Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry City?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Absolutely this. I live in Coventry and really empathise with their fans. Great bunch, really hope their fortunes change. Deserve to at least be playing Championship football. PUSB.

No club deserves to be playing in any league, if you think that way Newcastle and Villa would not get relegated because they have 'great fans '
Portsmouth would not be a scummy lower league club and Wednesday and Leeds would gain automatic qualification to the Champions league every year,

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I met a good bunch of Coventry fans last season after they'd won 4-0 at Millwall. Very passionate about their club and really hate Northampton .Those two games are going to be interesting especially at Sixfields where they boycotted the groundshare.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014

You know what, BRDJ, that is a very good question. So here's my answer:-

There are some teams that have such money or attitude that one never might care about, but to me Coventry City is a team from a disadvantaged part of England that gave benefits to it's people through its top flight & cup success e.g. Subaru sponsorship, and great joy to an otherwise not very vaunted part of the country. I've never been to to the city or the ground but as a footie fan I have fellow feeling with fans of other struggling teams (or are we really meant to be full of hate or indifference for them?) and of all teams in the league right now I think Coventry City need some empathy for what they must be going through.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No club deserves to be playing in any league, if you think that way Newcastle and Villa would not get relegated because they have 'great fans '
Portsmouth would not be a scummy lower league club and Wednesday and Leeds would gain automatic qualification to the Champions league every year,

But Portsmouth ARE a scummy lower league club shirley???

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They were shafted by owners just as we were. They sold the ground way before the Ricoh was ready and spent more renting highfield road than they made from selling it. The new stadium took ages to build because the site needed more cleaning than originally thought and the delay was costly. The arrangement for the Ricoh once open was bizarre and cov did not make much on match days.

They Are now losing their club completely. Wasps have taken over ownership of the Ricoh and also taking over their training ground. Wasps are clear that they have found a home and they want Coventry to be a rugby city. Cov is the tenth biggest city in the country and to struggle to have a football team.

I started uni in cov in 1997 and used to love my trips to highfield road for premier league football. Now they are at the Ricoh I only ever go to Brighton matches.

The fans have been completely shafted.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I met a Cov fan on holiday, nice lad, very passionate about his team and goes to every match home and away.
When I told him I supported Brighton he knew everything about us going back decades.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
You know what, BRDJ, that is a very good question. So here's my answer:-

There are some teams that have such money or attitude that one never might care about, but to me Coventry City is a team from a disadvantaged part of England that gave benefits to it's people through its top flight & cup success e.g. Subaru sponsorship, and great joy to an otherwise not very vaunted part of the country. I've never been to to the city or the ground but as a footie fan I have fellow feeling with fans of other struggling teams (or are we really meant to be full of hate or indifference for them?) and of all teams in the league right now I think Coventry City need some empathy for what they must be going through.

and Middlesborough with the steel works closing down ? There are countless clubs , not only in the Football League , that are in 'disadvantaged' parts of England....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hate all this 'this particular club should be doing blah, it's such a shame for their fans' bullshit. It's the sort of utter rubbish you expect spouted by SKY TV plastic Premier League wankers not BHA fans. No one club is entitled to be doing anything, Cov City have had enough success as a club for several footballing lifetimes. If you're going to feel sorry for a set of fans how about feeling sorry for Stockport fans, Scunthorpe fans, Barnet fans Wrexham fans, Bury fans, the list is endless. Unbelievable.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hate all this 'this particular club should be doing blah, it's such a shame for their fans' bullshit. It's the sort of utter rubbish you expect spouted by SKY TV plastic Premier League wankers not BHA fans. No one club is entitled to be doing anything, Cov City have had enough success as a club for several footballing lifetimes. If you're going to feel sorry for a set of fans how about feeling sorry for Stockport fans, Scunthorpe fans, Barnet fans Wrexham fans, Bury fans, the list is endless. Unbelievable.
Agree with your first point cheeky. But as for the second, bad people can take over any level of football club, it happened to Coventry so I feel sympathy for the fans. Otherwise people could take the same stance about Brighton if they happened to be supporters of less successful clubs than us. The issue is the stewardship of the club, not its league standing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Absolutely.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
and Middlesborough with the steel works closing down ? There are countless clubs , not only in the Football League , that are in 'disadvantaged' parts of England....

Very true. And Coventry may be in a disadvantaged part of England now, but that was hardly true when the British car industry was in full production, and Hillman amongst others, were employing thousands in the city!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here