Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Country House Hotel recommendation?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve been tasked with sourcing and booking a country house hotel for a 4-5 day stay in November. I know little about such things, so seek input from the NSC hive mind please…

Things of interest: must be in England or Wales; country location (not a city), good food a big plus, spa would be nice, but not essential. Err, that’s it.

Some friends have suggested Bailiffscourt - any opinions?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've not stayed there, but I took a note of Beaverbrook - https://www.beaverbrook.co.uk - when I saw it somewhere-or-other for the type of stay you describe.

A bonus is that it's in the Surrey Hills, it's not very far away at all, although maybe it won't be countryfied enough for you...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've not stayed there, but I took a note of Beaverbrook - https://www.beaverbrook.co.uk - when I saw it somewhere-or-other for the type of stay you describe.

A bonus is that it's in the Surrey Hills, it's not very far away at all, although maybe it won't be countryfied enough for you...

That’s the sort of thing, yes. TVM

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’ve been tasked with sourcing and booking a country house hotel for a 4-5 day stay in November. I know little about such things, so seek input from the NSC hive mind please…

Things of interest: must be in England or Wales; country location (not a city), good food a big plus, spa would be nice, but not essential. Err, that’s it.

Bailiffscourt is very good stayed there a few times. Decent Spa and the food is very good. Nice walks along the beach as well. Arundel is a stones throw away to visit. Only downside is if you get put up in their modern blocks - you can ask for the traditional part of the hotel but it gets booked up quickly BUT it is actually all fake ( not that you'd guess it ). Nice roaring fires, afternoon tea etc. Their sister hotel Ockenden Manor is very good as well. Used to have a Star for it's food but lost it but the food is still of a very high standard. Decent Spa as well. For ambience I prefer Ockenden - really old worlde, numerous open fires and fantastic views. For food I prefer Bailiffscourt.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

https://www.lakedistricthotels.net/innonthelake/
Inn on the Lake. Glenridding

Fabulous hotel in a fantastic location and if you can get the room with the carved headboard on the 4 poster views of the Lake and Mountains

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Vicinity wise for you ???
I took Mrs AR here for our wedding anniversary afternoon tea.
Lovely place, you won't be disappointed:)

https://www.hartwell-house.com/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For luxury, amazing food, gorgeous but not vast grounds:

Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, Oxfordshire
Gravetye Manor, near East Grinstead
Hotel Endsleigh, above on the Tamar (run by Alex Polizzi)

Le Manoir is absolutely stunning as is the food…and the prices!

Decades ago but Gravetye had the biggest wine list I have ever seen

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Jul 7, 2003
I've had mixed reports from Baillifscourt from people who have stayed there.

Ockenden Manor is nice and the expanded spa is meant to be very good.

Also been to Newick Park which is a lovely building and grounds with good food.

South Lodge would be the premium option but would certainly meet your food requirements. Looks like Spurs were there ahead of the game on Saturday rather than the ESN where many stay but don't let that put you off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here