Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace set to battle Premier League rivals for Brighton star

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, no trolls tonight?

They must have all been watching Super Zaha playing for England.

Oh,wait

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not many players run down their contracts and then re-sign for that club.
How many players is Dale Stephens?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Other than of course no Bookmaker would take a bet of that enormity....not from you or I. And most especially from TB!
Tony Bloom'a Stalizard syndicate makes multimillion pound bets, via international bookies, on English football matches every weekend. He'd have no trouble placing such a bet.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Bloom won't sell him, and Stephens will walk out for free at the end of the season.
It's no secret that Stephens wanted out in the summer, so he'll probably see out his contract, and move to a bottom half PL team for a big signing on fee.
So from a business perspective sell him in January and get a return on Stephens as promotion is not a guarantee.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You'd turn down £200M? OK, I know they can't/won't pay that, but EVERY player has a price, so at what point between £10M and £200M do you think Tony would be likely to turn round and say, "OK then"? Because there certainly IS a point in there somewhere.

Maybe so but what price is an extended run in the Premier league? If we want to get there we cant allow teams to cherry pick our squad and being good enough to get there means having players they want. It is inevitable that some of these will be out of contract so we will have to take the risk and not sell. We also want to lose the tag of being a selling club.

Besides holding out may mean the player would be in a worse position if we go up and have funds to replace him with better and there is less interest..

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Tony Bloom'a Stalizard syndicate makes multimillion pound bets, via international bookies, on English football matches every weekend. He'd have no trouble placing such a bet.

Surely he can't bet on his own team ?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Well yes, I am well aware of Tony's gambling involvement both past and present. There is no, absolutely no way any a bet of that size would be accepted on behalf of TB.
Besides, and just as (or even more) importantly, your previous post suggests that as BHA are 8/15 on TB could, you say, then place 8/15 against to win. There is no way, (even a novice gambler would tell you) that the book would be square or over round to permit such a price! Any bookie offering 8/15 ON would at best only offer EVENS maybe 11/10 .....if you're lucky. Which is why bookies always win. But not going to happen anyway so hardly matters I guess. :smile:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe so but what price is an extended run in the Premier league? If we want to get there we cant allow teams to cherry pick our squad and being good enough to get there means having players they want. It is inevitable that some of these will be out of contract so we will have to take the risk and not sell. We also want to lose the tag of being a selling club.

Besides holding out may mean the player would be in a worse position if we go up and have funds to replace him with better and there is less interest..
We'll almost certainly lose Stephens in the summer. A vastly inflated over-the-top fee for him in January (if completed early on, not left until the last day) would still give us the chance to pay a lot of money for a replacement. And it wouldn't necessarily impede our progress to the PL either.
It's a fine balance. Fortunately I'm confident that CH, TB and the recruitment team will have worked out all the odds better than I can.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Bloom won't sell him, and Stephens will walk out for free at the end of the season.
It's no secret that Stephens wanted out in the summer, so he'll probably see out his contract, and move to a bottom half PL team for a big signing on fee.

like your mum

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dale Stephens will be 28 by the beginning of next season and like all players of that age he would want to be playing at the highest level his abilities warrant and to secure his financial future.

However, if I was him, I would tend to sign a new contract with a low £ non-promotion release clause, in case of injury? Not forgetting substantial promotion bonuses instead of a signing on fee.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we could offer him a 2 year contract for the 4 million fee that apparently burnley have offered him a s a signing on fee......that would then elevate his market value ....send a message to burnley , palace & apparently stoke that he won't be "stolen"......with the amount of money being thrown around the PL then stephens would have to be worth 12 -15 million.......anything less is just false economy....does anyone have any thoughts as to who a suitable replacement might be.......we might steal Lansbury , Jonny Russel , Jedinak......but are they the same sort of player as stephens.....?? 12 - 15 million early in jan and i reckon he goes....hope he doesn't though ,would really coke the goat if he accepted a new contract.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
£20m
Serious
He's worth that to us if we're still near the top

Don't be silly.

If the club have done their homework, we can cash in during January. He's worth about £6m with that length of contract remaining. He's a very good player, but remember he's been a sub at times.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
we could offer him a 2 year contract for the 4 million fee that apparently burnley have offered him a s a signing on fee......that would then elevate his market value ....send a message to burnley , palace & apparently stoke that he won't be "stolen"......with the amount of money being thrown around the PL then stephens would have to be worth 12 -15 million.......anything less is just false economy....does anyone have any thoughts as to who a suitable replacement might be.......we might steal Lansbury , Jonny Russel , Jedinak......but are they the same sort of player as stephens.....?? 12 - 15 million early in jan and i reckon he goes....hope he doesn't though ,would really coke the goat if he accepted a new contract.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not many players run down their contracts and then re-sign for that club.
Not often does it happen to coincide with promotion to the PL, which was the point of the post.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So from a business perspective sell him in January and get a return on Stephens as promotion is not a guarantee.
Covered many times and failed logic.

Selling Stephens makes the annual ongoing £18 million loss more probable.

Tony is 8 months away from another £18 million bill. Why increase the chance of that for relative pennies ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here