Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cracking pics from the 70/80

el punal

Wow! That brings back memories. The Orient v Man.Utd match was the first game of the season (1974/75) and United had just been relegated to the old Division 2. I caught the train from Rugby to eventually get back to Brighton. The train was rammed with Man.Utd fans going to Brisbane Road and I don't think I've ever seen so much booze, piss and puke in one place. There were some serious nutters in that lot, so I was glad to get out in one piece.

Oh! As for later on that day, a little excursion to the Goldstone to see our beloved boys dismantle another relegated side - Malcolm Allison's Crystal Palace 1-0.

Happy days!! :D

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
March 1966. Millwall vs Albion at Cold Blow Lane. Mill wall on the cusp of breaking the all time league record for being unbeaten at home. Halfway through the second half with Millwall cruising at 2-0 the mood of the home fans around us (no segregation back then) was relaxed. Suddenly the Albion scored twice in a minute and the mood changed abruptly. An Albion fan a few feet in front of me and my mate could not contain himself and threw up his arms when the equaliser went in. He promptly disappeared under flailing boots and we saw lengths of wood with nails protruding from the end being used as well. Totally outnumbered we survived because we wore nothing that identified us as the enemy. It was a almost a relief when mill wall scored a late winner and the threat around us evaporated. Was Cold Blow Lane where football violence started or are there any other contenders?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
who cares about the violence and police brutality...just look at those flares! The guy trying to run away from the copper would have an easier time if he wasn't wearing the main sail of a small yacht on each leg.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
March 1966. Millwall vs Albion at Cold Blow Lane. Mill wall on the cusp of breaking the all time league record for being unbeaten at home. Halfway through the second half with Millwall cruising at 2-0 the mood of the home fans around us (no segregation back then) was relaxed. Suddenly the Albion scored twice in a minute and the mood changed abruptly. An Albion fan a few feet in front of me and my mate could not contain himself and threw up his arms when the equaliser went in. He promptly disappeared under flailing boots and we saw lengths of wood with nails protruding from the end being used as well. Totally outnumbered we survived because we wore nothing that identified us as the enemy. It was a almost a relief when mill wall scored a late winner and the threat around us evaporated. Was Cold Blow Lane where football violence started or are there any other contenders?

To those of you out there who never visited the ' Old Den ' at Millwall, it was the most spine-chilling, blood curdling, sheer terrifying football experience ever. It didn't matter what age the home fans were, whether they were 50 yr old dockers or 17 yr old sons of dockers, they were all up for it. No segregation, as stated. You couldn't wear colours, that was a death sentence. You couldn't applaud your team. Cue recipe for violence. Eyes were everywhere, sussing out the non-locals. You couldn't walk to or from the ground with any degree of confidence. They would hunt in packs, often sending ringers off to overhear quiet conversations and then laying the trap. I must have gone to the Old Den 4-5 times and I still remember those visits now.
The Millwall fans prided themselves on being hard as nails and I'm sure many players found it as intimidating as away fans. Even the police realised it was virtually un-policeable and just let a lot go on.
If you search for the origins of football violence, Millwall would be a very early contender and although there would be claims by other clubs ( Cardiff and Leeds particularly ) I can confidently say that no other ground came close to the aptly named Cold Blow Lane.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I notice the old bill are giving people sly digs in a lot of em. Nothing changes in 40 years. RIP Ian Tomlinson.

Thousands of football fans trying to kill each other and you are moaning about a couple of policemen. What happened to Ian Tomlinson was disgusting but the behaviour of the so called fans in these pictures nearly killed our sport. In fact many more fans would have died on the terraces if it was not for the good work by the majority of policemen and women.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thousands of football fans trying to kill each other and you are moaning about a couple of policemen. What happened to Ian Tomlinson was disgusting but the behaviour of the so called fans in these pictures nearly killed our sport. In fact many more fans would have died on the terraces if it was not for the good work by the majority of policemen and women.

The actions of those fans of course led to the fencing around pitches and that was an accident waiting to happen!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here