Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could you please name the opposition in these Peter Ward photos?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks.

ward-action.jpg

actionyellowsedited.jpg

I thought they were against Oldham from Sept 1978 but black and white photos show that Oldham played in white shorts that day.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If you are sure it was Sept 1978, the only other home game we had that month was Preston North End

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it Sheff Wednesday ?

Thanks for the guess. It won't be as Sheffield Wednesday were still a Third Division side when we were rocking the higher echelons of the Football League.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you are sure it was Sept 1978, the only other home game we had that month was Preston North End

No, I'm not sure it was Sept 1978 at all.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Looks like Leeds to me.

Leeds were with Admiral when we played them in 1979/80.

Other guesses that I have eliminated: Bristol Rovers, April 1979. Again, although they were in yellow shirts, they played in white shorts.

Any other guesses welcome?

(I'm trying to put these photos into the website at Seagulls TV - The Albion Retro Site but I don't know which season's gallery to put them in!)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think i am mad-but i would have the crowd in that photo painted 3 colours

Black-for sadly no longer with us
Red-for no longer goes to games
Blue-still watches at the Amex

Be interesting to see the split in colours

For the purpose of the thread i initially thought Portsmoth,Bristol Rovers or Birmingham-but what would i know

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Swindon? Southend? First letter over Wardy's shoulder looks like an s.

You are correct! At least, it was an 'S' - for Sunderland.

Thanks everyone. By the end of the season, Sunderland had a shield on their away shirt rather than the letters.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Thanks.

ward-action.jpg

actionyellowsedited.jpg

I thought they were against Oldham from Sept 1978 but black and white photos show that Oldham played in white shorts that day.

Just had a look on hineys programme website 26 Aug 78 v Sunderland and both the blonde lad and the mustache wearing defender appear to be in sunderlands Team photo, although the teamsheet says that they played in amber not yellow, your very own website shows them to be in yellow Seagulls TV - 1978/79

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Swindon? Southend? First letter over Wardy's shoulder looks like an s.

That's what I was trying to make out , it does look like an S plus it looks like a really hot day if you look at the crowd lots of people in T shirts so I looked up our games played in August that year and we Played Sunderland on August 26th

So with my detective work I'm saying SUNDERLAND

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bloody excellent detective work [MENTION=22252]T soprano[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3215]the wanderbus[/MENTION]. I'm slightly embarrassed now that I hadn't worked it out before!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I thought it might have been Sunderland, but tried googling Sunderland shirt 1979 but it kept coming up with Alan Sunderlands cup final shirt :rant:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Bloody excellent detective work [MENTION=22252]T soprano[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3215]the wanderbus[/MENTION]. I'm slightly embarrassed now that I hadn't worked it out before!

Sunderlands away kit that season was Blue so I'm guessing that yellow shirt would have been only worn on that one occasion teams in the 70s never had a 3rd strip to my knowledge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here