Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Current Barcelona team, best side ever?

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
15 games in, gd of +38, having scored 26 goals in their last 6 matches. So could any of the great teams in the past beat this Barcelona side when they're on form?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm not so sure they could, they are unbelievable at the moment. Although if we played like we played at Peterborough I think we'd beat them 3-1.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
See how they do in the Champions League first. Other than Barca and Real Madrid, and maybe one or two others, there's not a great deal of quality in the Spanish league. It's fast turning into the SPL.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
See how they do in the Champions League first. Other than Barca and Real Madrid, and maybe one or two others, there's not a great deal of quality in the Spanish league. It's fast turning into the SPL.

You could have said that here though for many recent years, either United and The Arse, or United and Chelsea.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Their 3rd goal yesterday (Messi' 1st) was an unbelievable goal, never see anything like that in England. You need to watch it for about a two minutes before the goal, not just the highlights. The way they knock it about is amazing. Just proves you don't have to fill your team full of 6ft plus players, Barca are statistically the smallest team in La Liga.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Straight from the Stats on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/OptaJose):
Barcelona made 938 passes v R.Sociedad last night, 25 more than Stoke have made in their last 3 PL games put together (915). Damm. Also have broken records for most passes in one game in La Liga and Champions League

Last edited:

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Think I head that Xavi made about 120 passes which was a new La Liga record and was only on for about 65 minutes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
15 games in, gd of +38, having scored 26 goals in their last 6 matches. So could any of the great teams in the past beat this Barcelona side when they're on form?

Get in amoung them and it's often a different story. Inter Milan last season were not particularly special, but the special one nullified them as did Chelsea the season Barca won it, and lets be fair, should have won the game with at least 5 penalty decisions, it was a travesty Barca even got to the final.

Liverpool circa 1984 would have given them a game, AC Milan 1994, Real Madrid 1960.

Barca are a fantastic side, but should be retaining the Champions League before we start saying they're the best side ever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My thread of 2 weeks ago entitled "Liquid Football" asked the same question. I think the answer is still YES.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They are stunning, and it's an impossible question to answer. I would have thought the United team that won the treble, the Arsenal team that went the whole season unbeaten, and the Chelsea team of 05-06 might have given them a good run for thier money. As for pre the mid 90s, it becomes even more difficult as the style of play and general fitness of players was so different.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Real Madrid of Pushkas fame are acknowleged to be the greatest club side ever ( many European cups etc) Liverpool of the late 70's and Eighties under Bob Paisley were an awesome side also.

This Barca side are undoubtedly a very good side in a very strange league.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
What about the past Ajax sides? Heard they were good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What about the past Ajax sides? Heard they were good.
Ajax, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Liverpool could all lay claim to "best team ever" at different points in their history. Bold Seagull nailed this one, let's see Barca retain the Champions League before concluding that they are the best ever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ajax, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Liverpool could all lay claim to "best team ever" at different points in their history. Bold Seagull nailed this one, let's see Barca retain the Champions League before concluding that they are the best ever.

They don't even hold it, so how are they gonna retain it? I haven't seen them take apart a really good European team yet which they will need to do to be considered the best. In fact they tend to struggle against good teams - Inter Milan, 10 man Arsenal. Chelsea.

They are great to watch but best team ever - nope

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barcelona dont come any where near to Real Madrids record in Europe.

Barcelona won the European Cup in 1992 and the Championsleague in 2006 and 2009 ;

Real Madrid won it in 1956, 57, 68 59.60 66 and 68 2000 and 2002 (I think cant read my own writing) and finalists in 71 & 83 so there is no contest.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here