Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council issue £10,000 in parking fines to football fans since new scheme introduced

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Actually, some of them do have dates on. For example the one at the bottom of hillside at the junction with the avenue has dates on. It lists the next two dates the scheme is in place. That is the start of the parking restriction zone, the signs in my street don't have dates on, so it appears to just be signs on the main entries to the restricted area that have dates.

I stand corrected: the ones in the streets around me don't have any dates on and I'd not seen any that had, but then, I'm not in Moulsecoomb much

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
There are no dates printed on any of the signs - they don't need to be changed. But one of the ones near us has already been replaced once as a car knocked it over, I'm sure others have already been damaged.
The signs at the entrance to the parking zones have dates (i.e on coldean lane, entrance to highwayfrom Avenue and Moulsecoomb way)

You think that parking around Fiveways is caused by football traffic? I really doubt that many fans park there
I live by Lucerne Road, I assume you mean Lucraft Road?

Indeed, you are correct I got my roads mixed up.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
As Alex, Alex Dawson has pointed out, there are no plans to make residents pay for it. It certainly wasn't mentioned in the material that was sent to us

There are no dates printed on any of the signs - they don't need to be changed. But one of the ones near us has already been replaced once as a car knocked it over, I'm sure others have already been damaged.

You think that parking around Fiveways is caused by football traffic? I really doubt that many fans park there

lol Do you really think they are going to mention that at some time the residents will have to pay for the on going scheme at some stage, the club are not going to pay for this service forever.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
The residents are better off charging everyone £2 to park there for 3 hours. Nice little earner.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
lol Do you really think they are going to mention that at some time the residents will have to pay for the on going scheme at some stage, the club are not going to pay for this service forever.

I do know that every time that the council (whether run by Lab, Con or Green) has introduced a new CPZ, there's been a ballot of the affected areas asking whether residents were happy to have restricted parking, even if it meant paying for permits. I think this is standard practice - it happened to me when I was living in Balham 15 years ago too.
It may well be true that the club won't pay for this for ever, I thought it was part of the conditions of the stadium but I'll bow to greater knowledge on this. But I don't believe that the council will make residents pay for permits without another ballot. Lord B probably knows about this process

I do know that every time that the council (whether run by Lab, Con or Green) has introduced a new CPZ, there's been a ballot of the affected areas asking whether residents were happy to have restricted parking, even if it meant paying for permits. I think this is standard practice - it happened to me when I was living in Balham 15 years ago too.
It may well be true that the club won't pay for this for ever, I thought it was part of the conditions of the stadium but I'll bow to greater knowledge on this. But I don't believe that the council will make residents pay for permits without another ballot. Lord B probably knows about this process

As I posted previously, this is a condition of the stadium planning consents.
The club initially, and successfully, argued that CPZ's would be unnecessary because the "success" of the voluntary PZ around the Withdean Stadium showed that fans would respond to request not to park in the vicinity of the Amex. Hence, the only formal parking restrictions applied in the vicinity of the Amex, when it opened, were in Falmer village although the planning consent made provision for a parking survey to be carried out to determine the success, or otherwise, of the voluntary scheme elsewhere. If the level of on street matchday parking exceeded 10% of normal then the club would be charged (which I believe it was) and this automatically triggered the Council's resident consultation on the introduction of CPZ's in Coldean and Moulsecoomb. The cost of the consultation, the setting up and running of the CPZ's are paid for by the club although this is offset by the default charges and the fines collected from illegally parked motorists. From memory, the surveys found there to be something like 540 extra cars (+25%) being parked in the two areas (combined) on matchdays.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The cost of the consultation, the setting up and running of the CPZ's are paid for by the club although this is offset by the default charges and the fines collected from illegally parked motorists.

I didn't know that. Does the club get all the fines or a proportion? And how does that work given that it's not the club policing it? If the council have to pay to monitor the area, but don't collect the revenue - what's in it for them?
And that could explain the comments under the Argus article about the number of cars parked illegally but not ticketed

I didn't know that. Does the club get all the fines or a proportion? And how does that work given that it's not the club policing it? If the council have to pay to monitor the area, but don't collect the revenue - what's in it for them?
And that could explain the comments under the Argus article about the number of cars parked illegally but not ticketed

I guess it works by the Council costing the maintenance and "policing" of the CPZ's, deducting the fines their wardens have collected and then charging any shortfall to BHA. If there's an excess then presumably it'll be carried over.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
How much does parking cost at the stadium? The £25 fine may be cheaper than some spaces!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here