Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Council to discuss stadium for the women's team.....

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
According to The Argus.

I' sure this has been mentioned before and will be something the club would like to achieve.

Is this likely to be redevelopment of an existing site ( Withdean ) or an option for a new build, if so what size considering some games at Crawley have attracted crowds in excess of 4000. With the growth of the women's games the potential options to bring the team back to Brighton are interesting..

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
According to The Argus.

I' sure this has been mentioned before and will be something the club would like to achieve.

Is this likely to be redevelopment of an existing site ( Withdean ) or an option for a new build, if so what size considering some games at Crawley have attracted crowds in excess of 4000. With the growth of the women's games the potential options to bring the team back to Brighton are interesting..
That would be great if they can have a home of their own in the city.

If they use Withdean then it needs to be with a more permanent stadium in mind, with covered stands.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure what’s happening there but wouldn’t a developed Old Barn Way at Southwick be ideal - near to Lancing complex, A27 and trains.

Withdean has more space, unless some of the Rec at Southwick can be used.

Not sure if Southwick comes under the jurisdiction of B&H Council.

Could wait for Starmer to get in and they can build it on the Pavilion lawns😉😉😉

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure what’s happening there but wouldn’t a developed Old Barn Way at Southwick be ideal - near to Lancing complex, A27 and trains.

Well, I'm not sure Brighton and Hove City Council could have much input in facilitating any development in Southwick.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Women's football doesn't make enough money yet to justify a purpose built new stadium. Withdean would be an awful venue, it wasn't fit for purpose a decade ago and it isn't now.

That leaves: upgrade the U21 pitch at Lancing from 1,100 capacity to around 6,000 in conjunction with using the Amex. There are conditions around using the Amex for excessive numbers of games, maybe the council should look at lifting those restrictions? It's not 1989 anymore, I'm fairly sure the stadium has proved itself to be a force for the good.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Women's football doesn't make enough money yet to justify a purpose built new stadium. Withdean would be an awful venue, it wasn't fit for purpose a decade ago and it isn't now.

That leaves: upgrade the U21 pitch at Lancing from 1,100 capacity to around 6,000 in conjunction with using the Amex. There are conditions around using the Amex for excessive numbers of games, maybe the council should look at lifting those restrictions? It's not 1989 anymore, I'm fairly sure the stadium has proved itself to be a force for the good.
Why is it possible to upgrade a currently not fit for purpose pitch at Lancing but not Withdean?

It will all come down to how much Bloom wants to spend I suspect

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Southwick is West Sussex under Adur council.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why is it possible to upgrade a currently not fit for purpose pitch at Lancing but not Withdean?

It will all come down to how much Bloom wants to spend I suspect
I'm no expert, it's just that I'm assuming there is fair amount of infrastructure already in place at Lancing. TV stuff, traffic management, that sort of thing. :shrug:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Tony has already spent best part of £35 million of infrastructure on the Albion's Women's WSL Team and Women's and Girls Academy set up, he obviously wants to invest and spend more. How in anyway is that not enough money in our growing Women's game.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tony has already spent best part of £35 million of infrastructure on the Albion's Women's WSL Team and Women's and Girls Academy set up, he obviously wants to invest and spend more. How in anyway is that not enough money in our growing Women's game.
Because they play so far away from B&H that few can be arsed to make the effort to go and watch them?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Aside from being in Adur - which the training complex is as well so that doesn't have to be a barrier - it doesn't look like there would be room round the old Southwick pitch at Old Barn Way for any meaningful stands to be built, let alone any other infrastructure.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The options for sites in Brighton & Hove that spring to my mind are Withdean or the Whitehawk Ground. Not many other places where there’s enough land going spare in the city really.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm no expert, it's just that I'm assuming there is fair amount of infrastructure already in place at Lancing. TV stuff, traffic management, that sort of thing. :shrug:
Not sure that the access at Lancing would stand up to 6,000+ people trying to get to and from the stadium and the chances of it being expanded must be minimal with current access through a housing estate. I wonder if another route etc could be found in through the rest of the development going on there. WIthdean is always going to have the running track and the probability the South Stand will never be able to have a roof which continues to make it a miserable experience for live football.

I think the club would probably favour a site where they can start from scratch and build something for purpose. Nearly 20 years on from our battles to get planning permission for Falmer the world is a different place and I can see a smaller stadium being welcomed if a suitable location can be found.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the club would probably favour a site where they can start from scratch and build something for purpose. Nearly 20 years on from our battles to get planning permission for Falmer the world is a different place and I can see a smaller stadium being welcomed if a suitable location can be found.
Those shops on that retail park opposite Hove Park on the Old Shoreham Road never look that busy / successful.

We should put in an application to knock those down and build a stadium there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here