Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Crystal Palace Fan Labour Brighton Pavilion MP Candidate

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't really get the point about having to be local. People move all around the world to do jobs and can be excellent at them when they get there.
Of course - knowledge and expertise can and does travel with ease.

So, someone running to be an MP can certainly have sufficient talents to make a good fist of the job anywhere in the country within reason. But I still think that, given the primary role of an MP is to represent the interests and concerns of their constituents, someone is going to be better-placed to do that if they have the prior understanding of a community that can only be gleaned by living there.

But as I said, it's long been common practice to move people around with the favoured few given the best chance by dropping into favourable constituencies, so it's not a thing I'm ever going to get overly-excited about.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I like Suzy/Eddie. Seems a caring and intelligent person and a good cultural fit for Brighton. However, she obviously turned her back on Brighton when, despite growing up in East Sussex, she chose to support Palace. If she wants to run a marathon from Bexhill to Brighton (I think its about the right distance) wearing full Albion kit and a sign that says 'Very sorry. I repent and have turned away from the dark side', then she could be a possibility. Ditto Jo Brand if she wants to swim from Hastings.

What is with comedians and Palace? Izzard, Brand, Kevin Day, Mark Steele, the sadly missed Sean Hughes, Holly Walsh, Ronnie Corbett, Doc Brown. There are a disproportionate number of good comedians who support them. There are also some terrible ones, but I won't mention them, for fear of upsetting Mark Steele.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Given neither Izzard or Sian Berry (the Green candidate) are actually local, the parachuting in issue isn't particularly relevant for me in this election. Izzard does have more links to Sussex generally, but neither have a particularly strong claim to the seat. Then again, I don't believe Lucas did before she stood?

I'll likely vote for Berry ultimately unless the Lib Dems put forward a particularly strong candidate. Not a huge fan of the current Labour leadership, nor celebrities jumping into politics at the top level. It will be interesting to see how Brighton Pavilion goes with Lucas stepping down, personally I think she's done a decent job mixing local issues and being the only MP for her party.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given neither Izzard or Sian Berry (the Green candidate) are actually local, the parachuting in issue isn't particularly relevant for me in this election. Izzard does have more links to Sussex generally, but neither have a particularly strong claim to the seat. Then again, I don't believe Lucas did before she stood?

I'll likely vote for Berry ultimately unless the Lib Dems put forward a particularly strong candidate. Not a huge fan of the current Labour leadership, nor celebrities jumping into politics at the top level. It will be interesting to see how Brighton Pavilion goes with Lucas stepping down, personally I think she's done a decent job mixing local issues and being the only MP for her party.
Given that Pavilion is the only Green constituency it really requires someone with experience in leadership roles and I think Sian is well suited to it. Hopefully Carla Denyer can win in Bristol too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My understanding is

I’m not so sure Lizzard has been selected only that they have applied , I don’t want a Crystal Palace fan anywhere near Brighton as an MP, surely within the ranks of the Brighton & Hove Labour Party there is a local hardworking person who would be proud to represent their city, not some scummy celebrity interloper who if that wasn’t bad enough is a scum fan ffs
I actually take your point about being 'local'. Ideally the Labour candidate would be a local dinnerlady or somebody, not a celebrity, or indeed anyone parachuted in from outside. However it's pretty much the norm everywhere, so I'll have to accept it. (I have complained in the past about this. The last two Labour candidates were shocking)

Anyway, as you say Izzard hasn't actually been selected yet, so it's all moot at the moment.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I still think that, given the primary role of an MP is to represent the interests and concerns of their constituents, someone is going to be better-placed to do that if they have the prior understanding of a community that can only be gleaned by living there.
I would generally agree, but given that this is Brighton Pavillion, someone swanning down from London and immediately telling all the locals how things should change, is going to very well represent probably over 50% of the constituency. ;)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I would generally agree, but given that this is Brighton Pavillion, someone swanning down from London and immediately telling all the locals how things should change, is going to very well represent probably over 50% of the constituency. ;)
And a Crystal Palace fan too, wasn’t he a director?, would you welcome Simon Jordan if he was down here standing as a Labour candidate?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Interesting, I saw him doing a photoshoot around Preston Circus last week.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And a Crystal Palace fan too, wasn’t he a director?, would you welcome Simon Jordan if he was down here standing as a Labour candidate?
With his track record, he'd be better off in Hove. Given the wonders he has performed with Palace's new stadium, he'd surely have the West Pier rebuilt in no time at all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Strange choice IMHO - Eddie Izzard has very different policy thoughts to Starmer and Peter Kyle.

Whilst CL is/was an excellent local MP, the Green's have shown they can't run a bath, let alone a Council.

Not much of a choice is it?

As someone said to me the other day, one of the reasons that Caroline Lucas was/is so good as a local MP is that she can be honest, stand by her beliefs and work hard for her constituents. She doesn't have to pander to the power trip and associated party lines of the big two, and whoever replaces her should have the same advantage ???

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Running for parliament is the only thing he has ever done which has made me laugh.

So he’s giving up performing then?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
If he's Palace then he won't be getting my vote.
Looks like she could be

www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here