Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crofts

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mr 6.5-7/10 has struggled in his second spell, partly due to being very limited. Works hard, gives his all, passion etc, but unless he's winning the ball well and working hard in the engine room of midfield, he's not a massive amount of use.

He had a tremendous amount of energy in his first spell, supporting the defence one minute and then popping up in attack. He was even more like that in his early Norwich days.

What happened at Norwich? Did his legs go with age or did he suffer an injury of some sort?

I was surprised he started yesterday given his pre-season performances but I guess that's an indication of how far our team building has yet to go. Agestein has way more pediigree, chum

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He had a tremendous amount of energy in his first spell, supporting the defence one minute and then popping up in attack.
That's the point half his game was taken away from his last season, and I don't think he knew what to do.

I have high hopes he'll flourish in Oscar's more attacking style.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have high hopes he'll flourish in Oscar's more attacking style.

I'm not sure. He got a lot of game time pre season as well as Leeds and doesn't appear to have impressed. I think Agustien will start ahead of him once fully fit and Crofts becomes a bench man. It's a pity but I can't see any other outcome really

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I was surprised he started yesterday given his pre-season performances but I guess that's an indication of how far our team building has yet to go. Agestein has way more pediigree, chum

You're barking, mate. Very very paw.

So if we continue to play Crofts, you don't think we'll win a lot?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In defence of Crofts has he actually had a run or 4 or 5 games in the side since he can back? It cannot be easy to be a bit part player in our style, especially when it means changing the style you've played for years. He may not get the opportunity to get a run without an injury or suspension but I don't think he'd disappoint if he did and Oscars style of getting the ball forward quickly could result in Crofts re finding his late arrival goal form

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm not sure. He got a lot of game time pre season as well as Leeds and doesn't appear to have impressed. I think Agustien will start ahead of him once fully fit and Crofts becomes a bench man. It's a pity but I can't see any other outcome really
3 players for 2 positions, perfect.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Depends really. If Agustien is here to replace Bridcutt, then Crofts should see a lot of time as the second centre-mid. If he fails to produce then JFC should be knocking down his door. If we keep Bridcutt, then there isn't much for him outside of bench-time.

Of course that rather assumes we keep similar tactics to last year, which from a midfield perspective were completely centered around Bridcutt. Hammond was the perfect foil for LB in that instance, Crofts less so. But if OG changes things, well Crofts was previously fantastic for title-winning Norwich so if given a role similar to the one he had there he could excel again

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I don't understand where this myth that Crofts was a goalscoring midfielder has come from. For us he scored 5 goals in 50 odd games in his first spell, and the only one I remember being any good was Southampton away.

For Norwich according to Wiki, he got 8 in 68, do remember his Fashanu esque volley though.

I wasn't particularly disappointed when he left the first time really as although he was a very good player for league one, his role of chasing down and breaking up play was fairly easy to replace.

Maybe his injury has set him back but personally I've never really understood the hype.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
He hasn't been the same player since coming back. He started off ok last season, then picked up that Injury. I honestly think we rushed him back then, he didn't shake it off whatsoever and never fully recovered.

Apparently Crofts Wife and family are still based in Norwich, and she has a pretty good job there. She is very reluctant to leave that job where she is settled as well move their baby, down here.

Could that be the problem?

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Missed the kind of chance he regularly put away for Norwich and us in his previous spell, from Buckleys pull back.
I think we have moved on and Crofts hasn't.
Even with Augustien I think we are still a midfielder short at the moment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't understand where this myth that Crofts was a goalscoring midfielder has come from. For us he scored 5 goals in 50 odd games in his first spell, and the only one I remember being any good was Southampton away.

For Norwich according to Wiki, he got 8 in 68, do remember his Fashanu esque volley though.

I wasn't particularly disappointed when he left the first time really as although he was a very good player for league one, his role of chasing down and breaking up play was fairly easy to replace.

Maybe his injury has set him back but personally I've never really understood the hype.

This. He is NOT a goal scoring midfielder. His record over his career is roughly the same as Gary Dicker's. I think he had one season where he scored about 6. That's I.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think he needs to get a run of games under him to really show what he can do. He's a decent player at this level, the fact that we even doubt him shows we're in pretty good shape with high expectations these days.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
He Lots of people on this site made themselves look very stupid by claiming he was a fantastic player and a goalscorer the first time around. The truth of the matter is that prior to signing for us he was released by Gillingham after they sent him out on loan to Wrexham. That had my alarm bells ringing from day one. He also only scored 5 goals in 44 games in that first season for us, which is hardly anything to get excited by. He'll do a reasonable job in League One because that is a division for runners and battlers, but our team requires skill, technique, vision and ideally pace.

I remember you famously wrote him off after ONE appearance the first time round and claimed he would never make it at the club. This of course before he helped us to promotion and a transfer to Norwich where he played 48 games in their promotion winning side and over 20 games in the premier league the following season.
And you're accusing people of looking stupid?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Lots of people on this site made themselves look very stupid by claiming he was a fantastic player and a goalscorer the first time around.

He WAS a fantastic player the first time around. But not a fantastic goalscorer.

But the team has moved on and I reckon we need someone better than him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here