Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry City vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***** Official Match Thread *****

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Watching the withdean years and we MISS a CHIPPY or OATWAY or even HAMMOND in midfield.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just back from the game - I live locally in Bedworth. This was an abject performance with little drive or passion. We looked better once Buckley and Lua Lua came on but, again, our distribution and final ball was poor. Our execution throughout the game was poor. I think that is the first time I have not clapped the team as they left the field.

Let's put this into perspective, Coventry were poor. We were poor. We are missing a keeper (Angers was definitely at fault for the 2nd), we miss a midfielder who can control a game and we miss a striker who can score. This to me, and I suspect by many, is obvious. This was a winnable game.

We lack pace and quickness of thought as too often, our midfield slowed it down and they did not support CMS and Paynter adequately. Coventry had a game plan and worked hard for each other. They got men behind the ball when required as were they incisive when required. However, they were still poor.

We also have a problem with referees and the club need to sort it out. This must (MUST) come from Gus as he should lead by example. We picked up two bookings because of our past. Simple.

All in all, we have a lot to sort out. No goals in four games (and we didn't really look like scoring today), four defeats on the bounce and with tough games ahead. We have the players to do it but we are not playing to our strengths. I think the belief has deserted us.

Good post and I think the majority might agree that we need a GK, bossing CMF and a buddy for CMS. Might also add a FB to that list but the 3 would do ... also wonder if JFC might "come of age" Aspinall suggested he might have done enough to warrant a start on Monday

May 2, 2010
Had to have a chortle in getting banged by the rock bottom side, in which we've been banged many times as well, is the disciplinary record a cause for concern? and is Gussy losing the plot?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just back from the game - I live locally in Bedworth. This was an abject performance with little drive or passion. We looked better once Buckley and Lua Lua came on but, again, our distribution and final ball was poor. Our execution throughout the game was poor. I think that is the first time I have not clapped the team as they left the field.

Let's put this into perspective, Coventry were poor. We were poor. We are missing a keeper (Angers was definitely at fault for the 2nd), we miss a midfielder who can control a game and we miss a striker who can score. This to me, and I suspect by many, is obvious. This was a winnable game.

We lack pace and quickness of thought as too often, our midfield slowed it down and they did not support CMS and Paynter adequately. Coventry had a game plan and worked hard for each other. They got men behind the ball when required as were they incisive when required. However, they were still poor.

We also have a problem with referees and the club need to sort it out. This must (MUST) come from Gus as he should lead by example. We picked up two bookings because of our past. Simple.

All in all, we have a lot to sort out. No goals in four games (and we didn't really look like scoring today), four defeats on the bounce and with tough games ahead. We have the players to do it but we are not playing to our strengths. I think the belief has deserted us.

think we all realise this .........we need to win games like this , a 2-0 defeat at cov is a shit result............bumped into a lad in the boozer today from whitehawk , his brother in-law is involved in the club .......he said there won't be much happening in the january window but we have a sizeable amount to spend on players for next season......the players we already have just need to shut the f*** up and play football, create a nucleus and some backbone to build on ........i thought we would win this game to be honest , i am fuckin gutted.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gus says we were ok.
I suspect Tony Bloom will want a little better than ok in the coming months after having spent the best part of 5 mill in the summer.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Me too as played alongside him in the Sunday league and he just used to tell me where to stand and then nod the ball down to my feet....quality striker

He was a great player for Worthing - just not quite good enough for the Albion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Interesting. Wonder if this also explains our two red cards against Burnley? If there really is some kind of vendetta against us, it's pretty outrageous. But perhaps you're right - how many teams have a player booked for taking a free-kick too quickly? Scandalous.

Interesting. Wonder if this also explains our two red cards against Burnley? If there really is some kind of vendetta against us, it's pretty outrageous. But perhaps you're right - how many teams have a player booked for taking a free-kick too quickly? Scandalous.

