Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crawley 6 chelsea xl 1

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I reckon Crawley will do fairly well next season, not sure of them going straight up as champions but reckon they are a fair bet for at least the play-offs. Exeter went straight from Conference to Division One in consecutive seasons and having seen Crawley last season I think they are at least as good as the side from Devon.

Exeter were led to success by Paul Tisdale, who I rate as one of the best English league managers and someone I expect to go on to far greater things, I'm not sure that Steve Evans is in the same league. Exeter achieved their success by playing good football on a shoe-string, whereas Crawley seem to be going places by being the biggest fish in the pond, at least in financial terms.

Last edited:

overspill red army

May 28, 2011
If Brighton and Crawley were to meet in the carling or FA cup this season then the talk of a rivalry starting between the two clubs would be fair enough.
At the moment we are only rivals because both teams are sussex based and part of the football league.
Remember,only a short drive down the A23 separates the two clubs, so if Crawley continue to progress and we were to meet each other in a few tasty cup games then the seeds will have been sown and a rivalry could begin to grow.

Just this week the club have confirmed that the 2000 seater East stand will be in place before the end of the year, taking the capacity for the Broadfield stadium to over 6000.
Its a shame you lot weren't allowed by the council to use the stadium when you were thrown out the Goldstone,im sure you would have developed the ground if you had been.
Anyway,Crawley are on the march and a rivalry between two teams from two ends of the same county would be welcomed by us lot up the road.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
If Brighton and Crawley were to meet in the carling or FA cup this season then the talk of a rivalry starting between the two clubs would be fair enough.
At the moment we are only rivals because both teams are sussex based and part of the football league.
Remember,only a short drive down the A23 separates the two clubs, so if Crawley continue to progress and we were to meet each other in a few tasty cup games then the seeds will have been sown and a rivalry could begin to grow.

Just this week the club have confirmed that the 2000 seater East stand will be in place before the end of the year, taking the capacity for the Broadfield stadium to over 6000.
Its a shame you lot weren't allowed by the council to use the stadium when you were thrown out the Goldstone,im sure you would have developed the ground if you had been.
Anyway,Crawley are on the march and a rivalry between two teams from two ends of the same county would be welcomed by us lot up the road.

Difference is i think a lot of Brighton supporters like to see another Sussex side doing well in the League and would see the "rivalry" as friendly, but in the case of the six-fingered oaths from the slums of Croydon there is genuine hatred and rivalry ( with some fans)

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Difference is i think a lot of Brighton supporters like to see another Sussex side doing well in the League and would see the "rivalry" as friendly, but in the case of the six-fingered oaths from the slums of Croydon there is genuine hatred and rivalry ( with some fans)

Probably less friendly from the Crawley fans, many of whom still think the Albion failed to share the gate receipts fairly after the cup game all those years ago...on reflection they are probably spot-on with that assessment!

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
and the start of a massive local rivalry that will eventually replace Palace.

No. They really f***ing hate Aldershot and there's always trouble when the two sides met. Even a midday kick-off on Easter Monday at the Broadfield a couple of years ago didn't prevent serious disorder after the game.

albertbilbert

Jul 15, 2009
Horsham
Genuine question. Where are Crawleys new fans coming from? Ever since the Man U game their gates have dramatically increased. Crawley is very much on the border between Palace and Albion. Are the new fans old Albion, Palace or plastic Mancs and Chelskis?

It seems like the Crawley fanbase is very localised as well because I live in Horsham and I have yet to meet a Crawley fan around these parts despite being 10-15 mins drive away from the Broadfield.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It seems like the Crawley fanbase is very localised as well because I live in Horsham and I have yet to meet a Crawley fan around these parts despite being 10-15 mins drive away from the Broadfield.

That is a real rivalry, Crawley and Horsham hate each other, if I were a Crawley fan living in Horsham I would keep my head down and try not to attract too much attention.

overspill red army

May 28, 2011
That is a real rivalry, Crawley and Horsham hate each other, if I were a Crawley fan living in Horsham I would keep my head down and try not to attract too much attention.

Err,i think your find that the town of Horsham hate Crawley.
Horsham is just a place a few miles away which the people of Crawley pay no attention to either way.

