Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Crouch’s Year-Late Euros

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't bother. Post game for me was a large G&T, a quick bit of NSCing and bed. Thanks for this review and for bothering so we don't have to.

A shame in a way. I like Crouch's podcast based book. He's a good writer and naturally funny if you like self depreciating humour. However, I totally agree that, if there needs to be a late night review programme for a football tournament (and, let's face it, there doesn't), it should be written and presented by fans. And by fans I don't mean Tim Lovejoy.

I wish Skinner and Baddiel would reprise Fantasy Football, that was perfect late-night post match viewing. I'd be all over that. Sadly I don't think either of them are interested.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
For those interested, the Quickly Kevin Podcast is covering the Euro's, a shift away from the 90s nostalgia they usually do.

Josh Widdecombe and a bunch of other guest comedians - would be a far better watch in a studio than the Crouch nonsense, Jama's bust aside.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Appalling show . It’s up there with Redknapps big night out as car crash TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I actually have quite a lot of sympathy for all involved after they had to put a show together without the tournament to go with it last year and ploughed through regardless.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I'm almost enjoying hating this. The over-colourful morning TV set; the over-excitable build up to very weakly perceived, written and enacted segment; the thought that celebrity is in some way a substitute for caring about, and being any good at what you are doing; the idea that shouting things loudly will mean that a longed for younger audience will tune in; the coupling of middle aged blokes in denim and casual shirts with a far younger woman with her bits hanging out; the stupid sub Soccer AM fan competitions; the ex-pros palling about; and the stilted attempts at chat segments culminate in something representative of why television executives are the last people on earth to understand what makes a good television programme.

It is television that hates itself and its audience. It is not made by people who care a jot or know a single thing about their subject. Fantasy Football was made by people who knew and understood what it feels like to be football fans. The worst people to ask about fan culture are actually players. Most of them don't understand. They haven't experienced it because they were always playing. Yet every single programme about football is now utterly dominated by people who played, but hardly ever watched football. Weak dressing room banter substitutes for the very real and deep culture, humour, obsessions, quirks, faiths, violent opinions and passions that make the whole thing just so damned human.

When television lets talented obsessives make television about their obsession those who share the obsession will obviously watch and enjoy, but so will those who know nothing of or couldn't care less about the obsession. When television aims for a target audience linked by a common interest it insults the obsessive and bores or annoys those who don't care.

Summed up perfectly. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here