Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Council to discuss stadium for the women's team.....

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Of existing stadiums to renovate, Withdean is probably the most viable. As we know the site can manage crowds of 6,000. There's already changing rooms, media facilities, floodlights, 1 stand (once the pigeon shit is scrubbed off) and room for an ABUNDANCE of other stands. Would like to see stands directly behind each goal though rather than the other side of the track

Whitehawk is a non starter- getting crowds in and out of that ground would be a nightmare if it was around the 3,000 mark

For a new stadium the Brighton uni fields next to the Amex could be a good one to SNAP UP and a lot of the travel infrastructure is of course already there. Would be cool having it next to the amex as well and maybe the uni could use if for stuff as well

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I seem to remember PBOBE saying that part of the funds from sales of Caicedo, Mac Allister etc would be used to invest in the women’s team. Will be interesting to see how much the club spends…but bringing the women to play in Brighton must be a huge positive.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Waterhall? Toads Hall? Beeding? Shoreham? Deja Vu.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This. It's a no-brainer. Just such a crying shame that the Amex couldn't 'of' been built there, rather than in the shitty back of beyond
Absolute tosh. Withdean is an athletics stadium and it should always remain so. It was used temporarily (for a decade!) because we needed a home but it was never appropriate for the club if we wanted to grow and realise the enormous potential that we had. If you can't see how the Amex has enabled the growth of the club then I can't help you and if you care so little about athletics that you'd have been happy to see it developed then I don't really have anything else to say to you.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nice to develope Withdean and use it also for a national athletics stadium.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolute tosh. Withdean is an athletics stadium and it should always remain so. It was used temporarily (for a decade!) because we needed a home but it was never appropriate for the club if we wanted to grow and realise the enormous potential that we had. If you can't see how the Amex has enabled the growth of the club then I can't help you and if you care so little about athletics that you'd have been happy to see it developed then I don't really have anything else to say to you.
Go take a history lesson :wave:

thumb__500_500_0_0_auto.jpg

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Whitehawk doesn't have great transport links, but I still think it would be sensible to at least explore. Same with Withdean.

I do also wonder if we could get an actual community stadium out of it? Particularly given I believe the absolute max games for a women's side season is about 25 games (league, FA Cup, League Cup and European football).

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
That's this season where we've only played one game at home and it was immediately before the Liverpool game (literally the final whistle blew as the men's game was starting). Last season isn't HUGE but is much better reading.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 17.18.28.png

And the peak attendance for last year was over 5k in the one game at the Amex (it would have been two but one was rescheduled to midweek and played at Crawley due to the Queen dying).

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have seen nothing on here of the specifications required to play in the Women's Super League and Women's Champions League. Both of which Tony and the club are committed to competing in at the highest level. The last time I looked at WSL ground specifications, I think needed to be at a men's League 2 standard or above or able to host that level of game with 6K incluing x amount of seats. I think you also have to have things we have in place like training and academy systems but also VIP areas, Media facilities, officials rooms, VAR systems, flood lighting etc etc. The fact we can easily get 6K crowds at the AMEX and with the attendances that success and marketing can bring, I would assume a 10K plus stadium would be the minimum specification. Tony has always invested about £25 million plus a year on infrastructure, I am sure he has spoken before at his unhappiness at the Women playing so far away from Brighton, I do not know how the finances of a billionare work but I am sure these costs are managed by write offs and expected increses of income. It will be very exciting to follow this story and developments, as the club goes for the next big push for Brighton and Hove's WSL team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here