Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Coventry City forced to play 19/20 home games in Birmingham

theboybilly

highfield-road-coventry-west-stand.jpg

There it is. Happy days.

That's more how I remember Highfield Road than the stadium pictures posted before in which it looked a lovely modern stadium. I first went when there was a big white wall that showed how much the pitch sloped down to the corner flag. Coventry was always a decent day out for me on the odd occasions I went there (not all of them Albion away games though)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not only is the demise of the football club a real shame but you have to feel for Coventry Rugby Club - at one time one of the best rugby clubs in the land, back to back winner of the John Player Cup in 1973 and 1974, then Prem side Wasps turn up on your doorstep.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
In the 80s it used to have one open end behind the goal housing the Spion Kop offset to one side. It was a bit like the chicken run at the goldstone

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was at that game. I remember thinking "why are they moving from here, seemed like a nice stadium" obviously I felt like that about any football stadium that had a roof while we were at Withdean.

After a few years at Withdean, I can remember when a roof actually felt like a NOVELTY. I went to Millwall one year for an evening and it was absolutely tipping down. We were stood under a roof, bone dry, and it felt like luxury. I couldn't stop smiling.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I read an article a couple of months on Sisu in one of the broadsheets and how they operate, they use the full power of the law for their benefit - you really have to feel sorry for all Coventry fans.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
They average over 17,000 - second only to Leicester - and twice as many as the football club at the moment.
Yep, and sadly Wasps are capturing the hearts of many people there, especially families. Lived in Coventry for best part of 8 years until last November and far more people I worked with mentioned Wasps than the Sky Blues. Really sad state of affairs there as these same people talk about the FA Cup win and Highfield Road days with such fondness.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
:shrug:

They've had multiple 28,000 sell-outs.

I went Cov uni so spent many an evening watching Cov play. student discounts are a wonderful thing and so still keep on eye on things. One of the guys I work with comes from Cov and watches both Cov and Wasps. He goes to Wasps game mainly because they discount tickets massively, so big crowds don’t really tell the true story. He’s an account and so has taken an interest in both clubs. Cov is a mess however wasps aren’t nearly as healthy as they make out ....

Anyhow, there is only one Coventry rugby club and they don’t play at the Ricoh .....
I hate wasps as they branded themselves as London wasps rather than wasps, the implication being they were London’s team, which is the height of tin pottery. Only made more tin pot by moving to Coventry ..... wankers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyhow, there is only one Coventry rugby club and they don’t play at the Ricoh .....
I hate wasps as they branded themselves as London wasps rather than wasps, the implication being they were London’s team, which is the height of tin pottery. Only made more tin pot by moving to Coventry ..... wankers!

The were 'Wasps RFC' for best part of a century, and only became 'LONDON Wasps' in 1999, shortly before they left London (Loftus Road), never to return! the DINS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

Textbook.

I know nothing about so so many things, one of them, unsurprisingly, being rugby attendances.

But when presented with a simple choice of 'google it' or 'make a wild statement' and BG went with #TeamStatement, I instantly had a pretty good idea about Wasps attendance record at the Ricoh Arena. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Sisu - the owners of CCFC - are shits. They are a hedge fund who don't appear to understand anything about how to run a profitable business - instead they they treat everyone like crap and sue people rather than talk to them. Everyone hates them.

They could have stayed at the stadium if they stopped suing the Wasps and the Council, but they refused. They will lose every legal action they run but they are hoping to wear all the other parties down with costs and being bloodyminded and objectionable. The best outcome would be if Wasps could start their own Coventry football club and get the fans to support that one instead, but a lot of Coventry fans (understandably) want to stay with City even though there is no end in sight.

Nothing will improve until the club is run into the ground or whoever is making decisions at Sisu is removed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here