Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Cucurella only needs a goal to sew up POTS"

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

We're not even going to talk unless you raise it to 17.2 million pounds!
download.jpeg

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I completely disagree.

If you'd have told the average Brighton fan at the start of this season we'd get a £13 million deal for Burn, most would have taken it there and then (or just laughed at you). With Cucurella's arrival on the left he'd just become third choice left back who'd be fighting Duffy for a centre back spot if we got an injury to one of our starting CBs. Yes, he had several good games at centre back after that but he also had a couple of huge mistakes earlier in the season and still looks like he has a ricket in him. I know that Newcastle were playing a City side who needed to be redeemed yesterday but Burn made an error that he only just recovered from inside the first 10 minutes while the third goal was collectively awful defending.

Secondly it genuinely is his boyhood club so denying him the opportunity would have left us with a sulking, unhappy camper around the place.

It's a deal that suited everyone and to play it any other way is bizarre.

Bollox . A player is sold at a value based on ability performance etc at time of sale not what he did or didn’t do 6 months ago too many examples to type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 5, 2017
Montana USA
I'm late to the thread but I'm here to heap my praise on Cucurella as well. That guy has absulutely worked his tail off for the club the entire season--his motor never quits, and every ball he plays has positive intent. I'm so happy for him. And what a rocket into the roof of the net--very fitting.

I'm not sure what to make of the Dan Burn sale. His departure coincided with the worst six-game run of the season for the club (along with the Webster injury and whatever was going on with Bissouma after the African Cup; tired?). Burn certainly fit the earnest hard-working character you like to have on your side, and I wonder if he improved more under Potter than many give him credit for.

If you had to sell either Lamptey or Cucurella?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm late to the thread but I'm here to heap my praise on Cucurella as well. That guy has absulutely worked his tail off for the club the entire season--his motor never quits, and every ball he plays has positive intent. I'm so happy for him. And what a rocket into the roof of the net--very fitting.

I'm not sure what to make of the Dan Burn sale. His departure coincided with the worst six-game run of the season for the club (along with the Webster injury and whatever was going on with Bissouma after the African Cup; tired?). Burn certainly fit the earnest hard-working character you like to have on your side, and I wonder if he improved more under Potter than many give him credit for.

If you had to sell either Lamptey or Cucurella?

Burn was just playing in his preferred position, and was playing well.

He was still fourth choice CB behind Dunk, Webster and Veltman, it was just we had injuries, given Cucurella’s adaptability in the last month, arguably he’d be fifth choice now.

It was good business for me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"Cucurella only needs a goal to sew up POTS"

No other club in prem would of sold a player that cheap with 17 months left on contract . The fact he wanted to go and play is irrelevant

Southampton sold Vestergaard to Leicester for a similar amount (£15m - 1 year left) in the summer. (Similar age , centre back ) . They’d bought him for £22m.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We were a bit unlucky with Dunk and Webster’s availability coinciding with Burn’s departure……if they’d both have been fit and available there wouldn’t be anything like as much discussion about it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bollox . A player is sold at a value based on ability performance etc at time of sale not what he did or didn’t do 6 months ago too many examples to type

Nope.

If that's the case then Cucurella, Gross, Caicedo and Biss are all worth north of £50 million and you wouldn't get a penny for Maupay.

In reality their value is simply what another club would be prepared to pay and we agree is a fair selling price. The four players named above are different ages, on vastly different contracts and worth vastly different amounts of money (or none at all), yet if today was the time of sale then, performance wise, they've just taken apart the mighty Man U.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well, the tv interview with Cucu and Dunk set me back a bit.

Not for a moment did I imagine Cucu had experienced issues settling in. I honestly just never gave it a moments thought. From the first minute he has played like he has always been doing it. The fact that he has now revealed language issues and settling in his family makes the consistency of performances bloody remarkable.

Yes. He can play left back. Probably the best we have ever had.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You can thank me for Cucu's goal. I benched him from my Fantasy team >.<

(I've also got Jansson benched ... 27 points between them)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Probably because we gave away Dan Burn for peanuts
Yeah that's probably the reason, but it's lazy journalism because that takes no account of how the club is run.

Burn left because a) he had a chance to play for his boyhood club and nobody wanted to stand in his way and b) whilst he was clearly worth more than £13m, we had cover and he had served the club well for 2 or 3 years despite his limitations. It is that sort of appreciation of the human angle that ensures good players will continue to be attracted to the club. Taking that financial hit under the right circumstances is all part of a longer term strategy IMO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If Cucurella won PotS, how likely is it that Spain might look at him seriously with a view to a World Cup place? We've already got Sanchez who is in the Spain squad, so you'd think Spanish national team scouts must be keeping tabs on Cucurella too.

I bet they're more open him getting a chance than the England clowns who never look beyond the big 6 and thus ensure we end up with shite like Maguire and Winks despite them being absolute dross.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If Cucurella won PotS, how likely is it that Spain might look at him seriously with a view to a World Cup place? We've already got Sanchez who is in the Spain squad, so you'd think Spanish national team scouts must be keeping tabs on Cucurella too.

I bet they're more open him getting a chance than the England clowns who never look beyond the big 6 and thus ensure we end up with shite like Maguire and Winks despite them being absolute dross.

Although I appreciate your argument, as a left back, he'd be more likely to be going if he was English. His competition would be Luke Shaw, Tyrick Mitchell and some out of position right backs. For Spain it's Jordi Alba, Marcos Alonso,Jose Gaya, Sergio Reguilon etc.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Southampton sold Vestergaard to Leicester for a similar amount (£15m - 1 year left) in the summer. (Similar age , centre back ) . They’d bought him for £22m.

Yep. And like Newcastle, Leicester also over paid for their man. Vestergaard is crap.

We did well out of the Burn deal. He’ll be a reserve next season for Newcastle and then be sold/loaned out to a Premier League/Championship yo-yo club after that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Given the focus on teams like United overseas, I'd imagine Cucu's goal v Man Utd will have done his chances the world of good. He's been excellent most of the season, I'm just glad he's now getting the attention his performances have warranted.

Also, Sanchez will have made a great case for inclusion ahead of De Gea for Spain too - a dominant display and THAT PASS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here