Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countdown to Star Wars

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can someone explain to me why this: https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Duke_Of_Yorks/Whats_On has happened?

Okay its going to be on all the time at the Marina, but why has the Duke of Yorks given up on any kind of indie film and handed virtually all screen time to this behemoth Disney franchise? Surely its the antithesis of independent cinema.

Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy. I was never a Star Wars fan and was hoping to take the kids to see something for Christmas. I'm working hard to try to convince my youngest that 'Its A Wonderful Life' wouldn't be "boring," but am fighting a losing battle with the little cynic.

Guaranteed money spinner and will help fill up the coffers and keep them running for a while on the proceeds, offsetting any losses from the poorer attended films that they may struggle on and allowing them to keep showing them because they could use this cash injection to subsidise it?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Guaranteed money spinner and will help fill up the coffers and keep them running for a while on the proceeds, offsetting any losses from the poorer attended films that they may struggle on and allowing them to keep showing them because they could use this cash injection to subsidise it?

That makes sense. As I said, I'm just grumpy because I can't take the kids to see some Christmas classic like in previous years.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Absolutely superb, I urge all that are seeing next week to keep away from social media, I walked out speechless and have thought of very little else in the last 8 hours, even popped up in my dream. I'm 46 and I'm a Star Wars fan.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
There were a couple of bits I wasn't too keen on - won't specify at this stage to avoid spoilers, but overall I thought it was great. Really feels like part of the original trilogy rather than the CGI laden prequels. The humour is very similar to that found in the Abrams directed Star Trek reboot.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's all really exciting and that but it's just a film. In 3 months you'll be able to buy it in Tesco.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A few people have asked me about that. There were so many nods and references to the old ones that i wasn't sure. The franchise is so ingrained in me I find it hard to conceive how it would play out without prior knowledge. My answer was that i thought it would still be excellent, especially with a passing interest in the originals. I really did enjoy the shots of the 'old' stuff though, i thought they played that part well.

Oi! Numpty, keep your mouth shut!!!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Found the transition of a Star Wars story not focussed so much on the old characters hard at first but by the end I was enthralled with what was to become of Rae and Finn. A couple of mostly CGI character moments aside, I can safely say Star Wars is back to its best.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can someone explain to me why this: https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Duke_Of_Yorks/Whats_On has happened?

Okay its going to be on all the time at the Marina, but why has the Duke of Yorks given up on any kind of indie film and handed virtually all screen time to this behemoth Disney franchise? Surely its the antithesis of independent cinema.

Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy. I was never a Star Wars fan and was hoping to take the kids to see something for Christmas. I'm working hard to try to convince my youngest that 'Its A Wonderful Life' wouldn't be "boring," but am fighting a losing battle with the little cynic.

Picturehouse cinemas as owned by Cineworld? They are not the independent arthouse cinemas they are dressed up to be, anymore.

But also this. To an extent. It is my understanding that Duke of Yorks has had an exceptional year in terms of bums on seats, even before Star Wars came out. So hopefully this means Cineworld will not tamper too much with what they do at Dukes.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've not been this excited for a film since 1983, when I was in a massive queue to get into an afternoon showing of Return of the Jedi.

I can still remember the crowd who had just seen the showing before ours exiting the Cinema, shouting over to their friends in the queue that is was GREAT!

Getting goose bumps just thinking back on it :clap:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Funnily enough, Attack of the Clones is on the box here as I type this. Probably the most boring of all the films. :shit:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
£3.60 for a bag of wiggly worms is a rip off , I was expecting to see a poster of Boubar on the wall or during the Pearl and Dean ads thanking me for my custom. The film was alright but ..... Its not real , I know crazy thing to say but you will understand once you see it sat next to a wookie and a hut

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It is my understanding that Duke of Yorks has had an exceptional year in terms of bums on seats, even before Star Wars came out. So hopefully this means Cineworld will not tamper too much with what they do at Dukes.

Good to hear and good news for me in that the youngest has succumbed to cake bribery and we will see the saga of the Bailey Building & Loan this Christmas.

So in the spirit of good will to all you fans of Star Wars: Live long and prosper!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Saw it today. It was very well done. I especially liked the old man in the han solo costume and Carrie fishers CGI'd face.

carteater

Just got back from seeing it today, it was great. I nearly shed a tear after the bit where if I said it here it would be a big spoiler to those who haven't seen it yet (those who have seen it will know which bit I'm talking about), which was very well done by the way!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
How odd to find the 7pm Sat evening show at the marina barely a third full....

A 'solid' entry in the series, desperately needed. Looks absolutely superb and shows what a mess Lucas made with the visuals of 1-3 and the terrible reedit/adjustment of 4-6. I liked the jokes and the new leads. Found the acting of the old guard a bit wooden at times, Chewy excepted.

**spoiler alert***

for future films they need to stop rehashing the same plot line!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here