Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd vs Walsall under 5,000

Reading this depressing thread makes me wish nothing but plagues and pain on Stanley, Archer and Bellotti. Those effing scumbags deserve nothing but pain and suffering for the rest of their days and if I could find a way to inflict that on them without getting arrested.........

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree wholeheartedly with your comment lets the kids in for £5 instaed of the £16 my son currently has to pay..where do they think the money comes from..yes of course the bank of good old mum&Dad......Also Oap's should be £5 as well

The thing is, your son doesn't HAVE to pay £16 at all, unless he insists on sitting in the South Stand. If he went in the family stand it would cost him £5 for every game [unless he is under 10 of course, in which case every game would be £1].

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
So how would the economics of a £5 ticket price actually work out - ie what do you assume/think was the gate income on Tuesday night, how is this impacted by charging £5 and from where do you make up any shortfall?

Five does screw up the figures somewhat, but having seen first hand what variable prices can do, 3000 people at 12 is the same income as 2400 at 15 quid but those 600 people:

1: Add to the atmosphere
2: May buy programmes/food/club shop stuff off you
3: Let you charge slightly more for ads in the programme and on the stadium.

Theres been a general trend in lowering ticket admission/seriously lowering kids ticket admission (Dad might not be let go by the missus without the three kids in tow but might not be able to afford 45 quid as opposed to 25 quid) in the league here and its significantly increased attendences without having any noticeable impact on gates and overall higher income.

I'm not saying for sure this would work in League 1 though!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
:laugh:

Mrs Watkins has been crowned 'Longhorn Village, Queen of Sponge Cakes' for the 7th year running.
The W.I. were more animated - are you thinking of the congregation reaction when the vicar announced the news in church the following Sunday morning...?

Five does screw up the figures somewhat, but having seen first hand what variable prices can do, 3000 people at 12 is the same income as 2400 at 15 quid but those 600 people:

1: Add to the atmosphere
2: May buy programmes/food/club shop stuff off you
3: Let you charge slightly more for ads in the programme and on the stadium.

Theres been a general trend in lowering ticket admission/seriously lowering kids ticket admission (Dad might not be let go by the missus without the three kids in tow but might not be able to afford 45 quid as opposed to 25 quid) in the league here and its significantly increased attendences without having any noticeable impact on gates and overall higher income.

I'm not saying for sure this would work in League 1 though!

Interested in your points on the current situation in Ireland although I am a bit sceptical of it being that successful in the FL.
I was indeed looking to provoke some debate on the effect on the club's income of many of the suggestions that are made on NSC re ticket pricing and availability. Limiting discussion to the question of crowd size, as most proposals do, seem to be missing/ignoring a fundamental point
Sure, the £5/ticket idea looks hairbrained from a business point of view but the proposer clearly doesn't think so. However, any proposal that results in less overall income for the club is probably unlikely to be implemented; it's not as though it's a personal debt and all DK has to do is remortgage the silver or extend the credit limit on BHA's Amex card.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... Sure, the £5/ticket idea looks hairbrained from a business point of view but the proposer clearly doesn't think so. However, any proposal that results in less overall income for the club is probably unlikely to be implemented; it's not as though it's a personal debt and all DK has to do is remortgage the silver or extend the credit limit on BHA's Amex card.
For the last time I wasn't proposing £5 tickets! Just reporting it! However I don't think slashing prices for unnappealing matches is 'harebrained' for the reasons I gave. There's more to generating income than simply counting gate receipts. Especially long-term income.

The alternative I suppose is to INCREASE prices to say £50. The non STH die-hards will still attend whatever the price but the crowd on Tuesday would probably have been less than 4000. However the club could save money by not opening up the whole ground. Less stewards, turnstile operators etc. No I'm not proposing it, but for some people it might as well be £50 or even £100 as they're not prepared to pay the current price.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Reading this depressing thread makes me wish nothing but plagues and pain on Stanley, Archer and Bellotti. Those effing scumbags deserve nothing but pain and suffering for the rest of their days and if I could find a way to inflict that on them without getting arrested.........

Join me, to crap on their graves when the devil finally recalls them!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sure, the £5/ticket idea looks hairbrained from a business point of view but the proposer clearly doesn't think so. However, any proposal that results in less overall income for the club is probably unlikely to be implemented; it's not as though it's a personal debt and all DK has to do is remortgage the silver or extend the credit limit on BHA's Amex card.

I know £5 is a harebrained idea, however I was posing the question to see if the view of NSC was that reducing prices would bring more people in the gate.

Reading the above, it is obvious more people think it wont to those who think it will.

I have no ideas how to get people back apart from being top of the league. Winning games appears not enough

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... Reading the above, it is obvious more people think it wont to those who think it will. ...

I'm not going to wade through all the posts again but I got the opposite view; namely that most people were in favor of reducing prices!

Anyway NSC will give a skewed result as it's not a true representation of Albion support, or should that be 'potential support'. Out of the regular posters here I reckon there's a fair number of STHs (including the starter of this thread) some of whom have stated that they don't wish to see the value of their investment diluted.

I think the club should try a reduction of at least 50% and see what happens. If the 'pay at the gate' percentage of the attendance doubles (i.e. NOT the total attendance which includes STHs) then at least in terms of gate receipts we'll be no worse off.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The club does have some schemes for lower prices, but is unable to convince the floating fan that a dad and lad trip is going to cost £50, after paying for a program and a burger, and that makes it a non-starter for many.

If a few more knew about the bargains then there would be more bums on seats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here