Lets face it the two towns are worlds apart and have nothing at all in common.

overspill red army

May 28, 2011
Genuine question. Where are Crawleys new fans coming from? Ever since the Man U game their gates have dramatically increased. Crawley is very much on the border between Palace and Albion. Are the new fans old Albion, Palace or plastic Mancs and Chelskis?

Your be surprised to know that a big percentage of the 1200 season tickets bought this year were from people outside the town.

The average home crowd in our first season in the conference back in 2003/4 was 2200.
The club were making steady progress up until the Majeed brothers got their claws into Crawleys flesh.
It really cant be underestimated the damage these two did to the club,they chewed it up,spat it out and stamped what was left into the dirt.
Then came along Bruce Winfield and the resurrection began.
This season we should see an average crowd of between 3500-4000 if we are doing well.
Dont forget the away support will be greater added to the fact that its our first go at league football.

albertbilbert

Jul 15, 2009
Horsham
Err,i think your find that the town of Horsham hate Crawley.
Horsham is just a place a few miles away which the people of Crawley pay no attention to either way.

Well, Horshamers think of Crawley as some chav filled drug riddled crime den, and Crawleyites think of Horsham as some upper class haven of hooray Henrys and non stop polo. Neither, of course are true.

Horshamers need Crawley for the shopping more than anything. And you'd be amazed how many of the students at Collyers college in Horsham are from Crawley. Not to mention you get people come over to Horsham for the park and going to Crawley for the cinema etc. Of course all the jobs are in Crawley too. Theyre not quite as independent as towns as they appear.

Anyway I wish Crawley all the best for next season, and I hope youre right about the 3500-4000 gates because if Crawley want to be taken seriously in the league they need more and more people through the turnstiles. Theres a lot of lower league bitterness aimed at Crawley but I'm not sure I'll care too much until they start barking at the Albion.

Hopefully you'll be a League One Club in 2012 and we'll be in the Premier League (one can but dream).

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

I think it's wrong to think as Crawley ( or the rest of North Sussex) being on the edge of Albion and Palace terrotory. In truth neither club is especially relevent to the area. In my experience football fans are likely to support any of the Premier League clubs, with a bias towards the London teams as thats where many families in Crawley originally come from.
Speaking to a friend i know from Crawley who has started to support the team,it would seem that much like us with our new stadium, there's a lot of interest from casual supporters of the big clubs who through the increased publicity of recent successes have decided to follow take an interest in their local team. Crawleys promotion and particularly their cup tie at OT has caught the attention of local people in a way that seasons of honest ( and thanks to the majeeds, less than honest) toil in the non league pyramid could ever hope to achieve.

albertbilbert

Jul 15, 2009
Horsham
I think it's wrong to think as Crawley ( or the rest of North Sussex) being on the edge of Albion and Palace terrotory. In truth neither club is especially relevent to the area. In my experience football fans are likely to support any of the Premier League clubs, with a bias towards the London teams as thats where many families in Crawley originally come from.
Speaking to a friend i know from Crawley who has started to support the team,it would seem that much like us with our new stadium, there's a lot of interest from casual supporters of the big clubs who through the increased publicity of recent successes have decided to follow take an interest in their local team. Crawleys promotion and particularly their cup tie at OT has caught the attention of local people in a way that seasons of honest ( and thanks to the majeeds, less than honest) toil in the non league pyramid could ever hope to achieve.

Fair enough, I'll rephrase it. Theres just as many Palace as Albion around Crawley and North Sussex. I only asked as I wondered whether they were pulling in many local Brighton fans. Certainly it was a good idea for Brighton and Crawley's home fixtures to dovetail, as any people who support both clubs can alternate home matches. And you're certainly right about the match at Old Trafford. The whole country was supporting Crawley for those 90 minutes.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Next season there is a good chance of crawley playing palace in the league. After that I am sure Crawley will realise who the real foe should be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Like to see them do well, to be honest. But then again, I'm fairly local. I'd say quite a chunk of their new support is from nearby towns like Redhill and Horley, which pleasingly enough, are Palace territory. Not that most people support Palace in those towns, it's mostly Chelsea on the Surrey/Sussex border these days.

thought that east side could never be developed?
T

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here