Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countryside Agency Response

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A question for LB, I guess...

The Countryside Agency have responded to our objection to including (part of) the Falmer site in the proposed National Park... do we need to do anything else to fight back?...

LB?...
Anyone else?...

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
how have they responded?

what have they said?

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
You don't have to do anything.

What people received this morning was the Countryside Agency's (CA) response to our submissions on the national park boundary in the Falmer area. (There were 2,500 of these, all c/o the Supporters' Club naming me as the contact - but I haven't had anythng from the CA!)

The CA is proposing the boundary for the entire national park. At Falmer it is proposing that the stadium site within the City of Brighton & Hove is outside the park, and that the coach/bus park (in Lewes District) is inside the park. Our submissions were that the entire area north of Village Way should be outside the national park.

The CA's proposals are being examined at a public inquiry at the Chatsworth Hotel in Worthing which is almost over (it's been going a year now!). Objectors to their proposals present their evidence to the Inspector and the CA states their case.

All our submissions were tied in to the evidence of both the city council and the Albion. Early in November the cases were heard and the Inspector will in due course present his report to DEFRA, where the Secretary of State (Margaret Beckett at present) will make the final decision, perhaps next year.

I attended the sessions, which was quite fortunate as the CA witness claimed not to be aware of any public opinion against the merits of the beauty of the coach park site. I was able to pass a note to Jonathan Clay, our counsel, that there were in fact 2,500 objections! The CA then admitted that this was in fact half the total of the objections to ALL parts of the national park!

The Albion's case was essentially that the CA's case to designate the coach park site goes against its own guidelines in designating land for the national park. I was convinced, but the minister will make the final decision.

So you can all ignore what you received this morning. Essentially, it is old news and merely the summary of the CA's case.

Tim Carder
Chairman
BHA Supporters' Club

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Cheers Tim.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Excellent informative post Tim.

A standard OS map will show the dividing line of the Brighton & Hove city boundaries which is the arbitary division that Lewes District Council proposed.

Tim will know what the argument presented to exclude the current AONB boundaries up to the geographic boundary of the B2123. (I assume this is right?)

In other parts of the South Downs national Park boundaries, e.g Adur, the CA are proposing to exclude AONBs from the National Park in similar circumstances to the bit being requested (by 2,500 people) to be excluded near Falmer. I expect these areas to be excluded if the NP actually goes ahead.

Now for the controversial bit. My analysis is this leaves the way clear to introduce Village Way South as a further alternative site into the fray, should it be advantageous to do this.

This is strictly the business of the people of Brighton & Hove and Falmer. Not in the national interest any more.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good grief! Let's pay for another inquiry.:angry:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
dougdeep said:
Good grief! Let's pay for another inquiry.:angry:

To make it clear, I am just suggesting this. I did say "advantageous" which means both cheaper and if the legal bods could work in. I think it is probably too late now as it would require an extra "Planning Permission" to Lewes District Council as well as Brighton?

I think we are left with the Falmer Way North only. My imagination gets the better of me sometimes.

perseus said:
Now for the controversial bit. My analysis is this leaves the way clear to introduce Village Way South as a further alternative site into the fray, should it be advantageous to do this.
No-one, not even the Albion, has suggested that the land south of Village Way should be excluded from the National Park.

Your analysis is hopelessly flawed, Percy.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Alright then LB. My geography of Falmer is a bit iffy. I reject my suggestion. I wish I had never had said it!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whilst you are on about rejection do it for the P site as well please

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende is an OE word = impounded water (I think). It is not on any official maps. It was last shown in the historic records in 1566 at an unknown location.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
perseus said:
Pende is an OE word = impounded water (I think). It is not on any official maps. It was last shown in the historic records in 1566 at an unknown location.

Then why the f*** are you obsessed with a stadium at an unknown location thus pi$$ing everyone off ?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Aaargh !!!!! You've got me there.

I expect everybody is pissed off because the elected politicans and people responsible, have failed to deliver a stadium like they have at Derby, Bolton, Stoke etc.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
perseus said:
Aaargh !!!!! You've got me there.

I expect everybody is pissed off because the elected politicans and people responsible, have failed to deliver a stadium like they have at Derby, Bolton, Stoke etc.

No, we're pissed off that you keep chuntering on about nothing in particular!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
perseus said:
Alright then LB. My geography of Falmer is a bit iffy. I reject my suggestion. I wish I had never had said it!

I do recall the presentation at Hove Town Hall that included a graphical display (a bit gimmicky) of a stadium embedded in the downs at a location which seemed to roughly correspond to Village Way South, and a planning permission was drawn up for this location.

Am I to take it that these are just pretty pictures that do not mean anything? Did not mean anything then and/or now?

If that is the case, what are we to believe?

I expect nobody will believe anything until the first brick is laid, and then we will not be quite sure!

perseus said:
I do recall the presentation at Hove Town Hall that included a graphical display (a bit gimmicky) of a stadium embedded in the downs at a location which seemed to roughly correspond to Village Way South, and a planning permission was drawn up for this location.

Am I to take it that these are just pretty pictures that do not mean anything? Did not mean anything then and/or now?

If that is the case, what are we to believe?

I expect nobody will believe anything until the first brick is laid, and then we will not be quite sure!
The Albion did submit a planning application for VWS to the City Council.

The Club withdrew it before it was considered by the Planning Committee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here