Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bloody hell, Stat, you snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. And I nearly caught you to push you into third!

I can only assume that something dodgy was afoot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody hell, Stat, you snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. And I nearly caught you to push you into third!

I can only assume that something dodgy was afoot.
I did 2 things, one that is understandable, and one less so.

I think I did the same as Bold, I went all in on a Griepel double.
In order to afford him I bailed on Demare, and another FDJ rider, c'est la vie.

At the same time one of my less than competitive traits was also taking hold of me.

I started chasing the 10 points for last place. (1066 is now smashing his head into a wall).
Because it makes me laugh, and is always the first thing I check.
So curse you Maher Hasnaoui & Oscar Pujol of Skydive Dubai, for not being as sh*te as Michael Kolar of Tinkoff-Saxo. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Stat's are off to the Excel.

It'll be a phototastic evening chaps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving the show.

As they have a stand here, What should I say to the makers of The Albion's cycling jersey?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Loving the show.

As they have a stand here, What should I say to the makers of The Albion's cycling jersey?

Look back through this thread, and show them your designs. Explain that cyclists don't want to look like they are wearing football shirts - the Albion branding should be subtle and minimal.

Tell them that just because we like football as well as cycling, that does not mean that we lack class, elegance and style.

Hope you are having fun!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great day out with the added bonus that when the kids flagged (we were there for 6 hours) I could just given them a free sample gel!!

2 facts I already knew were underlined to me:-

1) I have expensive tastes.
B) For no apparent reason I really want a cyclo-cross bike.

Some of many photos

The Bike Show 004.jpg

The Bike Show 009.jpg

The Bike Show 011.jpg

The Bike Show 014.jpg

The Bike Show 015.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Chapeau to Steve Cummings, big win for him at the Tour Méditerranéen. He seems to be in the form of his life right now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chapeau to Steve Cummings, big win for him at the Tour Méditerranéen. He seems to be in the form of his life right now.
Not the first Brit to start the season winning there :whistle:

Was it last season or, shock horror, 18 months ago he won a Vuelta stage?
That's assuming he won, I seem to have a pretty vivid memory of the stage in question.
Souless route into town, a bit crosswindy, attack way too far out (gonna say 5kms), but nobody could catch him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Bike Show 022.jpg

The Bike Show 044.jpg

The Bike Show 046.jpg

The Bike Show 048.jpg

Attachments

• The Bike Show 025.jpg
    The Bike Show 025.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 79

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Not the first Brit to start the season winning there :whistle:

Was it last season or, shock horror, 18 months ago he won a Vuelta stage?
That's assuming he won, I seem to have a pretty vivid memory of the stage in question.
Souless route into town, a bit crosswindy, attack way too far out (gonna say 5kms), but nobody could catch him.

18 months ago, inside 4km to go but the basics are right, here's the video:

It really was a superb win, loved it at the time, and still do now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
18 months ago, inside 4km to go but the basics are right, here's the video:

It really was a superb win, loved it at the time, and still do now.
Great stuff, thanks P.

It's odd how I (we) remembered that.
Of all the cycling I've watched since that win, clearly, is easily in the top 10 of my memory.

I bet looking back a few of us were off, watching on Slipstream, and talking about it here.
Seeing it again I really remembered that stretch off road he attacked on t'other side of that bend.
I had the same thoughts again, 'having all that to ride in, balls out, full gas, must be fantastic & painful'.
What a rush.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
36 hours without a post on here, FA Cup fever?

We have a bit of a road racing mother load this week, with Oman starting today, there will be a 30 minute advert every day on Eurosport, sorry I meant highlights. No way will Carlton Kirby spend the majority of the time going on about what a great place Oman is, an ideal spring time holiday destination etc etc.

We also have the Ruta del Sol, Tour of Andalusia starting tomorrow with live coverage on Eurosport. Wiggins, Porte, Valverde, Kittel, Mollema, Scarponi and big Jens in this one. Looks a decent parcours as well, should be good.

Finally we have the Volta ao Algarve, also starting on Wednesday, this one will be very hard to follow. No TV and no English website hopefully there will be a comedy live text update translatable somewhere. Competing here we have Tony Martin, Rui Costa, Cavendish and Contador. Cav may actually be able to win a stage here as Kittel and Greipel are elsewhere :lolol:
As for the route, I have no idea cannot find it anywhere.

Does seem like madness to have three stage races all running at the same time especially as they are rated 2.HC, 2.1 and 2.1 so basically exactly the same. Surely it would make sense for one of them to be World Tour level? Imagine one of these tours with all the top teams rather than just a few, would be much better wouldn't it?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
36 hours without a post on here, FA Cup fever?

We have a bit of a road racing mother load this week, with Oman starting today, there will be a 30 minute advert every day on Eurosport, sorry I meant highlights. No way will Carlton Kirby spend the majority of the time going on about what a great place Oman is, an ideal spring time holiday destination etc etc.

We also have the Ruta del Sol, Tour of Andalusia starting tomorrow with live coverage on Eurosport. Wiggins, Porte, Valverde, Kittel, Mollema, Scarponi and big Jens in this one. Looks a decent parcours as well, should be good.

Finally we have the Volta ao Algarve, also starting on Wednesday, this one will be very hard to follow. No TV and no English website hopefully there will be a comedy live text update translatable somewhere. Competing here we have Tony Martin, Rui Costa, Cavendish and Contador. Cav may actually be able to win a stage here as Kittel and Greipel are elsewhere :lolol:
As for the route, I have no idea cannot find it anywhere.

Does seem like madness to have three stage races all running at the same time especially as they are rated 2.HC, 2.1 and 2.1 so basically exactly the same. Surely it would make sense for one of them to be World Tour level? Imagine one of these tours with all the top teams rather than just a few, would be much better wouldn't it?

Yeah, Cup Fever - and as a result I have forgotten to pick a team for Stage 1 of the Tour of Oman. Bollox.

It does seem strange to have so many top quality races on at the same time. Maybe it's because EVERYONE needs race practice, so they can't scrimp on the quality of competition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bumped into Brett last night. His facial expressions ranged from "who is this looney" to "this looney thinks he knows me" to "I have come across this looney before". Anyway, his off followed a rider falling in front of him. As he fell, he went over a barrier into the road (dual carriageway) resulting in £100 repairs and nearly a change of trousers.

No ToO on TV?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bumped into Brett last night. His facial expressions ranged from "who is this looney" to "this looney thinks he knows me" to "I have come across this looney before". Anyway, his off followed a rider falling in front of him. As he fell, he went over a barrier into the road (dual carriageway) resulting in £100 repairs and nearly a change of trousers.

No ToO on TV?
Every once in a while you post some amazingly bizarre sentences that don't make any sense. :lolol: :kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here