Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Counting charity shops.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
No you don't need all of them, but independent shops struggle to survive as all they do is act as free showrooms for the likes of Amazon. Plus no doubt the local Supermarket also stock some of what these shops will offer thus turning themselves into massive convenience stores - why go into town and go to 5 shops when you can get everything at Tescos or whomever, who, no doubt, will even deliver it to your home.

I do this quite a bit. I look for a product in a store to check it out if it's something I really want to buy then go on the internet to buy it cheaper (sometimes by a big margin).

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Driving up our high street yesterday, then noticed another charity shop of Barnardos had landed from the mother planet 'Charity'
Its up there in competition with Bexhill of how many 2nd hand crap (charity) shops you can cram in to one town.

I can tell you that Barnardo's opened 90 new shops last year, will open 90 this year and 90 next year

New shops coming soon in Pitlochry, Glenrothes, Tamworth, Oldbury, Milton Keynes, Solihull, Swindon, Basingstoke, Coventry , Witham , Basingstoke, Newark, Borden, West Drayton, peterborough and TWO in Burgess Hill

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The British Heart Foundation charity shop in London Road usually has some interesting books and music in. Always worth a browse. Clothes in charity shops in town tend to get skimmed for the best stuff by the North Laine retro shops so they can be re-sold to hipsters at a hefty mark-up. The new Martlets shop in London Road is also worth a visit.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Picked up some great records on the cheap in various outlets. No problem with charity shops whatsoever.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know a bit about retail especially the Brighton sector, I have absolutely no idea how most of the independent (generally fashion) shops survive, even after factoring in the rich husband letting their wives have a plaything ( it still is generally wives) the others should be basket cases.

Its not as if the proprietors live a prudent lifestyle, after a days trading they 'till up' their few hundred quid and jump into their luxury car and speed off into some swanky address in Hove, very strange.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The British Heart Foundation charity shop in London Road usually has some interesting books and music in.

Well they have some discerning donors - they've had about 200/300 books off me in the past year or so :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Living in Charity Shop on Sea I would much rather have shops being used than empty shops.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have proper shops and less reliance on charities.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If you ever go to Windsor, check out the Red Cross Charity shop behind the station. It's full of designer clothes at charity shop prices.

We were tipped off about this place and popped in and bought a Ralph Loren shirt for £20 and a couple of golf tops for £5 each which were basically brand new and the shirt itself would have been £80.

Felt a tad guilty so bought a load of books too.

Worth the trip!

Hmmmm a Ralph LOREN shirt for twenty quid :facepalm: did the horse have five legs?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have proper shops and less reliance on charities.

Oh I agree and there are still plenty of opportunities for businesses in the town with empty shops but the charity shops do bring people to the town centre who hopefully then use the proper shops.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I picked up "Never mind the bollocks" CD for 75p in one. felt a bit awkward handing it to the old dear behind the counter.

I had the same experience with the roxy music album with two young ladies on the front cover in see through undies! Found the album, took it to the old lady behind the counter who looked at me as if I was a sex fiend and tutted loudly. Only cost £1 for a classic album without any scratches!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here