Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Question for any hardcore Mountain Bike riders, anyone ridden the South Downs Way in a day?
Apologies if this has been asked before on this thread but I really haven't got the time to read through 2,200 pages to find out.
Anyways, just wondered if any had ridden the 100 miles in one day and how they fared? I'm thinking of attempting the ride in early July - given the optimal hours of sunlight available around this time of year. Catch the first train to Winchester and then start the epic ride about 07:30 in the morning. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Question for any hardcore Mountain Bike riders

Why?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Question for any hardcore Mountain Bike riders, anyone ridden the South Downs Way in a day?
Apologies if this has been asked before on this thread but I really haven't got the time to read through 2,200 pages to find out.
Anyways, just wondered if any had ridden the 100 miles in one day and how they fared? I'm thinking of attempting the ride in early July - given the optimal hours of sunlight available around this time of year. Catch the first train to Winchester and then start the epic ride about 07:30 in the morning. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Ignore Stat....anything over 28c without drop bars and he doesn't want to know! :wink:

Two of my mates did the SDW for the BHF a couple of Summers ago....one of the toughest things they've ever done. They started at 4.30am after staying in a hotel the night before, and me and another friend joined them for the last few miles from Southease to Eastbourne. That was enough tbh because the hills in the height of Summer were just brutal. The guys who had done the whole route were dehydrated, cramping up, and roasted by the sun by the time we met them....this despite stopping to refuel at every refreshment "pit-stop" provided along the way. I took 4 bottles and got through all of them in about 20 miles. The thing that stands out most is seeing my mate curling up in a ball, almost in tears with cramp on the hillside near Jevington. Never seen him in such pain before....and these are two guys who do club running and have run about 15 marathons between them....and also cycle about 5000 miles a year each. Think we finished about 4pm in the end.

Its certainly doable in a day if you are super fit - but, if like me you're not, but you still want to do it in one day, I would suggest starting earlier if the weather is forecast to be hot. LOTS of drinks and snacks will be needed....and take advantage of any cafe stops you can. Try not to choose a day thats going to be +30 degrees too! :mad:

Im actually considering it at some point...but will be bike-packing it and taking a couple of days at least!

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Thanks so much for offering an insight and some personal experiences [MENTION=24884]Fignon's Ponytail[/MENTION].:clap2:
Holy shizzle, that does sound tough especially given the conditions on a very hot day!
I guess a lot of fitness will need to be built up as well as regular refueling to complete the route. I had considered myself reasonably fit until I read your mates experiences, I do about 2500 miles a year and try get on the Downs when I can but if someone who has 5000 miles in their tank is struggling with the route then I need to do some serious thinking and fitness work before attempting the route! Also choosing a milder day would be a good idea as you don't want to be exposed on the Downs in blazing sunshine. I guess do a reccy ride from Winchester and see how far I get would be a good idea, at least challenge myself to ride to Devils Dyke and then its downhill to Hove from there.

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
I'd forgotten about this thread... Here's a photo from a recent trip to Gran Canaria, probably my favourite winter sun destination on the bike.
Amazing (and tough) place for cycling at this time of year.

gc1_edited.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thanks so much for offering an insight and some personal experiences [MENTION=24884]Fignon's Ponytail[/MENTION].:clap2:
Holy shizzle, that does sound tough especially given the conditions on a very hot day!
I guess a lot of fitness will need to be built up as well as regular refueling to complete the route. I had considered myself reasonably fit until I read your mates experiences, I do about 2500 miles a year and try get on the Downs when I can but if someone who has 5000 miles in their tank is struggling with the route then I need to do some serious thinking and fitness work before attempting the route! Also choosing a milder day would be a good idea as you don't want to be exposed on the Downs in blazing sunshine. I guess do a reccy ride from Winchester and see how far I get would be a good idea, at least challenge myself to ride to Devils Dyke and then its downhill to Hove from there.

No problem...good luck!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

To add another reference point for you.

I don't ride knobbly tyres, being strictly into road, but I'm told that off road is basically double the effort in terms of miles. I don't doubt that either, from the very limited amout of mtb riding I done years ago. So 50 miles off road is likely equivalent to a century on the road.

I ride approx 5,000 odd miles a year. My longest ever one day ride was just over 200 miles. It was about the same elevation that you mention too, at around 4,000 metres. It took me and my mate about 15 hours I think, and it's not something I plan on doing again anytime soon :lol: Century rides I really enjoy, but beyond 120 to 130 miles in a day all the fun disappears for me.

So in summary. Fair play to you if you do go for the full SDW in a day. I know lots of people have done it, and you could do it too if you really want to . But don't underestimate how hard it's likely to be.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I tried an electric bike today for the first time. A work mate had his mtb converted. Bloody amazing bit of kit! It has three power settings and on level 3 it's almost like riding a moped :lol:

He's selling his car next and going to now cycle everywhere. He summed it up perfectly when he said electric bikes are like a gateway drug to exercise and a different lifestyle. Can't argue with that :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ignore Stat....anything over 28c without drop bars and he doesn't want to know! :wink:

Just the usual leg pulling.
It's easy to forget our little forum is open to everybody!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I know a couple of mates did it through the night and day and had a support car for food and change of socks! Reckon a day must be a seriously tough undertaking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1234919337414148096[/tweet]

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

Hi, always happy to wax lyrical about this one. Do a bit of practice, get started early and keep moving is the best advice. Oh, make sure you know where the water taps are as you'll need them.
https://muddymoles.org.uk/rides/sdwiad-completing-a-challenge

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Now appears that Jumbo Visma have withdrawn from Strade Bianche this weekend, as well as EF Pro Cycling.

Still not sure this will even be held if anyone else drops out in the next 48hrs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here