Referees meet every two weeks and it would be naive of us to think that they do not discuss clubs and their current disciplinary form. Gus (for the record, he is the best thing to come to the Albion for a long time), needs to build bridges quickly with referees. Brian Clough had a philosophy, get the refs on your side, do not argue with refs, any player who argued with a decision faced his wrath and Clough would not have been afraid to drop that player. We suffered yesterday because of the recent discipline problems. We did not deserve the two bookings yesterday at all. Nooney was sythed down on numerous occasions and the Coventry player just got a talking to. Nav takes a free kick a yard away and gets a yellow, Dunk goes in for a genuine tackle, also picks up a yellow. This is not rocket science. Equally, it is frustrating and understandably, emotions will run high further compounding the situation and leading to referees justifying their current 'tag' on the Albion. It happened to Leeds, Wimbledon and Joey Barton. Marked.

It needs Gus to lead us out of this and he can. He is totally passionate, however, with passion comes emotion which often leads to loss of control. I for one do not want Gus to lose his passion and commitment but he must know when to curb his frustrations, this goes for Tanno as well. Players will respond to him and act accordingly, they follow his lead whatever it may be as they are a team and back each other. Someone must take stock and change this current culture. We are much better than this.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Referees meet every two weeks and it would be naive of us to think that they do not discuss clubs and their current disciplinary form. Gus (for the record, he is the best thing to come to the Albion for a long time), needs to build bridges quickly with referees. Brian Clough had a philosophy, get the refs on your side, do not argue with refs, any player who argued with a decision faced his wrath and Clough would not have been afraid to drop that player. We suffered yesterday because of the recent discipline problems. We did not deserve the two bookings yesterday at all. Nooney was sythed down on numerous occasions and the Coventry player just got a talking to. Nav takes a free kick a yard away and gets a yellow, Dunk goes in for a genuine tackle, also picks up a yellow. This is not rocket science. Equally, it is frustrating and understandably, emotions will run high further compounding the situation and leading to referees justifying their current 'tag' on the Albion. It happened to Leeds, Wimbledon and Joey Barton. Marked.

It needs Gus to lead us out of this and he can. He is totally passionate, however, with passion comes emotion which often leads to loss of control. I for one do not want Gus to lose his passion and commitment but he must know when to curb his frustrations, this goes for Tanno as well. Players will respond to him and act accordingly, they follow his lead whatever it may be as they are a team and back each other. Someone must take stock and change this current culture. We are much better than this.

Totally agree with these sentiments.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
He was a great player for Worthing - just not quite good enough for the Albion.

It makes you realise just how good you need to be to make it at pro level. He was on a completely different planet to the rest of our team/league and he wasn't able to make it. And that was 25 years ago and it's even more difficult in this day and age so may be we shouldn't be too critical when the current Albion team fall a bit short at times!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007

Top post. Unwarranted or not, the yellow/red card suspensions and sending offs have cost us points and Gus/Tanno need to lead from the front in rectifying the problem.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
relationships with officials collapsed when tano did the pocket trick after the 'pen' at soton. it was a scandalous decision - but refs are not gods, they just behave like one for 90 minutes. start telling them they are taking bribes and they are bound to react. since that moment, we have endured some frankly incredible decisions (making noone walk round the pitch with a pulled hamstring is perhaps the most shocking of all and shows a kind of petty retaliation to our antics).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
we have endured some frankly incredible decisions (making noone walk round the pitch with a pulled hamstring is perhaps the most shocking of all and shows a kind of petty retaliation to our antics).
The club doctor and physio should be writing letters of complaint to the FA about this petty vindictiveness.

relationships with officials collapsed when tano did the pocket trick after the 'pen' at soton.

Agreed. Tanno MUST take responsibilty, especially as the assistant manager. When he plays, he leads by default and others follow. This has to be addressed by both Gus and Tanno. We are a marked team and will be for a while until we can prove otherwise. Guilty before being proved innocent. Harsh but that is the way it is, and to a degree, we only have ourselves to blame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here