Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crossover widening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crossover widening? Sounds like the sort of thing that goes on at a swingers party.

I just thought it was another Keith Vaz thread.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I know, but it is NSC - only the best! :angel:

Seriously though, try the highways dept. at your local council office. They'll have all the info.

Done that, hence the thread they gave me a list of contractors but nobody returns calls or they no longer do the work.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Just Googled "Drop Kerbs in West Sussex" - came up with Checkatrade, and their list of recommended firms. Maybe worth a shout if you haven't contacted them?

Actually just called a couple from that list and they only answered, looks like someone wants a little bit of work. Thanks NSC

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ask your local traveler community, know how to dig and relay a bit of tarmac and not too bothered about insurance?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Thanks will give them a call.

If you allready have dropped kerb and just want to widen a bit. Say one kerbstone wider..Couldn`t you and a mate do it. Dig out higher kerb and Tarmac to small area relay kerbstone(or buy new one) approx four inches lower and get a little tarmac from local diy store.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
If you allready have dropped kerb and just want to widen a bit. Say one kerbstone wider..Couldn`t you and a mate do it. Dig out higher kerb and Tarmac to small area relay kerbstone(or buy new one) approx four inches lower and get a little tarmac from local diy store.

I was going to suggest this when I first opened the thread.
The danger is that the work will come to the notice of the Local authority , who won't be too pleased that it has been carried out by unlicensed labour, and JBBD might not want to take that risk.
Having said that, I intend to widen my crossover myself, and take a chance on it not being noticed.
I would offer to carry out the work for the OP ( I have been a builder for more than 40 years) , but I am not on the LA approved list ( I only carry £2 million public liability ) .

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I want my crossover widening, applied for this via council got an approved list of contractors, seems nobody wants to do this, or gets back to my messages or returns calls. Can good old NSC recommend anyone, think the problem is needing to have 10 million liability insurance to work on the highway.

Cheers

Danny

AJS Groundworks Ltd. Bognor based. Small company but very good guys. I think they do minor council road works (they certainly used to) so almost certainly what your looking for. PH: 07900686350

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The danger is that the work will come to the notice of the Local authority , who won't be too pleased that it has been carried out by unlicensed labour, and JBBD might not want to take that risk.
Having said that, I intend to widen my crossover myself, and take a chance on it not being noticed.
I would offer to carry out the work for the OP ( I have been a builder for more than 40 years) , but I am not on the LA approved list ( I only carry £2 million public liability ) .

I had all the Bollocks from the council about eight years ago when widening gateway..They wanted approval from highways,planning application, curved radius,sightlines improved, kerb stones there were none, approved contractors etc etc.Sounded like 10k job. I hired mini digger did work in long afternoon inc hanging 10ft gate to replace eight foot one. Labour say £100 gate and post £120 digger hire £120.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

I was unsure how it all worked, so contacted council I has to apply online they then took 10 days to look at it, this is when I received the form with details and contractors info. I would happily get it done cheaper but don't think I can take the risk, also they council charge £310.00 that the contractor adds to final cost and they have to finalise paperwork and send it off with the £310.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
10m public liability seems mighty high for such a simple job.

The council are a nightmare and insist on £10m PL Ins for any contractor working on or over roads. I do gutter/roofing work and i need it to climb up a scaffold tower over a path or to use a cherry picker in a public highway. As usual with the council, some idjit in an office came up with a figure of how much and now everone has to have that PLI.

I have only heard the 'crossover' being referred to as a dropped kerb.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here