Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Crushes on Facebook

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The old idea of Facebook idea is dying. People no longer want to permanently share things. Kids are only snapping and sharing stories or using group chats.

In 5 years I think Messenger and Whatsapp will merge and Instagram will consume Snapchat.

Your Facebook will be about as relevant as a listing in an old phone book.

You're right. Evolution of all sorts of innovations is happening at such a pace that they won't last long as the fads of yesteryear did.

What I don't understand is the hatred towards Facebook, or the impression that is somehow seems to be 'cool' to slag it off. It's still very relevant to – and popular with – a lot of people. More to the point it's used in so many more ways than non-Facebookers believe it to be...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What I don't understand is the hatred towards Facebook, or the impression that is somehow seems to be 'cool' to slag it off. It's still very relevant to – and popular with – a lot of people.

You ok hun? xx

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nonsense.

It's great for organising get togethers whether it be church, ex Navy, old friends in different parts of the country. Like any tool, it is how you use it. If you have dodgy friends, then you'll see dodgy posts.

I would agree that it's good to initally catch up with old workmates, fiends etc. But I would say most people take it off FB as soon as and set up whatsapp groups etc. I don't have dodgy freinds, I just don't really have friends who regularly use FB. It's for middle aged/retired women.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would agree that it's good to initally catch up with old workmates, fiends etc. But I would say most people take it off FB as soon as and set up whatsapp groups etc. I don't have dodgy freinds, I just don't really have friends who regularly use FB. It's for middle aged/retired women.

Yep, that's me. Amazingly, I have quite a few young friends too, male and female.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You're right. Evolution of all sorts of innovations is happening at such a pace that they won't last long as the fads of yesteryear did.

What I don't understand is the hatred towards Facebook, or the impression that is somehow seems to be 'cool' to slag it off. It's still very relevant to – and popular with – a lot of people. More to the point it's used in so many more ways than non-Facebookers believe it to be...
Yeah. I'm personally not on Facebook, but my wife is and it is a great tool. As a family we also use various WhatsApp groups (which I do use) to message each other about family events. Those are handy because you can set up one specifically for somebody's birthday and add everybody (except them) if you're trying to plan something. Horses for courses and all that. There's that expressions about fire:"It makes a good servant but a poor master". The same can be applied to technology.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Planted yourself squarely in the 'uncool' camp.
My daughter (21) uses Instagram and barely goes near FB now.
My son (15) uses Twitter and doesn't even have FB.
My partner(I won't say, but old enough to have a 21yo) uses it to 'see what her friends are doing', then moans constantly that they are boring and/or selling slimming sh*t.
I don't have it... TBH, nothing interesting has happened in my life that I felt I had to tell everyone about.

For people I know... WhatsApp... For people I don't know well, NSC... For strangers I want to argue with... Reddit. Not sure I want those 3 groups mixing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

2.4billion users per month, so there might be one or two falling outside the demographic you refer to there!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
2.4billion users per month, so there might be one or two falling outside the demographic you refer to there!

Crikey. I’m changing my mind, this Crush thing could be an untapped mine of MILF and desperate divorcees. I’m in.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It seems Facebook is gradually introducing a feature in which you select up to nine of your friends and mark them as people you have a crush on. Nothing happens unless they also declare they have a crush on you, in which case both parties are told of their mutual feelings.

Two questions

1) Is anyone in our global mob already using this?

2) Could Bozza do something similar for NSC? I'm looking for a way to declare my feelings for Enrest and Biggums.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5/1/18525448/facebook-dating-app-secret-crush-feature

tinder , elitesingles , plenty of fish.....there all morphing into one ....ffs...:vomit:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
prrfft ...you're already out on your ear , you just don't realise it yet....

I don’t even know what you are trying to mean.

You’re not one of those posters that gets a bit of stick on one thread then follows the poster across the board are you? Don’t be that guy, that guy’s a prick.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
FB is ever-shifting in focus, and the latest changes were announced at F8 this week, with Events and Groups being made considerably more prominent as, by all accounts, these are the two areas that FB's analytics show are the most sticky for most people, which I completely get.

I have to use FB for work, but rarely look at it from a personal perspective, however when I do, I often discover events going on that I may be interested, generally through a notification which. is something like "XXXXX is interested in an event that is happening."

Groups is an interesting one - as they generally don't involve communicating with people you already know, but communicating those with a common interest, be that a football club or local restaurants etc.

So, in a way you're right - Facebook themselves seem to be shifting away from communicating with those you already know and being a platform for communicating around things and interests.

They own WhatsApp of course, so retain control of that more intimate communication.

And to encourage you to vote for right-wing *****, of course.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Planted yourself squarely in the 'uncool' camp.
My daughter (21) uses Instagram and barely goes near FB now.
My son (15) uses Twitter and doesn't even have FB.
My partner(I won't say, but old enough to have a 21yo) uses it to 'see what her friends are doing', then moans constantly that they are boring and/or selling slimming sh*t.
I don't have it... TBH, nothing interesting has happened in my life that I felt I had to tell everyone about.

For people I know... WhatsApp... For people I don't know well, NSC... For strangers I want to argue with... Reddit. Not sure I want those 3 groups mixing.

:shrug: I couldn't really give one about what's cool or uncool. Facebook works for me (for all sorts of reasons), so I'm happy to stick with it. Fair play to those who don't like/use it – each to their own and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here