Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cuba

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Paradisus Rio de Oro was the top rated on Trip Advisor when we went out of 150, wonderful relaxation, 4 'world' restaurants & incredible buffet. Half Cuban, half Spanish run. Great value 5 stars at almost half price of rest of quality Caribbean as no Yanks to push prices up

We stayed at the Paradisus a couple of years ago, superb resort. We upgraded to the Royal service, the travel agent wanted £2000 to upgrade, but we upgraded when we got to the hotel, and it only cost us £600.

The presentation and quality of the food is probably the best I have had in the Caribbean.

We enjoyed our stay here so much, that the wife wants to return for her 40th birthday in 2015.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I went 2 years ago to Guardalavaca. My son enjoyed it so much he went back last year with his girlfriend. Lovely place and so safe, Cuba has the lowest crime rate in the Western Hemisphere. I will certainly go back there again.

Totally agree with this, the only place in the Caribbean that I have felt 100% safe when leaving the resort.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just to say that because the Cubans are so poor i was tipping the waiters. The waiters actually go to college and it is a good and well paid (for Cubans) job because it is one of the top jobs to have.
I met a couple of poor Cubans on the beach, i invited them over as they are not allowed to sit with tourists unless invited. My sons went and got food and drinks (AI) and they discreetly ate and drank it.
After chatting with them in broken Spanish, the younger fit one, asked me to get a taxi to her village the next day and they would return the hospitality. I thought about it, imagined i might get mugged etc, so never went. I was talking to one of the Cuban waiters who said they would be very upset and offended, they would have caught and served lobster and would have made me very welcome. By the end of the holiday i realised that these people are friendly, they dare not commit crime and were just being friendly and grateful.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You could visit the luxurious beach resorts of Veradero but they might just as well be on Trinidad, Jamaica or the Bahamas so don't be tempted to waste your time there when you could be exploring one of the finest cities I've ever experienced.

Amen.

Without wishing to appear to be a holiday snob... There is a lot more to Cuba than playing tennis, nice beaches (with swim up bars) and organised shopping trips.

A friend of mine visited Cuba a short while after me and followed the itinerary of a center parcs holiday. Don't do it! A waste of traveling all that way to a fascinating country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here