Craig Gordon/Marian Kello - suggestions as new BHAFC goalkeeper

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
It's pretty clear from reading this forum and from my own limited exposure to watching the team in the flesh and on tv this season that a new goalkeeper should be at or near the top of Gus's wishlist for next season.

As a Hearts fan I've seen both of these goalies over the last few years and think either would be an excellent acquisition for Brighton. Dealing with them in turn:-

Craig Gordon - my understanding is that he is out of contract at the end of the season. He was number one at Sunderland before suffering a couple of nasty injuries. A fantastic shotstopper, still a bit suspect on cross balls but young enough still to have another 10 years at the top. On his day, he is absolutely world class. I believe he is back to full fitness but is now behind Mignolet and Westwood in the pecking order at Sunderland. He will be on very good money but, who knows, he may take a chance on a step down a division. I think he will be way from Sunderland anyway. Can't see him coming back up here as only Celtic could afford him and although there have been some rumours, I think he'd like to stay in England.

Marian Kello - I suspect not many of you have heard of him. He has been the top Hearts goalie for 2 seasons. He is not as tall as Gordon but probably a bit more robust. Romanov tried to sell him to Austria Vienna on the last day of the transfer window in January and when he refused to go he was frozen out and has now been given a severance deal from Hearts. He is a very very good goalie (at least as good as the overhyped Alan McGregor) and I think is well capable of operating at English Premier League level. There was a rumour that Aston Villa were in for him as No.2 for Given but again I think he might be tempted by an ambitious Championship club. I don't think his wage demands would be as high as Gordon's. He's just broken into the Slovakian national side and again is the right side of 30 so has many years ahead of him.

All in all either of these goalies would be a fantastic signing for the club.

Thoughts?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Didn't Gordon cost Sunderland £10M......I'd imagine the wages might be an issue, good goalie though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Craig Gordon in the Championship?! If we're signing a goalkeeper from Sunderland, it will be Kieren Westwood. And I would be happy with that!

Can't speak for the other guy, but we already have a Slovakian goalkeeper. That box is ticked.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sign Kello and keep Brezovan as back-up.

2 Slovakian goalies. Cool.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
£9million. Wages would be an issue depending on who else is interested in him. I suspect Kello is more realistic, though.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Kusz... Kucsz... the United keeper on loan at Watford is out of contract in the summer

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Didn't Gordon cost Sunderland £10M......I'd imagine the wages might be an issue, good goalie though.

Both irrelevant if he's 3rd choice now, and out of contract in a few weeks. His resale value that close to teh end of his contract is £nil for Sunderland, and his wage the day after his contract expires is also £nil.

the reality for keepers is that there is only a very small number of them needed in the top flight, and they therefore have to be prepared to drop down a division once they have dropped down the pecking order.

The issue will be whether he would come so far south I'd say.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Didn't Graeme Smith come with the SPL "stamp of approval"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports