Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Currently NO TRAINS for the Colchester or Forest games

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unfortunately all that bollocks about 'sustainable transport'* we had to go along with in order to get the stadium is now coming back to bite us on the bum. It's great that rail plays such an important role in getting people to the stadium, but car use was pushed way too far down. The club will regret rolling over so easily when it came to residents' parking in Coldean.

You raise a fair point about lack of alternatives but I'm not sure where a car park for a couple of thousand cars could have been built near the stadium - it was tough enough getting planning permission for the stadium.

And, I might be wrong, but I thought it was pressure from the council that pushed through the ban on parking in Coldean and Moulsecoomb. We certainly had a vote on it (I voted for allowing parking but I was in a minority)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the council can suspend the parking ban on matchday strike days ? ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm sure the club will turn down a chance of £100K.

100K is nothing though compared to the good PR they will get from the fans - how much revenue will it lose for the fans who will not be able to go, which will run into 1,000's as many will not have an alternative means to getting to the ground.

KO is also guaranteed to be delayed like it was when the seagulls travel coaches and car travellers were delayed last season, P&R will be full well before many will be able to get there.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
PB should be having a word with southern rail about the enormous sum of money the club pays these tossers for travel services and that we partly pay for on our season ticket. I (ie PB) would be wanting an effing refund of some sort (not for he Colcheter game before the pedants pick me up on that) .

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It wouldn't surprise me if (should the strike go ahead) the club get Southern to lay on plenty of coaches from the back of the station to run shuttles back and forth. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
PB should be having a word with southern rail about the enormous sum of money the club pays these tossers for travel services and that we partly pay for on our season ticket. I (ie PB) would be wanting an effing refund of some sort (not for he Colcheter game before the pedants pick me up on that) .

pretty sure compared to the daily numbers of "customers" they don't give a monkeys about (hundred thousand plus ?). 15k going to the football is probably largely irrelevant

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You raise a fair point about lack of alternatives but I'm not sure where a car park for a couple of thousand cars could have been built near the stadium - it was tough enough getting planning permission for the stadium.
Bennett's Field. You would have to build downwards not upwards for planning reasons. You could have a multi-storey at the Bridge as well. Both would need junction improvements, though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

And, I might be wrong, but I thought it was pressure from the council that pushed through the ban on parking in Coldean and Moulsecoomb. We certainly had a vote on it (I voted for allowing parking but I was in a minority)
Oh I accept it was tough enough. I remember Lord Bracknell saying that he crossed his fingers at one of the enquiries as he held up a single letter from Connex (remember them?) saying yeah they could get 20-odd thousand people on the trains to Falmer and back on match days no problem. And we'd have NEVER have got permission if we'd tried to include a massive great car park on the other side of Village Way - even if we did say it could have been used as a Brighton park 'n' ride site on non-match days (helping to solve another more general local transport problem, but I digress).

And yes, the transport system does work pretty well, but we have got an awful lot of our eggs in the rail basket and those chickens could now come home to roost (excuse the mixed poultry metaphors). The club should have pushed back on the council over Coldean before it even came to a vote. Also perhaps the club (and the council) could have run the idea past local farmers of using their fields for temporary parking like Glastonbury - even if that was just for contingency planning. I'm sure there are umpteen billion by-laws that would need amending to allow that, and of course there is also a lack of political will to even pursue such an idea.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
100K is nothing though compared to the good PR they will get from the fans - how much revenue will it lose for the fans who will not be able to go, which will run into 1,000's as many will not have an alternative means to getting to the ground.

KO is also guaranteed to be delayed like it was when the seagulls travel coaches and car travellers were delayed last season, P&R will be full well before many will be able to get there.

You are joking aren't you? Aren't you?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It wouldn't surprise me if (should the strike go ahead) the club get Southern to lay on plenty of coaches from the back of the station to run shuttles back and forth. Not ideal but better than nothing.

I doubt there are many spare buses/coaches, a lot are contracted for P&R and Seagull Travel plus of course Southern using them already on the Seaford line etc

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Walk up Ditchling Road and through Stanmer, beautiful.
What about those who don't live in that area? How do they get to Ditchling Road in the first place? They can't even drive there as we've now got controlled parking (I'm a Fiveways resident too).

EDIT: Before the controlled parking people DID used to do that. People used to park in my road (I'm in one of the roads off Ditchling Road before you get to Hollingbury Park) and either walk down to the Vogue Gyratory to get a bus, or walk across the hill fort. They can't do that now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
massive great car park on the other side of Village Way - even if we did say it could have been used as a Brighton park 'n' ride site on non-match days (helping to solve another more general local transport problem, but I digress).
This wouldn't work as park and ride would be most needed, or only needed, on Saturdays.

using their fields for temporary parking like Glastonbury - even if that was just for contingency planning
Not possible in the National Park.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
What about those who don't live in that area? How do they get to Ditchling Road in the first place? They can't even drive there as we've now got controlled parking (I'm a Fiveways resident too).

hmm, Seagulls Player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here