Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace F.C.

mabbutts boots

Jun 9, 2004
Leafy Surrey
At the risk of sounding, well, stupid, can anyone explain why there is so much hatred between our two clubs?
I'm all for friendly rivalry and banter, but why the violence? Surely its better to have a healthy conversation over a few pints then go and enjoy a game of football.
Sensible answers only please, this is a genuine rrequest for informed and intellegent answers.
Thanks.:drink:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
mabbutts boots said:
just the sort of rubbish I was hoping to avoid

Equally Palace fans are just the sort of rubbish I was hoping to avoid when I logged on to a message board for Brighton fans.

How can you call yourself a Palace fan if you do not know why you are rivals with your most hated team?

It is because Brighton is a nice place to live and Croydon is not and we are a nice team and you are not.

mabbutts boots

Jun 9, 2004
Leafy Surrey
Richie Morris said:
Equally Palace fans are just the sort of rubbish I was hoping to avoid when I logged on to a message board for Brighton fans.

How can you call yourself a Palace fan if you do not know why you are rivals with your most hated team?

It is because Brighton is a nice place to live and Croydon is not and we are a nice team and you are not.

Dont flatter yourself, you are not our most "hated team" I'm merely trying to establish why people think this way.
If you havent got the intelegence to post a decent reply, dont bother.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There were many clashes on and off the pictch during the 1970s which was a time when both yourselves and Brighton were regularly competing for promotion at the same time. The matches thus became grudge matches and because of certain incidents that occurred in these games a rivalry grew. This on the picth rivalry was matched by ferocious fighting off the pitch and so the two clubs began mutually hating each other.

There is a brilliant article on it in an old issue of 442, called 'The Beautiful South'.

Highlight of the rivalry was when Alan Mullery threw £5 of change in a puddle and shouting 'You're not worth that Palace' before giving the main stand at Selhurst the V sign.

Is that better?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Richie Morris said:
There is a brilliant article on it in an old issue of 442, called 'The Beautiful South'.
I remember it well. Since I remember making a surprising number of quotes in it....

But don't be too quick to condemn people for not knowing the intimate details of the Brighton/Palace rivalry. A lot of it took place a good while back and, to be honest, could YOU write a definitive article on it, Richie - off the top of your head? Even in my advanced stage of decrepitude I remember needing to do a deal of research! Because we ran a 3-part series on this very issue in Brighton Rockz the other year. Having just trawled through online version of the mag I've unearthed it from the archives:

HERE

Last edited:

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
I've always assumed it to be a proximity thing - in football as in all walks of life you tend to see rivalries & disputes occurring between those you're nearest to & (dare I say it) have most in common with.

A reason that makes the violence, in my mind, so pointless.

Having said all that its blatantly obvious how vastly superior a place Brighton is to Croydon..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
croyden i9s shit

but i have alot of palace mates who i respect alot cause they dont support man u or arsenal

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
mabbutts boots said:
just the sort of rubbish I was hoping to avoid

I was hoping to avoid rubbish when I posted on cpfc.org as Seagullette but I have given up now as all I got was lesbian taunts.

Unfortunately some fans only know how to insult rather than discuss football and have some banter.
Banter takes wit and intelligence.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Richie

Just to correct you....

He threw £5 down in the Palace changing room!
It was at a Cup Replay that I think went to the Second or third replay
It was at Stamford Bridge, not Selhurst

dave

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
A great majority of todays fans were not around in those far flung days of the 70s and to be honest since then there have been ver yfew occasions that the two teams have been in the same division since. However it does go to show that the feeling is still there as the game at SP on 26 October 2002 saw a huge turnout on both sides and a lot of good natured banter before and after the game.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sweetie said:
A great majority of todays fans were not around in those far flung days of the 70s and to be honest since then there have been ver yfew occasions that the two teams have been in the same division since. However it does go to show that the feeling is still there as the game at SP on 26 October 2002 saw a huge turnout on both sides and a lot of good natured banter before and after the game.

And subsequently led to a "5-0" banner being seen at the Division 1 Play-off final and several subsequent England matches. Who says Palace don't care about us!!!

:wave:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
mabbutts boots said:
Dont flatter yourself, you are not our most "hated team" I'm merely trying to establish why people think this way.
If you havent got the intelegence to post a decent reply, dont bother.

It seemed like a pretty decent reply to me.

Are you not better off asking your own people why there is so much hatred? By coming on this board you will (obviously) get things from a Brighton perspective, including the Mullery stuff and the fact that in our humble opinion, you are all a bunch of inbred, cloven-hooved, pikey, clothes-peg selling, illiterate tossers.

:clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
Richie

Just to correct you....

He threw £5 down in the Palace changing room!
It was at a Cup Replay that I think went to the Second or third replay
It was at Stamford Bridge, not Selhurst

dave

Think you are wrong Dave, I'm pretty sure it was at the Palace end as he walked past them and it was about a fivers worth of loose change thrown on the ground. I seem to recall seeing a picture of it somewhere. Ron Challis was the ref. It was a VERY long time ago and I may well be wrong but that's how I remember it

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A bit before my time, but the story as I've always heard it goes that Mullery chucked the cash in front of their fans (after bent ref Challis of the Palace had weaved his evil spell), shouting "you're not worth that, Palace" as he did so.

If he'd done it in the dressing room, the chances are none of us would know about it surely?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
fiver.jpg

This is the one from www.brightonrockzonline.com/palace.html

Last edited:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
edna krabappel said:
A bit before my time, but the story as I've always heard it goes that Mullery chucked the cash in front of their fans (after bent ref Challis of the Palace had weaved his evil spell), shouting "you're not worth that, Palace" as he did so.

If he'd done it in the dressing room, the chances are none of us would know about it surely?

It was in front of the fans as has been recounted to me by my Dad who was there that night. A lot of the bad blood should be laid at the door of the ref Challis who laid it on a plate for his near namesake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here