Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
S-OUT-hend?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Talk me through this:-

Sally Nugent with gig covering header from Messi, putting the ball between the opponent’s uprights? (10)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nutmegging.

and that's way all cryptic crosswords are shitehouse.

FYI - That clue was from today's Independent which was set by Dave Gorman.

Stick to Googlewhacks Dave.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
and that's why all cryptic crosswords are shitehouse.
That's what I used to think until I bought a book on how to do them. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll become addicted to cryptics and you won't do an ordinary crossword ever again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and that's why all cryptic crosswords are shitehouse.

That's what I used to think until I bought a book on how to do them. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll become addicted to cryptics and you won't do an ordinary crossword ever again.

More words.

It's the 21st century Grandpa - get with the times.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
More words.

It's the 21st century Grandpa - get with the times.
It's the Times Quick Cryptic I do most days! I enjoy the Times Jumbo Cryptic on Saturdays but it's a killer!!

Attachments

• Crossword.JPG
    Crossword.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 57

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Talk me through this:-

Sally Nugent with gig covering header from Messi, putting the ball between the opponent’s uprights? (10)

The letters from Nugent and gig are mixed up (sally meaning attack, a bit weak imo) and put around (cover) the first letter (header) of Messi ie m.

So you have an anagram of nugentmgig = nutmegging = putting the ball between an opponents legs (uprights).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The letters from Nugent and gig are mixed up (sally meaning attack, a bit weak imo) and put around (cover) the first letter (header) of Messi ie m.

So you have an anagram of nugentmgig = nutmegging = putting the ball between an opponents legs (uprights).

That is Gorman's thing and I like it. Themed puzzles with pop culture references wedged into the clues. Plenty of dry ones where you spend 3 years working out an 18th Century mill owner's dog's name if that is your thing. I like cryptics and I'm getting better but when they also have massively obscure words then it puts me off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here