Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bloody Hell...he's quite a prospect, isn't he. Amazing stuff.

I didn't expect him to do that, but I was quite surprised to see him at 44/1 for that race.

I like the way he rides back onto the peloton, drops bidons off to Mas and Devenyns, then......ok Skujiņš, I'll come with you, do more than my fair share of the work, then......see you later everyone :lol:

Reminds me of the way Sir Thomas of Dr Gendt can simply just ride everyone off his wheel .

Phenomenal talent! He's won races this way before, and I'm sure he'll do so again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know I've only just taken delivery of my new Orbea - but Im already thinking of the next machine once its paid off (n+1 & all that...). Anybody dealt with Planet X for complete bikes?
Im seriously considering the Spitfire Ti with SRAM components as there are just too many carbon "lookalikes" out there....and I much prefer a traditional looking bike.

View attachment 114253

Anybody ridden titanium frames before, or got one currently?

A club mate has a planet X titanium. He loves it.

I built up a planet X ali frame the other Christmas. Put 11 speed Campag Centaur on it and full mudguards with long drop TRP brakes. Ridden it pretty much everyday for past couple of years on daily commute and loads of Winter Audaxing and club rides. The brand new frame did need rethreading and facing up before I could fit the bottom bracket, and getting the right headset was limiting too, but I love the bike to ride and look at and feel very comfortable on it.

If I had the money I might consider upgrading to a Ti frame and build myself again, but then I'd go for a Dolan Adx if that were the case. It isn't going to happen.

As you say, you get better value buying a full bike. If you can find the set up you're happy with. I know several other club mates with ti bikes and they all love them. But then again, for the price they paid I doubt they'd say they're shite, even if they were :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
P.S. I have Sram Rival on my carbon bike. Nice enough, but I still much prefer Campag.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I managed to narrowly avoid being wiped out this morning, why do these things mostly happen in the rain?! I was cycling downhill, easily doing 20mph because it's a long downhill and I was about halfway and I spotted a car in the midst of performing a u-turn so it was at a dodgy angle to see what was coming behind it. Knowing that it would be harder for them to see me (the advantage of also being a driver) I moved out into the middle of the road to make it easier, thinking they'd be checking out of the window before pulling across the road blindly. Wrong! They can never have even glanced to the right, assuming for no logical reason that it's clear and thinking they can pull out fully into my lane before completing the manouevre. I was far too close at that speed to be able to stop, I was already on the brakes but it's particularly wet with a lot of standing water on the road so stopping was impossible, and there were parked cars beyond this u-turner so I couldn't have gone in behind. I had to fly around into the other side of the road to avoid being hit, luckily for me there was nothing coming but I already knew it was clear.

I didn't bother stopping to banter it out with the driver, mainly because of the road conditions and the driving rain... but it's another classic example of the cyclist being responsible for avoiding an accident a motorist is attempting to cause. Very poor show.

Venting complete. :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Had a spin on the bike yesterday which felt great.
If anyone needs new tyres, the Jack Brown Mile Munchers Blue (25mm) I bought feel absolutely amazing. Roll nice and quick, grippy, and as comfy as an armchair at 100psi. They look superb too. Not bad for £15 a pop at Planet X.

mm1.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh dear god, I nearly forgot (because I wasn't close enough :down: )

Out with Phil and Jnr last week we were heading for home across the ridge at Goodwood, lovely elevated views of the flatlands then out to sea.

Anyhoo in the distance I could see Phil charging to what might have been a body in the road. (the false flat leading to that point had done for me).

The bodies got up and out of the road as Phil approached.

As I trundled past a man was looking up and down the road.
An attractive women looking smart even in her long coat was on her phone.
They were both stood in front of a fully advertised 'professional' looking Rally Car, parked back off the road.

(For those of you as slow as me)

It turns out Phil was trying to sneak up on a fella taking naughty photos of this model, in the road, in front of the car, while attempting to corrupt 14 year old Jnr in the process. :lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Oh dear god, I nearly forgot (because I wasn't close enough :down: )

Out with Phil and Jnr last week we were heading for home across the ridge at Goodwood, lovely elevated views of the flatlands then out to sea.

