Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
What was all the beef about today??

Not entirely sure tbh - but certainly not enough to get both kicked off the tour in my opinion, having watched the incident. Both riders dealt with it & apologized to each other while out on the road - which should've been enough in my opinion. Give them a slap on the wrist & a fine, but throw them out the race?? FFS....:facepalm:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Twitter seems to have blown up at the UCI, telling them they're complete idiots and the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Probably won't change the dumbest of decisions though, but does feel rather cathartic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No punishment

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have expected to wake up to news that the Rowe/Martin incident had been referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. I'm sure there is a 'quick' process for incidents like this, that need hearing almost instantly.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
So if Alaphilippe now goes on to win it's going to be a tainted victory as there will be a lot of "what if the UCI wasn't so corrupt". Pity as I'm growing to like him.

Not so sure it will be tainted - sure, Rowe & Martin are faithful, and very strong, domestiques to the main challengers, but I dont think it'll make that much difference in all honesty. Im looking at it purely from the POV of the incident itself, but I understand where you're coming from.

Its all on Alaphilippes shoulders in my opinion. If he wins, its purely down to him performing out of his skin...& will be thoroughly deserved. For what its worth though, I think he will crack these next 3 days & lose the yellow.

And if neither he nor Pinot win the race, watch France go into complete and utter meltdown after what has been a great TDF for the home nation so far!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So if Alaphilippe now goes on to win it's going to be a tainted victory as there will be a lot of "what if the UCI wasn't so corrupt". Pity as I'm growing to like him.

Alaphilippe will be a worthy winner if he holds on.

Only from what I've seen, think Luke Rowe just cannot raise his hands in retaliation no matter how bad he feels Martin's riding was.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another tactical masterclass from Movistar.
Clearly setting themselves up for a 1-2-3 on the stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Credit where credit is due.

Movistar did well today, they were the only team capable of catching the winner.
Sure they couldn't quite do it but they did singlehandedly take 2 minutes off his lead.

Chap...

...oh.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So who is going to win?

On paper you wouldn't expect Alaphilippe to lose time tomorrow, I don't think, based on how he's going? So will he lose 100 seconds on Saturday? Quite possibly, but to who? Then again maybe someone will take time tomorrow...

Bernal is the current bookies favourite, followed by Pinot, Alaphilippe then Thomas, but I would say what's left suits Thomas more than what we have already had!

Edit: Saturday's finale is 33 kms @ 5.5% :lolol:

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not entirely sure tbh - but certainly not enough to get both kicked off the tour in my opinion, having watched the incident. Both riders dealt with it & apologized to each other while out on the road - which should've been enough in my opinion. Give them a slap on the wrist & a fine, but throw them out the race?? FFS....:facepalm:

So next time there's a dangerous tackle in a football match, the done to player responds by raising his hands, so long as they make up and shake hands, the ref shouldn't send either of them off?

Sorry, I have no sympathy for either rider in this. Both as bad as each other there and both got what they deserved.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nothing quite like consistency, but then again a guy from Italy wasn't in pink at the time and needing all the help he can get to stay out in front. #cynicism

Consistency you say?

Remind me the last time a rider caught on camera laying hands on another rider wasn't kicked off the race.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here