Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley council can't afford Broadfield Stadium

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
That would make more sense than Brighton and Palace sharing as it was one of the suggestions! :ffsparr:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I assume its rented from the council still, if so do the council have a duty to maintain it or can they force the tenants to do so?

Most pub owning companies give their leaseholders a 'full repairing lease' which means that they are liable for every thing excluding the four walls that stop the actual pub falling down. I would think a similar scheme could be operated by the council in relation to a football ground.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Brighton and Hove Albion were invited by Crawley Council to assist with the cost of building a new Stadium, and to use it alternately with Crawley Town. BHAFC were potless at the time and I believe it would have tied them to the Broadfield Stadium for more years than they wanted to commit to so BHAFC declined. There was an air of "you had your chance" in the statement Crawley Council put out in the press later, when they refused to allow Brighton to play there for a couple of seasons once it was built, so there was an offer to play there originally but the deal didn't suit.
Nothing at all to do with Crawley Town FC.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It looks like I might be in the minority, but I like Crawley and want them to do well. Albion first, Sussex second

It's practically Surrey. In fact surely someone could just kick it over the boundary a bit? ;)

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
It's practically Surrey. In fact surely someone could just kick it over the boundary a bit? ;)
Chichester is practically Hampshire.....but it's not.
Wadhurst is practically Kent....but it's not.

Do you get the point of having a boundary,a line that devides?
It does just that,strange but true.

You do yourself no favours with such immature,backwards comments fella.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
If Crawley Council had allowed the Albion to ground share instead of Gillingham they would have had a ground which may have been developed into a 8,000 to 10,000 capacity paid for by Brighton. All that money that went to Gillingham , your fault Crawley Council. I hope this is not the slippery slope for Crawley FC What do you think!

I think,Crawley FC doesn't exist.
I will also add that this is a nothing story.
I will also add that CTFC is going through a transitional period (again),but that it really isn't the end of the road...
Jes,do you remember when The Albion were on the verge of the Conference,with no ground and many of the most ardent fans wondering why they bother on a Saturday?Its not that long a go is it,not in football history terms.
It's all about riding a storm....and coming out the other side stronger,better,prouder.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Chichester is practically Hampshire.....but it's not.
Wadhurst is practically Kent....but it's not.

Do you get the point of having a boundary,a line that devides?
It does just that,strange but true.

You do yourself no favours with such immature,backwards comments fella.

Sorry Mr Crawley, there's no dising your town is there?!! Nor any point trying to have a bit of fun like saying your town is a popular holiday destination for overseas visitors. We must be very very serious on NSC. Insult my town and you practically insult my sister!

Ps Crawley is a bit creepy isn't it? Go on admit it. Wasn't me who invented that phrase. Probably someone else doing themselves no favours by being completely immature (snigger snigger...) Now, Horsham, that's a proper Sussex town where all the managers working in Crawley commute from...

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Flipping heck,I like the thought of playing down at the Amex stadium.it will be lovely for the 3,000 Crawley fans,25 minutes in the car,loads of parking,no queues,plenty of seats to put our feet up,beautiful pitch,as much beer and pies as we can get down our necks at halftime.I soppose we could get used to it.

Anyway,back to reality ......

Crawley Borough council and the football club have a very good working relationship.It's been reported in the local paper that the council have spent 3.5 million quid running the stadium since it opened in 1997.
The football club have paid back over a million quid of that which was owed to the council from the Majeeds time in charge of the club.
The council have always paid the majority of the costs for running the stadium with the football club paying a bit towards it.In 2014/15 the club will be responsible for the operational and maintenance costs whilst Crawley borough council will be responsible for the maintenance of the stadium.

The Broadfield stadium was built because Crawley Borough council wanted Town Mead to be sold for development.Town Mead had been the home of Crawley Town for years and was just a short stroll from the High street,a prime location for development.So the council and football club got talking and the Broadfield stadium would be built as a result.The town mead site would be sold and the council would make tens of millions of pounds whilst spending just a few million on a new stadium.Part of the deal was that the council would pick up the bill for running the new stadium ,Afterall they were going to make a lot of money from the deal and the cost of the stadium was nothing to what the new leisure park would rake in for the council.
In fact, the bloody council owe Crawley Town football club for giving up Town Mead so easily.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Sorry Mr Crawley, there's no dising your town is there?!! Nor any point trying to have a bit of fun like saying your town is a popular holiday destination for overseas visitors. We must be very very serious on NSC. Insult my town and you practically insult my sister!

Ps Crawley is a bit creepy isn't it? Go on admit it. Wasn't me who invented that phrase. Probably someone else doing themselves no favours by being completely immature (snigger snigger...) Now, Horsham, that's a proper Sussex town where all the managers working in Crawley commute from...
You are indeed correct that Horsham is a proper Sussex town,as is Crawley.
Please note that I have made no previous comments regarding Brighton,or Crawley being a popular holiday destination.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It looks like I might be in the minority, but I like Crawley and want them to do well. Albion first, Sussex second
I am not against Crawley in fact I have watch them play,its a dig at the council ,I do feel we have room for two clubs due to the thousands of new houses we are going to have to build in Sussex! Also the south Surrey fans can also watch Crawley as the Palace drop the deals buy one get 3 free and prices go up.!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here