Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Tony Bloom sell the club

Feb 14, 2010
I think the club value should be based on the following formula

Club value = (Revenue + Net Assets) x (Net Profit + Revenue)/Revenue x (Stadium Capacity %)/(Wages/Revenue)

I dont think the usual way of valuation works for football. Without saying who or why (nothing to do with what I do), but I know something about negotiations to buy a Championship club that didnt go through. What I can say is that the price they were looking to pay would not have come close to even half the price that Bloom has paid for the ground, never mind the training ground on top. So if that is anything to go by then Bloom would have lost a fortune if he did sell. If he sells, it will be when/ if we go up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I dont think the usual way of valuation works for football. Without saying who or why (nothing to do with what I do), but I know something about negotiations to buy a Championship club that didnt go through. What I can say is that the price they were looking to pay would not have come close to even half the price that Bloom has paid for the ground, never mind the training ground on top. So if that is anything to go by then Bloom would have lost a fortune if he did sell. If he sells, it will be when/ if we go up.

I agree with you WCP, and have been saying this all along. Why would he sell when (a) It would crystallise the losses he has incurred to date, and (b) He loves the Albion.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Of course he could sell, and I'm quite sure a time will come when he will.

It's fantastic that he is a fan, and that he comes from a family such as the Blooms that have a history of both family wealth and Albion involvement, but I also think that as a businessman TB will have an exit strategy.

If I take my blue and white specs off, TB has invested at a time when he could see a reasonable chance of an exit strategy that would recoup his investment. he didn't throw money at transfer budgets for McGhee, of stump up £1.5m when we all received the SOS letters from Martin Perry. While I'm sure he would have always stepped in at the 11th hour if we were on the cusp, his major investment came when there were bricks and mortar in return. The Amex planning permission made us a viable investment option. The training academy the same. The relatively high spends for us on the squad in the first year or 2 at The Amex put bums on seats and gave us a genuine shot at the Premiership, and that would have given TB a host of potential buyers, I'm sure.

I'm not saying he's about to sell,, or doesn't care for the club (although not blindly saying he'll own it forever will be viewed as that by some), I'm just saying that as football investments go, his money has gone in as loans, and the asset value of the club has gone up with his two major spends. Some people do make money investing in football, if you do it in the right way. TB probably isn't looking to make money, but if the opportunity arose whereby he could get out even, having moved the club he loves forward so massively, I think he'd be sorely tempted.

He's not just a fan he's also a businessman, and a gambler. And he's bloody good at them all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If I take my blue and white specs off, TB has invested at a time when he could see a reasonable chance of an exit strategy that would recoup his investment.

If Randy Lerner can't get £150m for Aston Villa, who are an established PL club, how can TB get his £200m back for the Albion?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But we do know he's pumped £200m into the club. I doubt he put more than half his money in so he must have at least£200m in assets, that must net him about £10m a year, so £2m is not a high loss.I heard last week that sailing a yacht round the Med for a week burned £200k in fuel, so football is a cheap hobby!

But I agree that the crunch could come when he dies, let's hope it's not for many years
Have expensive wind down there, do they? :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If Randy Lerner can't get £150m for Aston Villa, who are an established PL club, how can TB get his £200m back for the Albion?

I don't know the loan / debt / training ground / ownership details of Aston Villa. But looking at the Albion, with The Amex, the training facilities, and zero bank debt, then if we could win promotion to the Premiership, then I would have thought the potential income streams make that entirely possible.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't know the loan / debt / training ground / ownership details of Aston Villa. But looking at the Albion, with The Amex, the training facilities, and zero bank debt, then if we could win promotion to the Premiership, then I would have thought the potential income streams make that entirely possible.

The new owner would have to finance the deal somehow, so there is a fair chance they would take on debt. Only 8 out of 20 PL clubs made a profit last season, the main problem being that the increased TV money is offset by far larger wage demands.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The new owner would have to finance the deal somehow, so there is a fair chance they would take on debt. Only 8 out of 20 PL clubs made a profit last season, the main problem being that the increased TV money is offset by far larger wage demands.

And that's exactly how someone could buy us one day, with TB recouping his money. You buy the club, borrow against the assets and pay yourself a big "management fee". It's how the Glaziers financed the Man Utd deal, and is always the attraction when a club (or any business) has large income streams, no bank debt, and the structure to make bank debt readily available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here