Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curbs on EU benefits to come into force on 1 January!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
They should not pay any money to any immigrants unless they have paid into the system for at least a year. If they then quit work to claim, should only be able to claim for 6 months max, or bugger off.

You would get my vote!

As for food banks, I cannot understand why they are needed when the benefits in this country are adequate.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
They should not pay any money to any immigrants unless they have paid into the system for at least a year. If they then quit work to claim, should only be able to claim for 6 months max, or bugger off.

I have no problem with anyone coming here to work. But benefits should only be paid to citizens of this country (by which I mean the whole UK). If you want to live here on benefits (either entirely or with top ups) then you need to be claiming them from your own state. This, I think, would be perfectly fair and equitable.

This gives free movement to those willing to work (which is the principle of EU Directive #1) but without placing undue strain on the most generous states.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope that they have an English language test for these immigrants.

Just like they have a Spanish language test for all those elderly Brits living on the Costa Del Sol and using their health service, one assumes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Difference is that the elderly in Spain have their own health insurance and pensions.

Few do. They're a huge drain on Spanish health resources.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's all smoke and mirrors - a "look how tough we are" stance that is entirely undermined by the fact that EU residents can claim benefits from their home government for three months wherever they are in the EU. So I could go to France and claim 3 months of benefits from the British government. This begs the question - what is the point of this new legislation making immigrants wait three months ?

This.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Labour Party are such a Mickey Mouse shower of shite now it's no joke.

After 13 years of an "Open Door" policy they have the temerity to criticise the government for leaving this new measure too late in the day. Yet earlier this week they promised to double the building and construction in this country to build new homes. If people think a lot of Romanians and Bulgarians will arrive here in 2014 and thereafter the numbers will be a mere fraction of what it would have been if "Open Door" Miliband and "Building Jobs For All" Balls were running the country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On a slightly different but still European Tack, I read this morning that our government has refused potential funding from a new EU fund to combat poverty in member countries, which could have given us £22,000,000 to help finance the provision of food banks and similar, on the basis that such things should be dealt with by national governments.

WHY?????

if the rest of the EU funding is a guide, it would probably cost us £24m to provide that funding.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I'm assuming you've never tried to live off JSA ?

About fifteen years ago for a period of about 12 weeks I think.
Is it not about £70 though? Not to mention your rent is paid and council tax. So could I survive on £70 a week for food and heating? Yes I really think I could

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is it not about £70 though? Not to mention your rent is paid and council tax. So could I survive on £70 a week for food and heating? Yes I really think I could

It's about £75 a week. You're assuming that someone on JSA rents - what about those with mortgages ? Regardless, the average would be about £325 a month. Now remove around £100 for gas and electric and another £25 for water. So you now have £200 for a whole month. Most people have a car - and many need one for gain work - so another £20 on car tax and another £35 on insurance. Now down to £145. We'll ignore things like servicing the car or boiler. So you're left with less than a fiver a day for food, clothing and any incidental costs such as getting to the job centre every other week or going to interviews.

Personally I wouldn't call that "adequate" - it's the absolute minimum.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What!? So if I moved to France for 10 years working full time in the period and then was made redundant you would want me to claim benefits from the UK?
Also, why can you be free to move to another UK city and get a job and live there/claim benefits if you need them but if you cross a border you are left on your own? Why can't you go and work and live in Paris, Rome or Munich if you are born in the UK. Why should we be constrained by the origin of our birth?

Exactly it is about free movement for work purposes not to claim benefits and other stuff, until the EU has a united benefits and taxation system this problem will continue, why should the French pay benefits to you ?

D

Deleted member 22389

The Labour Party are such a Mickey Mouse shower of shite now it's no joke.

After 13 years of an "Open Door" policy they have the temerity to criticise the government for leaving this new measure too late in the day. Yet earlier this week they promised to double the building and construction in this country to build new homes. If people think a lot of Romanians and Bulgarians will arrive here in 2014 and thereafter the numbers will be a mere fraction of what it would have been if "Open Door" Miliband and "Building Jobs For All" Balls were running the country.

Correct they are a shower of shite. Wouldn't need three quarters of these new homes if they hadn't sent out the search parties in the first place.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ies-for-immigrants-Lord-Mandelson-admits.html

Hope people don't complain when the lovely fields in their area are slowly concreted over to make way for all this new housing that is needed.
I suppose on the one hand this will create jobs. Hope to see millions of Bristish Builders and Labourers employed if this is the case.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
It's about £75 a week. You're assuming that someone on JSA rents - what about those with mortgages ? Regardless, the average would be about £325 a month. Now remove around £100 for gas and electric and another £25 for water. So you now have £200 for a whole month. Most people have a car - and many need one for gain work - so another £20 on car tax and another £35 on insurance. Now down to £145. We'll ignore things like servicing the car or boiler. So you're left with less than a fiver a day for food, clothing and any incidental costs such as getting to the job centre every other week or going to interviews.

Personally I wouldn't call that "adequate" - it's the absolute minimum.

You have kind of proved my point that benefits are enough.

So you have a mortgage but have no job? erm you cannot afford the house. I do think they help with the interest on a mortgage though.
As for car insurance etc, thats taking the pish. Some people who work cannot afford to run a car so why should someone on benefits expect to. If you are left with less than a fiver a day for food because you choose to run a car then you are a fecking moron

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You have kind of proved my point that benefits are enough.

So you have a mortgage but have no job? erm you cannot afford the house. I do think they help with the interest on a mortgage though.
As for car insurance etc, thats taking the pish. Some people who work cannot afford to run a car so why should someone on benefits expect to. If you are left with less than a fiver a day for food because you choose to run a car then you are a fecking moron

I was pointing out that the black and white view of benefits is not right. So using your theory - a person that has paid tens of thousands of pounds into the system ( as I have ) and worked hard to own a home can just get stuffed because they can no longer afford their mortgage. Yet someone in rented or council housing can have their accommodation paid for if they become unemployed ? No, the benefit system in this country is screwed and anyone who thinks the benefits are higher enough are probably saying that from their ivory tower of employment.

Oct 25, 2003

in most cases you get a REDUCTION on council tax and rent (housing benefit). It certainly isn't paid for in most cases

i just did a quick online calculator for housing benefit and council tax reduction and if i claimed JSA i'd be left with about 50 quid a week (before bills)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here