Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail- Smith

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's better than my Nan.... but then she's dead.

Seriously though... such a wasted talent playing/bench warming for us. We have never played to his strengths and we should have released him long ago.
Why are so many people so afraid to simply admit his faults? So many other players have been written off far quicker for being no less effective than CMS has ever been.

Play to his strengths? He's not very good in this division, it really is that simple.

Why are so many people so afraid to simply admit his faults? So many other players have been written off far quicker for being no less effective than CMS has ever been.

Play to his strengths? He's not very good in this division, it really is that simple.

Hate to say it (well I don't really because I've said it all along) but this is correct.

He Just isn't good enough despite the effort he puts in.

D

Deleted member 22389

I remember when CMS joined, I don't think I have ever been more excited about a player joining us. Like everyone else I was buzzing all day long. The whole CMS thing has been dissapointing really. I'm probably like a lot of people, I have been waiting for the real CMS to show up, but it never arrives. Sad really because we spent a hell of a lot money getting him here. Knowing our luck he will go somewhere else, and then he will start banging the goals in.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hate to say it (well I don't really because I've said it all along) but this is correct.

He Just isn't good enough despite the effort he puts in.

I am well aware of CMS limitations as a footballer.

All of which though I believe are better than Baldocks

However what CMS does is give us some tempo to our game, which other players feed off, we dont get that from anyone else

I am well aware of CMS limitations as a footballer.

All of which though I believe are better than Baldocks

However what CMS does is give us some tempo to our game, which other players feed off, we dont get that from anyone else

If running in the opposite direction to where the ball is heading gives us tempo, we are surely doomed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It's meaningless, brainless tempo that 9 times out of 10 doesn't actually help the team in any way though...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

He is a hoof-ball merchant (he'd have been called at "goal-hanger" when I went to school) and that style doesn't work particularly well at this level, yes. But he does have talent that other teams could use, so we should have sold ages ago.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I still think he is our best available forward at present and we look a better side when he is in it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
350K to 500K + the saving in wages would be an ok deal for us I think.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It really is. CMS gets a relatively easy ride from the Albion support for no other reasons than his work rate and the fact that he comes across as a genuinely nice bloke who applauds the crowd. Fair play to the lad for that, but objectively, his strengths are of limited use at this level. Take a drop down in class and he'd absolutely STORM the goalscoring tables against flat-footed defenders and it would probably be best for all concerned if he did just that. i was as thrilled as anybody when he signed for us, but its just not working out.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sadly, I think it became apparent a fair while ago that CMS is slightly short of Championship class. You can't argue though that what he lacks in ability he tries to make up for with enthusiasm and effort.

Baldock is just a CMS without the passion and effort.

I know which I'd rather have.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I love CMS and am a big fan, I believe at present he is still is our best forward.

However if we can sell in January for 500-750k and use his wages for the type of striker we really need then this surely has to happen

The fact we renewed Crofts deal early this season and have heard nothing on CMS points to he will leave in January or run his deal down
call me old fashioned but aren't forwards supposed to score now and then. We've had the likes of Malcolm Poskett, Sammy Morgan, Fred Binney etc who used to score for fun before we gave them away and yet we seem to hang on to these sacred cows.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
call me old fashioned but aren't forwards supposed to score now and then. We've had the likes of Malcolm Poskett, Sammy Morgan, Fred Binney etc who used to score for fun before we gave them away and yet we seem to hang on to these sacred cows.

CMS would have scored more than Baldock is my point.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sadly, I think it became apparent a fair while ago that CMS is slightly short of Championship class. You can't argue though that what he lacks in ability he tries to make up for with enthusiasm and effort.

Baldock is just a CMS without the passion and effort.

I know which I'd rather have.

Spot on. And is the point I have been getting at.

I would be staggered if a championship side does not come in for CMS, played as a front 2 which we have never done he will get his share of goals in this division.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
CMS will never be a Championship standard striker, and lacking other key footballing attributes (passing, awareness of teammates, first touch), there's no scope for him to make it elsewhere in a team set-up. It was yet another great coup for Peterborough driving up a dutch auction to silly money, for a League One finisher.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
350K to 500K + the saving in wages would be an ok deal for us I think.

Don't think we'll get more than £300k in January with only limited interest from L1 and L2 sides plus clubs know they can pick him up for a modest signing on fee after he is released providing no one writes a cheque in the upcoming transfer window.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
CMS will never be a Championship standard striker, and lacking other key footballing attributes (passing, awareness of teammates, first touch), there's no scope for him to make it elsewhere in a team set-up. It was yet another great coup for Peterborough driving up a dutch auction to silly money, for a League One finisher.

Pedantic I know, but you don't "drive up" a price with a Dutch Auction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I don't think it will be too long before he goes back to Peterborough.
He's made a few bob with us and think will be content to take a cut in wages (in fact he won't have much choice in the matter if continues to be out of favour)
I see his old mucker Aaron McLean is back there at the moment on loan until end of January.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
CMS is a good player at this level but he is not a sole striker. He needs to play in a front two, preferably in a 4-4-2 formation as he did at Posh. How many games has been able to play in that formation with us. You buy the players to fit your style...... yet we seem to be so crap at doing this. Good players come to us and then disappear down the plug hole. Thats not always true but it seems to have happened a lot in the last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here