Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could This Possibly Happen?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disagree.

We had the highly effective Murray-Barnes combo. Made no real effort to retain Murray.

Then, immediately after, we had the highly effective Ulloa-Barnes combo. Made no real effort to retain either.

A bit pitiful really, and a real statement of intent of lack of ambition within the club.

Between Murray and Ulloa there was a two year period where we had CMS on his own running around upfront, surely you haven't forgotten that? It was mostly forgettable though, so maybe you have.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Between Murray and Ulloa ther was a two year period where we had CMS on his own running around upfront, surely you haven't forgotten that? It was mostly forgettable though, so maybe you have.

Wot no Barnes during that interim period? Blimey! Must have blanked that out. My fault, I'm sure. 'CMS on his own running around upfront' is however a recurring bad dream. As it continues to be.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ŵ
With Leicester looking doomed and almost relegated from the Premier League, do you think the Albion could put in a bid to get Leo back in the blue and white stripes for next season? After all he's a proven goal scorer with us and that's something, unfortunately, you can't say that about the conveyor belt of strikers that have rocked up at the Amex in recent seasons.

Yes, I know it's a pipe dream but at least we can get to sing our favourite Albion song. Altogether now - " Who's that man from Argentina . . . ".

No, no it couldnt

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Wot no Barnes during that interim period? Must have blanked that out. 'CMS on his own running around upfront' is however a recurring bad dream. As it continues to be.

Barnes was hardly ever played as a genuine forward by Poyet once we arrived in the Championship, sadly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes was hardly ever played as a genuine forward by Poyet once we arrived in the Championship, sadly.

I'm sure your memory is better than mine. In me own head the Albion have had an unbroken line of top quality strikers from Zamora to Knight to Murray to Barnes to Ulloa. Loved watching every single one of them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Paul Barber said that players refuse to sign contract that have relegation clauses in them, so his wages probably won't be cut. That's why parachute payments were brought in.

So why would Bridcutts wages have been cut by 40% had Sunderland been relegated last season ?

Don't put all your trust in the spin machine

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Ulloa and his family still in live in Hove.
Shame we've could'nt offer the transfer fee and wages to bring him back.
Reckon Leicester would'nt entertain a bid anything less than £3.5million.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Get him back, Tony.

And Zamora, and Murray as well, please :rock:

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
No chance. That moneys probably already been put into the FFP sink. Never to be seen again ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So why would Bridcutts wages have been cut by 40% had Sunderland been relegated last season ?

Don't put all your trust in the spin machine

I don't doubt that you've read that somewhere, but why would Barber state that to a Q & A audience? It is the purpose of parachute payments, isn't it?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Paul Barber said that players refuse to sign contract that have relegation clauses in them, so his wages probably won't be cut. That's why parachute payments were brought in.

They might refuse to sign them for us or Barber but I have no doubt most lower Premier League clubs insist on them and the players sign them. Paul Barber is only the font of knowledge of all things Albion not other clubs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They might refuse to sign them for us or Barber but I have no doubt most lower Premier League clubs insist on them and the players sign them. Paul Barber is only the font of knowledge of all things Albion not other clubs.

He also worked for Spurs & the FA.

What are parachute payments for?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
took us 5 years to find a good front man going to be a long time before we see another 1 ?

think CH will have a clearout in the Summer and I trust him to find a good striker from within or a young thruster from the lower league.
do like the way he goes about things and I hope I am right if Barem Kayal is anything to go by I am sure he will come up with the goods

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I'm sure your memory is better than mine. In me own head the Albion have had an unbroken line of top quality strikers from Zamora to Knight to Murray to Barnes to Ulloa. Loved watching every single one of them.
You can put Nicky Forster in there too.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
There is no way we could afford Uolla however Bridcutt and Buckley would be welcome to return and help us keep a top half of table in the Championship
Buckley's constant hamstring injuries has made him half the player he used to be imo. It was a good deal we got for him, he's hardly pulled up loads of trees at Sunderland, and probably himself and Bridcutt partly cost Poyet's job.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd like new players.
You know players that have never played for the Albion.
Players from the past we don't have to keep banging on about.
Someone from one of the 91 other league clubs.
Or the 1000's of clubs around Europe.
You know some DIFFERENT.

Sure I'd love to have Leo back, but that's somewhat unlikely.
Plus Leo MkII could be out there and we could have the excitement of the unexpected, all over again.

Are other messageboards as obsessed with former 'stars' as we are?

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
think CH will have a clearout in the Summer and I trust him to find a good striker from within or a young thruster from the lower league.
do like the way he goes about things and I hope I am right if Barem Kayal is anything to go by I am sure he will come up with the goods

hope you are right but you still need the backing????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here