Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Council imposing double council tax on second homes in Brighton & Hove.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Mid Sussex is representative, we already have a vast housebuilding strategy. Shame it doesn’t seem to include the supporting infrastructure

What I found strange about the vast housing scheme being built on greenfield next to Ditchling Common, was why there? The wrong side of Burgess Hill to the A23. Folders Lane, the poor road to HH and the congested area by World’s End will see 1,000’s more cars each day. The fields along the link road to the A27 crying out for housing, not just warehouses. Can only think that it makes BH look more balanced on a Mid Sussex planners exciting masterplan.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Landlord / Rental market is a vital part of keeping a roof over people's heads and any tax on it stand alone would simply be passed on to people on low incomes who are renting.

This is kicking Two Home Tories. Good.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What I found strange about the vast housing scheme being built on greenfield next to Ditchling Common, was why there? The wrong side of Burgess Hill to the A27. Folders Lane, the poor road to HH and the congested area by World’s End will see 1,000’s more cars each day. The fields along the link road to the A27 crying out for housing, not just warehouses. Can only think that it makes BH look more balanced on a Mid Sussex planners exciting masterplan.

I would think you may be looking in completely the wrong place to understand the justification for that build, but I suspect that my natural cynicism maybe coming to the fore :wink:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The Landlord / Rental market is a vital part of keeping a roof over people's heads and any tax on it stand alone would simply be passed on to people on low incomes who are renting.

This is kicking Two Home Tories. Good.
Funny enough those on a low income are already paying far more pcm than the actual mortgage! Ironic that huh?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just wondered what you thought of this. I'm all in favour of filling empty homes that would otherwise lie empty. However, penalising people like myself that were sufficiently prudent to purchase the property that they live in, whilst retaining ownership of their original property ? I've never exploited a tenant financially or otherwise, and always respond immediately to any maintenance problems that should arise.

The more money that you take from a family, the less disposable income they have, which obviously has a negative impact upon their lives, especially if they have young children. I think my last tenant resided there for 12 years. The initial rent was way below the market value, and remained that way, although I must have increased the rent by 15% during that time. If I end up paying another £150 a month, I might as well sell the flat. It's more hassle than it's worth. I'm just wondering what the council achieves here ?
Nothing worse than smug twat landlords who think they were ‘prudent’ when really they were lucky to live in a time when a single person could easily buy 2 properties.

Very unsurprising when they then don’t understand a thing about proposed legislation on second homes

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They pass it on in rent increases.

Tenants trapped.
Eh? My entire point was this WASN'T aimed at landlords but people with second homes for leisure, either coming down at weekends, Air BnBing it or leaving them vacant. There are no tenants to pass this on to.
Funny enough those on a low income are already paying far more pcm than the actual mortgage! Ironic that huh?

In English please.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Eh? My entire point was this WASN'T aimed at landlords but people with second homes for leisure, either coming down at weekends, Air BnBing it or leaving them vacant. There are no tenants to pass this on to.

In English please.
If you can't read or understand that you are not English........:shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm very sorry, but can someone explain why anyone needs a second property after they have bought (or got a mortgage) on the one they live in, unless it is part of some sort of business (which I have no issue with, but would then be subject to business rules) :shrug:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What I found strange about the vast housing scheme being built on greenfield next to Ditchling Common, was why there? The wrong side of Burgess Hill to the A27. Folders Lane, the poor road to HH and the congested area by World’s End will see 1,000’s more cars each day. The fields along the link road to the A27 crying out for housing, not just warehouses. Can only think that it makes BH look more balanced on a Mid Sussex planners exciting masterplan.
They’re next :shrug: Thousands going up between BH and H Heath as well. The par 3 golf course will be covered at some point.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Scratches the economics for landlords, little effect, rents rise. Making BTL’s energy efficient is their biggest cost concern.

Second home income should be seen 100% as Income as should any capital profit on the asset, we must free up a significant amount of properties onto the market, dropping prices and enabling first time buyers into the market

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Second home income should be seen 100% as Income as should any capital profit on the asset, we must free up a significant amount of properties onto the market, dropping prices and enabling first time buyers into the market

Or just build new homes. The problem is that everyone living in a cosy owned-home thinks their town’s a special case and shouldn’t expand.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If you can't read or understand that you are not English........:shrug:
Your first word is grammatically incorrect, you've misused 'ironic' and your whole point makes no sense at all.

But worst of all you've used an exclamation mark to try and prove you're right. First up against the wall when I take over. In fact, I'd remove them from keyboards.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Or just build new homes. The problem is that everyone living in a cosy owned-home thinks their town’s a special case and shouldn’t expand.
That's a part of it, yes, but there are many people, I know, on relative low income but owning 2, 3 or 4 houses, the market has created many BTL landlords and the financial support encourages them. It's morally wrong to have people renting at £1,500 something that would cost them £1,000 with a mortgage, which is just profit for landlords

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you can afford a second home, you can afford to pay a bit more tax

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

In English please.
That makes a bit more sense, although the story I read didn't make it clear.

If you have a "second home for leisure", how the hell do you get insurance for it if it's empty most the time ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's a part of it, yes, but there are many people, I know, on relative low income but owning 2, 3 or 4 houses, the market has created many BTL landlords and the financial support encourages them. It's morally wrong to have people renting at £1,500 something that would cost them £1,000 with a mortgage, which is just profit for landlords

I know the same situations. They consider themselves very switched on, the likes of us naive in missing out. In no time at all under Blair, Cameron, worth far more than most people, in my experience with a largely empty home in France or Spain too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Which of course is the real solution. Home owner (and the economy) is just going to have to accept that existing house prices are hopefully going to fall or become static as more of the "product" hits the market.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Your first word is grammatically incorrect, you've misused 'ironic' and your whole point makes no sense at all.

But worst of all you've used an exclamation mark to try and prove you're right. First up against the wall when I take over. In fact, I'd remove them from keyboards.
Bit pompous aren't you. The OP has missed the point, empty second homes should be double council taxed. Private landlords should not be able to charge double the mortgage in rent. Plain enough for you now? Pffft

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here