Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Covid 19 Test for Key Workers

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Looks like the government testing website has crashed. Am I missing something but opening to 10m people now in one go is asking for trouble is it not?

It hasn’t crashed, sorry if that doesn’t make a damming slight on the Government’s efficiency and give you something to snipe at!!!!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If you are a key worker who is displaying symptoms then you will take priority over an NHS nurse who isn't. I can't see that either of you have more chance of being asymptomatic than one another :shrug:

(I suspect that all key workers, whether showing symptoms or not, will start getting tested in the next few days, it's just prioritising this first few tests).

And, I don't know whether I'm getting confused, but I thought that 'key workers' were, by definition, ones that couldn't work from home ???

It is confusing, I've spoken about this with friends and there is conjecture about it. According to that list and the original one drawn up in March, I assume I still am a 'key worker' in financial services, as I was when it was originally announced. My brother is a teacher and he's doing all lessons from home that he's still got and not going into school at all now, so he's still a 'key worker' too I assume, as it doesn't specify the WFH aspect on the list when 'teaching staff' are mentioned.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm a key worker but I have no symptoms, so why would I have a test? Crazy if people are doing this and they don't really need to.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Looks like the government testing website has crashed. Am I missing something but opening to 10m people now in one go is asking for trouble is it not?

You’re not missing anything, you’re looking for something. As usual.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Submitted my application just a moment ago, who else is going to get one done?
We were discussing this last night. It says you can have a test if you 'need' one. We felt that meant if you had symptoms (or someone in your family did). Not sure you can (or should) just have one for the sake of it.

EDIT - just read your second post.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
See Lawrence Fishburne keeps getting tested on the news.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just talking about testing on the BBC and the fictional 100,000 tests and the new fictional 200,000 tests Chris Hopson CEO for NHS Providers England has said its all very well upping the numbers of tests but the lack in numbers of pathology labs and availability of the chemicals means yes more testing but but turning these around in the Labs means turnaround times which were down to 24 hours are now upto 5 days.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just talking about testing on the BBC and the fictional 100,000 tests and the new fictional 200,000 tests Chris Hopson CEO for NHS Providers England has said its all very well upping the numbers of tests but the lack in numbers of pathology labs and availability of the chemicals means yes more testing but but turning these around in the Labs means turnaround times which were down to 24 hours are now upto 5 days.

More of a concern, is that this rush to hit the 'target test numbers' means there is now no method to fast track NHS front line workers through the system. It's an example of poor political decisions getting priority over things that actually matter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
More of a concern, is that this rush to hit the 'target test numbers' means there is now no method to fast track NHS front line workers through the system. It's an example of poor political decisions getting priority over things that actually matter.

it is poor planning they couldnt prioritise NHS, they'd still have got the testing numbers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Went to the Amex this evening for the doris to get tested (she works in a care home). She had mild chest constrictions a few weeks ago and stayed off work for a week or so as a result, but has returned and has had no symptoms since. Her manager there wants all the staff tested regardless though, so we booked it up this afty, got the timeslot and off we went. I had an option of having a test too, but didn't bother taking it up, as (touch wood) I've not had any symptoms at all, at any point so far.

All very well organised as a drive through, the whole thing took about 20 minutes (you 'self-swab' yourself in the nose and throat in the car). The stewards there all had Albion high-viz vests on, so I guess these were probably the regular stewards just getting some hours in.

I actually tried to book the test on Monday, but there were no slots available at the Amex so it was giving me CROYDON as our nearest test centre to go to. Fook that. So if anyone else is booking a test and gets given some far-flung test centre to yomp over to, just try again in a day or two's time and you'll probably get a more local one (there were hundreds of Amex slots available when I went back on the website today).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
it is poor planning they couldnt prioritise NHS, they'd still have got the testing numbers.

They'd still have got the testing numbers?

They missed their target to test 100,000 people by the end of April by over 25,000 and haven't come close since :shrug:

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
They'd still have got the testing numbers?

They missed their target to test 100,000 people by the end of April by over 25,000 and haven't come close since :shrug:

Sticking 40,000 home testing kits in the post a good number of which were sent without any return information is not reaching targets but it is old fashion same old tick box politics

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here