Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country Pub recommendation for great food

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Been to many of these including the Cock Inn, Griffin and I was at the Jolly Sportsman last Saturday. All good BUT, the one you want, the answer to your question is...

The Coach and Horses in Danehill

We've been there twice this summer and had two family meals. Everything, every single last element, was exceptional. It's cheaper and at least on a par with than The Griffin or the Jolly Sportsman and just better than the Cock Inn. I honestly could not recommend it highly enough. Lovely beer garden too.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
The Cock at Ringmer always a favourite or give the Laughing Fish at nearby Isfield a try. Unpretentious but spot on proper pub food.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Royal Oak at Wineham, just across the fields from me is excellent also.

A 14th century building, and has been a pub for a couple of hundred years l believe. Bitter is served staright from the cask in an ante room off the main bar.

The menu, (and the dining room), are quite small, but the food is excellent. Best to book in advance if you are thinking of eating here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Royal Oak at Wineham, just across the fields from me is excellent also.

A 14th century building, and has been a pub for a couple of hundred years l believe. Bitter is served staright from the cask in an ante room off the main bar.

The menu, (and the dining room), are quite small, but the food is excellent. Best to book in advance if you are thinking of eating here.
Landlord (Michael) does a bbq for our running club every summer, smashing fella and food is always excellent. Real atmospheric old place, nice garden - if you've got time for a decent walk there's some great footpaths behind the pub down to and along the river.

Would also recommend the Victory or the Jolly Tanners at Staplefield, Shepherd and Dog at Fulking, Greyhound at Keymer.....thinking about it, we're extremely well served by country pubs around here......

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
As already mentioned we are extremely well served for cracking pubs in the countryside. 25 minutes outside of Brighton and you might as well be in a different country.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
Dorset Arms withyham if you can be bothered to go that far.

Henry VIII in Hever is great although a little pricey.

The Catt inn west hoathly also very good. Excellent wine list and as long as your table is in the old original part then a wonderful culinary experience

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Best pub for food and for the view (a bit pricey) is The Griffin Inn in Fletching.
The Half Moon in Plumpton isn't bad too.

Is there a quote from

The Argus
Paul Barber or
Chris Hughton

To back up this claim as you never seem to have an opinion OF YOUR OWN.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Sussex is truly blessed with some cracking country pubs.
Been to most of the ones deservedly mentioned on here although can't believe anyone in their right mind would nominate Friar's Oak - absolute garbage !

It's a tough choice, but my pick for West Sussex would be The Welldiggers Arms at Low Heath, nr Petworth ; https://www.thewelldiggersarms.co.uk/
and for East Sussex, the aforementioned Griffin at Fletching - go for the lunchtime barbecue in the stunning garden held on summer weekends ; http://thegriffininn.co.uk/serengeti/

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Friar's Oak and all the Vintage Inns seem to have been heading downhill recently. Certainly wouldn't recommend.
The Juggs is no better than average.
The Cat in West Hoathly is very good.
The Bolney Stage can be relied on for decent food and good service.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
A great thread, can we move it a bit further west, say to Arundel, Chichester area, The Spur at Slindon is very good.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Adding my nomination for The Cock near Ringmer. Only been the once, but they also own the Highlands in Uckfield and the food in both is worth eating.

Aaaand, I'm going to add a new name: The Gun near Chiddingly. Went there the other night for anniversary dinner with the wife, and been a few times previously. Jolly good food and tasty beer too. Also: big garden if the weather is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here