Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Heres the starting point of this years project. If I can get it up and running to cruise down to the beach by the Summer I will be happy.

Will be replacing the tyres, bars, pedals, grips, saddle, seat-post etc. to go more old school, & taking off all the decals. Not sure whether the modern frames lend themselves to the retro BMX style, but we'll see....

IMG-20230122-WA0003.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thats really spooky as Ive decided to put old school blue tyres and grips on it! Blue levers would finish it off nicely I reckon....How much do you want for them?
Nothing - drop something into a food bank if you really must.
PM me an address and I'll post them on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bless ya. thanks Stat, will ping you a message (y)
With unprecedented levels competence the levers (and an extra bonus) are on their way to you.

In the old days I'd say they'll be with you in the morning - I'm not sure the RM service is at that standard now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yeah news from Stat World - (think less Theme Park more Japanese Gameshow)

I've reminded myself back in April I was in a bad way regarding my job, knew I needed out but couldn't take the plunge.
Threw it open to NSC, spurred on by kind words, I personed up and a new better job appeared - everyone lived happily ever after...

...lots of aspects about my new job were great (cycle commute for one) but it turns out it is a bit of a wrong'un.
To the point of the whole process starting again, that being saying to myself 'I should leave', massive bout of procrastination, then in 6 months time find myself really weighed down by the fact I was still there.

Anyhoo current job is recruiting and fella turned up saying he'd turned down a similar position at a company I'd never heard of, to work with us as it's nearer.
I immediately (literally immediately) sloped off an emailed them to see if job is available.
They jumped at the chance to interview me, and offered me the job there and then I start next week.
The fella lasted a morning with us, before leaving, saying it wasn't for him.

Once again I have a strong feeling that everyone will live happily ever after.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oi if it was one of you mugs trying to get some credibility by parking your Tonka bike next to The Strat, I'll tell you now, The Strat ain't happy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I read a new cycle route opens next month between Lewes and Eastbourne, anyone know where it starts from in Lewes ?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I read a new cycle route opens next month between Lewes and Eastbourne, anyone know where it starts from in Lewes ?
I would imagine you're talking about the new one down the A27 past Middle Farm etc?
The existing part goes from Lewes down to the Firle turnoff, & you get to that from Southerham Lane on the Cliffe Ind Est (where Monkey Bizness is). The new section is on the South side of the A27 from Firle onwards...so you have to cross the A27 at Firle, then go along Wick Street to get to the new section.
Not been on it myself yet, but a few friends have already used it and said its super smooth and great to ride. If you have the latest version of Google Earth, you can see it on there.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
BMX Update 1:

Brake levers & grips (from Stat)...delivered (y)
Layback seat post...delivered (y)
Pedals...reclaimed off a mate (y)
SE Flyer saddle (with built in bottle opener 😎)...ordered (y)
Old School Handlebars...ordered (y)

Grand total of £35

Just need to decide on which tyres I want next month....

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are shitting me.

My last bugbear re The Strat was the chain guard holder behind the crank.
Naturally the cotter pin was ceased in, so I left the nut off the pin and have waited for the inevitable.

Well during this morning's jaunt for breakfast it all loosened up and I can finally get to the holder.

View attachment 148355

Aarrrgggghhhhhh - any advise on getting that off, when your biggest spanner is far to big and your second biggest is about 1 mm too small.
I have one final gremlin on The Strat, it being the same bolt thingy.
It won't stay screwed in tight, undoing itself as the distance increases.

Obvs it's not a problem bombing around town and promenading! but it's only just holding together on AMEX runs.

What do I need to secure it in place?
I thought about that white plastic tape to stop leaks, but Jnr was far from convinced.

Any help?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I have one final gremlin on The Strat, it being the same bolt thingy.
It won't stay screwed in tight, undoing itself as the distance increases.

Obvs it's not a problem bombing around town and promenading! but it's only just holding together on AMEX runs.

What do I need to secure it in place?
I thought about that white plastic tape to stop leaks, but Jnr was far from convinced.

Any help?
So the whole chain holder bracket thingy is coming loose?
My crank arm / BB bolt kept coming loose on the red "graveller", so I just popped a small dollop of decent superglue onto the thread & tightened it up as much as possible. Seemed to work well & its been fine since.
Also easy enough to undo if needs be when tinkering about. Would that work for the strat??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So the whole chain holder bracket thingy is coming loose?
My crank arm / BB bolt kept coming loose on the red "graveller", so I just popped a small dollop of superglue onto the thread which seemed to work well & its been fine since.
Also easy enough to undo if needs be when tinkering about. Would that work for the strat??
Thanks, I'll give Superglue a go.

Yeah the spindle the cotter pinned crank arms attach too, won't stay tight on the chain side of the BB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
@Weststander I'm not sure the current thread regarding death and destruction on the roads, is the place to answer your question, as I fear it'll open the doors to the 'red light' brigade.

TBH I've not really changed my road positioning, I still ride a couple of inches wider than drain covers.
I guess the new provisions mean I can push out further, almost the same again, but invariably I ride with a driver's head on, not a cyclist.

Much to my surprise I have far less close passes now, than before the law change, which obviously is great.
But to be honest I was always a little at odds with my own community anyway, about close passes, very rarely showing any displeasure, probably because I expected every pass to be close!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
There are some lovely roads on the Tour of Valencia today.
Totally lost track with the start of the season. Is it being shown on Eurosport?
I cancelled my GCN+ subscription last month as I just haven't found the time to watch anything on there for months - so will have to solely rely on ES for my racing fix this season.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thanks, I'll give Superglue a go.

Yeah the spindle the cotter pinned crank arms attach too, won't stay tight on the chain side of the BB.
I know it seems a crude way of doing it (and I wouldn't do it on one of my decent bikes) but it does seem to work pretty well.
I used a cheap glue at first which didn't hold, but tried a decent brand afterwards and its never budged since.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Totally lost track with the start of the season. Is it being shown on Eurosport?
I cancelled my GCN+ subscription last month as I just haven't found the time to watch anything on there for months - so will have to solely rely on ES for my racing fix this season.
I converted from Sky to BTtv and had to go VIP to get ES. Now, it is free via Discovery+ added to BT Sports. If you have BT internet, it is worth a shufty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here