Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Couldn't make it up......

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Will our Captain and Striker have to move back to the Country they Play for? Which would be a shame.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It was highly amusing to watch a pro independence spokesman on BBC news just saying that talk of financial institutions moving south of the border were just scare stories,and anyway, it is all George Osbourne's fault as he will not talk of monetary union and a shared currency. Well done Sherlock, ten out of ten for stating the bleeding obvious!

The boss of John Lewis has just said that Scottish consumers may face higher prices than those in England if the yes campaign is successful.

I actually don't really care either way, what I don't believe in is increased devolution in the case of a no vote.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Based off 1,000 people these polls, so nothing really to shout about

Having done some statistics thousands of years ago as part of a three year marketing course, the polls are probably far more accurate than people would give them credit for. I seem to remember that the election day polls on General Election days are usually fairly good at predicting the final result.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think the vote will be on, but if it is yes, I am sure we will all cope with it. I just think it would be far more difficult for the Scots - certainly initially - than they are saying.

And the Governor of the bank of England said the other day what I have long thought, and it was also in a very good editorial in the Guardian yesterday, over the currency and sovereignty issue, which is basically what is the point of independence if you are still tied to and governed by someone else's currency. Decisions would not be made in Edinburgh about interest rates and other major financial matters.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What would add to that is if Orkneys and Shetland then declare they demand a referendum and decide for independence from Scotland or, better still, to rejoin the Union. Large slice of Salmond's projected oil revenues disappear.

I would love that! Like the Falklands but nearer :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The banks that have said they'd move aren't necessarily saying jobs would go, at least not thousands of them, merely that they'd re-designate their HQs to London so as to make sure they fell under the governance of the Bank of England still. As Mr Toad will no doubt outline today.

Frankly I'm not sure we'd WANT RBS down here, given their catastrophic financial affairs of recent years, but that's another argument altogether.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Interesting and amusing snippet on the Today programme yesterday where they had their China correspondent in the Studio, and asked her about Chinese reaction to the referendum question, and she seemed to make two main points:
1. Why would a country which is part of something that is only a pinprick off the coast of Europe anyway actually want to become even smaller.
2. Why have a referendum in the first place if there is a danger of losing it.

Obviously these say more about the Chinese than the Scots.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They have already set up registered companies in England to where they will transfer assets.

An independent Scotland's economy would have a more serious exposure to financial services companies and banks than the rUK economy (believe it or not) and as it won't control its own currency it won't have a lender of last resort to bail them out if they were in trouble.

The board's of these companies would be failing to protect shareholders and customers if they did not transfer the assets to a more secure economic environment.

Doesn't necessarily mean everyone loses their jobs in Scotland but the financial services sector will shrink significantly.

No doubt some may consider that to be a positive........

It will not be a positive if they cannot get a mortgage to buy their house in Scotland and these are not idle threats these Banks will definitely move out of Scotland

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I doubt all these firms will really move, will they? Isn't it just some sort of crappy threat?

They can "legally" move just by changing the Registered Address, which ultimately requires not that much more than shifting the brass plaque outside the door and changing your paperwork. No people or offices actually move but its hugely symbolic (and potentially expense for the government of the territory you move from - no more taxes!).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting and amusing snippet on the Today programme yesterday where they had their China correspondent in the Studio, and asked her about Chinese reaction to the referendum question, and she seemed to make two main points:
1. Why would a country which is part of something that is only a pinprick off the coast of Europe anyway actually want to become even smaller.
2. Why have a referendum in the first place if there is a danger of losing it.

Obviously these say more about the Chinese than the Scots.

The Chinese solution to stifle any dissent on independence within her borders was to grant autonomous region status to Inner Mongolia and Tibet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just looked at the latest survey and the 'NO' vote is winning...how can they say these surveys are a true reflection of voters (...most are based on 1,000 voters view.)..so you collar a 1,000 (a small amount amongst the thousands upon thousands of voters) and you happen to get more answers from the 'YES' or 'NO' Camp...and then say they are leading in the polls. The truth is nobody knows.

Based off 1,000 people these polls, so nothing really to shout about

Statistically speaking, as I recall, you can be 95% confident of your poll with just 30 respondents, and 99% confident with 1,000. However, you do have to make sure your poll is fairly representative of the population at large.

So whilst nobody knows for sure, a poll of 1,000 diverse people is a pretty good and accurate barometer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They can "legally" move just by changing the Registered Address, which ultimately requires not that much more than shifting the brass plaque outside the door and changing your paperwork. No people or offices actually move but its hugely symbolic (and potentially expense for the government of the territory you move from - no more taxes!).

My take on it is Westminster is calling in favours from the financial sector to scare the voters into voting NO with doom-laden predictions Scotland will end up destitute.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What would add to that is if Orkneys and Shetland then declare they demand a referendum and decide for independence from Scotland or, better still, to rejoin the Union. Large slice of Salmond's projected oil revenues disappear.

I would love that! Like the Falklands but nearer :)

The Scots would have to give them a different name, continue to claim them despite the will of the people and, every time their government hit a rocky patch, they threaten to invade. Then, given they are cold and windswept, with more sheep than people, but access to loads of oil and gas, they are IDENTICAL!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Statistically speaking, as I recall, you can be 95% confident of your poll with just 30 respondents, and 99% confident with 1,000. However, you do have to make sure your poll is fairly representative of the population at large.

So whilst nobody knows for sure, a poll of 1,000 diverse people is a pretty good and accurate barometer.

Doesn't that rather depend on confidence interval though?

For a population the size of Scotland to be 95% confident your confidence interval is just over 3 for a sample set of 1000, which means you have an error margin of +/- 3, which in turn makes anything around that 50/50 margin rather difficult to call.

If you wanted a confidence interval of 1 at 95% confidence you'd need to interview over 9.5k people.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Doesn't that rather depend on confidence interval though?

For a population the size of Scotland to be 95% confident your confidence interval is just over 3 for a sample set of 1000, which means you have an error margin of +/- 3, which in turn makes anything around that 50/50 margin rather difficult to call.

If you wanted a confidence interval of 1 at 95% confidence you'd need to interview over 9.5k people.

Ah yes, I knew I was missing something - it was a long time ago I did stats! Anyway, it'll be interesting to know how %age confident you can be with an error margin of +-5, which is the lead the No camp apparently have...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I still suspect this will go the same way as a typical Aussie referendum on being a Republic. Everything will point to a split with the ones for a change becoming more and more vocal as voting day comes up. The polls will point that way too. Then, when people get in to a polling booth they'll quietly soil themselves and vote for the status quo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here