Anyhoo in the distance I could see Phil charging to what might have been a body in the road. (the false flat leading to that point had done for me).

The bodies got up and out of the road as Phil approached.

As I trundled past a man was looking up and down the road.
An attractive women looking smart even in her long coat was on her phone.
They were both stood in front of a fully advertised 'professional' looking Rally Car, parked back off the road.

(For those of you as slow as me)

It turns out Phil was trying to sneak up on a fella taking naughty photos of this model, in the road, in front of the car, while attempting to corrupt 14 year old Jnr in the process. :lolol:

Damn your inadequate legs & lack of speed with a camera.

Reminds me of my ride last week as well. Out on the mtb at lunchtime trundling along the clifftops at Newhaven / Peacehaven - and rode past a mid 40's couple lying out enjoying the sun. She in a small bikini, and enjoying a rather intimate "massage" from her hubby!! :wink::eek:

I almost rode off the edge of the cliff!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Anyone else a bit :shrug: about the American races? Been watching the Tour of Utah this week and, while undoubtedly beautiful to look at, I just cant get excited about the racing. Dont know whether its because its full of riders / teams I've not heard of, or something else, but it just doesn't quite hit the spot...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Semi regular contributor on The Guardian Football Weekly podcast and stalwart Guardian Serie A football writer, Paulo Bandini has announced he's now Nicky Bandini and she is transgender.

Fair enough, Glendenning commented on her tell all Twitter video post:-

'Is that all I thought you were joining The Athletic'. :lol:

I followed the post, got halfway through the article then stopped when I read words to the effect of:-

'As far as I know I'm the only transgender sports writer/reporter'.

Come on, Shirley that's a bit of a leap?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Have we seen the last of Cav?

I notice from his instagram (yes, I am that sad), that he has been training in 'normal' assos kit, rather than Dimension Data kit. I can't see him winning any more stages at le Tour. Part of me thinks he should switch his focus to the velodrome and the Madison, which is back in the Olympics near year.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Have we seen the last of Cav?

I notice from his instagram (yes, I am that sad), that he has been training in 'normal' assos kit, rather than Dimension Data kit. I can't see him winning any more stages at le Tour. Part of me thinks he should switch his focus to the velodrome and the Madison, which is back in the Olympics near year.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh. Personally, I thought he should've retired at the end of last season, but I guess he needed to see how his legs and body were for a while longer after his EB episode.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I try to avoid the seafront bike path as often as possible because of all the pedestrians...but what a joy it was this morning riding out to Carats and back. Just me and a few runners & riders enjoying the sun coming up, & the town waking up...perfect start to the day.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I've signed up for a year of the brompton bike hire scheme. Tomorrow will be my first which I think starts with a krypton factor style puzzle of unfolding the bike.
The scheme allows users to reserve a folding bike from a station and return it to any locker in the UK. So it's a ride alongside a Birmingham canal for me tomorrow morning on the way to work - or 30 minutes of confusion and off to get the tram!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I cycled round the Isle of Wight yesterday and thought it was an excellent route. Every junction is clearly signposted for the round the island routes, white on blue background or blue on white background, depending on which way round you are going. Apart from a few busy roads, most of it was on narrow country lanes and I hardly saw any cars. What impressed me most though was that all of the roads were very smooth (except a gravelly but from Freshwater to Yarmouth) and I don’t remember seeing a single pothole on the entire ride. I’ll definitely go back and ride it again (if only to get 150 or so Strava PRs).

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I cycled round the Isle of Wight yesterday and thought it was an excellent route. Every junction is clearly signposted for the round the island routes, white on blue background or blue on white background, depending on which way round you are going. Apart from a few busy roads, most of it was on narrow country lanes and I hardly saw any cars. What impressed me most though was that all of the roads were very smooth (except a gravelly but from Freshwater to Yarmouth) and I don’t remember seeing a single pothole on the entire ride. I’ll definitely go back and ride it again (if only to get 150 or so Strava PRs).

Im looking at doing a couple of days around the Wight next April when the wife and kids are in Florida. Been there loads of times on holiday, but never taken the bike with me - & always regret it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here