[Albion] Crystal Palace midfielder Conor Gallagher has said the whole dressing room was gutted

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
No, I think he means the contact was Trossard.
Don’t forget last year Lamptey simply put his hand on a shoulder and their player went down like he’d been shot by a sniper.

Thats true, they know how to win a penalty against us thats for sure.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
View attachment 140897

The "shoulder barge" is a limited problem, the problem is that Gallagher is running with/towards the ball and Trossard puts his right leg in front of Gallaghers left leg and trips him. Its clear as a day.

For the Welbeck situation, less clear non-penalty: yes Ward (or whoever it is) does touch him but Welbeck is not affected (as you can see from his expression while running another few steps) and doesnt care until he realises he ****ed up a good goal scoring opportunity. Would have been incredibly harsh.

The calls were fine.

That picture has their shoulders already touching. Do you not think Cucurealla fouled him then, and a pen or free-kick given for that? Danny Welbeck was off-balance and he couldn't get the power needed so it affected his chance, as I said sometimes given sometimes not.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Indeed no penalty. They are just running and there is a touch. As I said, would have been harsh and if that was on the opposite end, you would have agreed.

No, you said Welbeck tripped over himself.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Indeed no penalty. They are just running and there is a touch. As I said, would have been harsh and if that was on the opposite end, you would have agreed.

If it had been given in real time I don't think the VAR would have overturned it, but equally the opposite was obviously the case.

Unfortunately Trossard did foul for their penalty.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Disagree with the penalty calls.

If you kick someones leg in the penalty area like Trossard did, the ref is going to give a penalty. Its a 100% penalty. If you trip over yourself like Welbeck did, the ref is usually not going to give a penalty.

Welbeck's leg was "kicked" which is why it hit his other leg but it would have been a soft penalty.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
All the hype about how good palarse now are and how flowing their play has become, makes it clear how horrific their play was before. Whilst for large parts of the game they were pressing well and causing us problems, it was a million miles from the footballing art we've been displaying week after week for some time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That picture has their shoulders already touching. Do you not think Cucurealla fouled him then, and a pen or free-kick given for that? Danny Welbeck was off-balance and he couldn't get the power needed so it affected his chance, as I said sometimes given sometimes not.

Yes, their shoulders are touching but its not the problem. The problem is that Trossard tripped Gallagher. That their shoulders are touching doesnt change that.

Cucurellas push is a borderline foul yes but he stays up so there is an advantage. Are you going to punish the player for staying up in the first situation and ignore Trossard tripping him and instead give him a free-kick just outside the box? That would be silly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I just keep imagining them sitting down as a squad to review the video analysis of the match, knowing as every minute ticks past the car-crash that awaits them when the clock finally ticks onto 90+5. It must be excruciating.

Especially for Zaha, who must be trying to shrink into a corner, knowing everybody is about to watch him stand back and allow a completely unchallenged Veltman to set up the goal.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yes, their shoulders are touching but its not the problem. The problem is that Trossard tripped Gallagher. That their shoulders are touching doesnt change that.

Cucurellas push is a borderline foul yes but he stays up so there is an advantage. Are you going to punish the player for staying up in the first situation and ignore Trossard tripping him and instead give him a free-kick just outside the box? That would be silly.

If the ref played an advantage then yes, but I don't remember him giving an advantage. If var took a look then they surely go to the first foul (which as I said I'm not sure if it was inside or outside the area). Last season they would have gone back to the Welbeck foul as that was the very first foul in the build up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
View attachment 140897

The "shoulder barge" is a limited problem, the problem is that Gallagher is running with/towards the ball and Trossard puts his right leg in front of Gallaghers left leg and trips him. Its clear as a day.

For the Welbeck situation, less clear non-penalty: yes Ward (or whoever it is) does touch him but Welbeck is not affected (as you can see from his expression while running another few steps) and doesnt care until he realises he ****ed up a good goal scoring opportunity. Would have been incredibly harsh.

The calls were fine.

Agree entirely.

I would add shoulder barges are fine if they are shoulder to shoulder, but Trossard is slightly behind the player. Silly challenge.

As for Welbeck that’s three good chances he’s missed this season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree entirely.

I would add shoulder barges are fine if they are shoulder to shoulder, but Trossard is slightly behind the player. Silly challenge.

As for Welbeck that’s three good chances he’s missed this season.

Yup, he's never been much of a goalscorer. Considering how many chances he creates with his pacy runs, he would have still played for United or Arsenal if he was better in the scoring deparment. But if he can reach the same numbers as last season, that will be fine enough (for the time being).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Exactly. Of course you're going to celebrate a last second equaliser, in any game.

But the celebrations have continued since then on social media because there is just so much hilarious content to enjoy. Maupay's celebration, the outrage it provoked from the palace fans, the images of Zaha at the final whistle, pictures of the 'ultras' stood stunned, silent and on the verge of tears, the 'don't let it bounce video', the Gallagher interview you mention where he nearly cries, Dunk sshhing the home fans, Duffy running the length of the pitch and cupping his ears to the spotty teenagers in the Holsmdale end. I could go on.

I keep finding myself laughing at the savagery of it all at random points throughout the day.

The inability of the palace fans on Twitter not to bite at every bit of Brighton bate has also been a great source of entertainment.

Maupay, Sir, you're a legend.

This! Their fans seem to get riled VERY easily. And some of the comebacks have been hilarious – from the 'that w@nker Maupay did that in front of the family stand' (which had very few children in it from the images I've seen) to the frankly bizarre comeback to 'Why'd you let it bounce?' of 'Why'd you let it cross?', which I think is in reference to the play-off game all those years ago :dunce:

Like most, I was celebrating the goal, not thinking it was a win. Everything about it was glorious. The finish, the timing, the celebration and the reaction of both sets of fans and players.

I'm not fussed about the rivalry, I would probably have the same reaction whoever the opposition. The funny thing is, if the situation was reversed, you just KNOW we would never hear the end of it from Palace fans...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If Welbeck had gone down with contact (instead of trying to score) it would have been given imho. That’s why players are now taught to do that, sadly.

This. Gallagher did a huge swan dive on contact (I don't dispute that it was a pen just that he made everything he could out of it). There was contact on Welbeck but you could say he was extremely naive in not doing the swan dive and give the ref a decision to make. If Welbeck had made more of the fall and the pen had been given I can't see it would have been overturned by VAR.

Welbeck needs to be more street smart and take more advantage of these opportunities. I know its not the way most of us want the game to be played but it is a situation where opposition players will do it to us so we have to level the playing field.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
To any Palace fans moaning that we keep going on about this goal - can you honestly say your reaction would be any different if reversed? No, of course it wouldn't.

This is what makes having a rivalry so good. This is what makes football so good. So yes, we will really enjoy this moment and savour for a long time, because as we all know, the next result could go badly and then we'll be fed up.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
They're 4 points worse off now than they were at this stage last season, yet somehow they and their darling pundits keep banging on about how massively improved they are under Vierra..... :shrug:

The table does the talking ladies, not matter how much more energetically your team appears to be running around the pitch.

Sure

Goals scored by an actual Palace player (not a loan signing) from open play (no pens) when not against 10 men this season...nil - future's bright...future's Simon Jordan's complexion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports