Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Nigel Farage end up a great British political leader?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Nope, you're probably right.

But a lot of by election results are reversed when it comes to a general election, so even if UKIP managed to get themselves a seat somewhere mid term, they may end up losing it come the main event. The protest voters feel they've made their point, and go back to their usual preference.

Remember the Eastbourne by-election, following the IRA murder of Ian Gow? Seen as a massively safe Tory seat. Some weaselly, deeply unimpressive bloke in glasses- I forget his name :D- stood as the Lib Dem candidate and unexpectedly took the seat by about 5,000 votes.

Then promptly lost it again by the same margin two years later at the next general election. No idea what happened to him after that. Probably faded into the pages of history, right? :whistle:

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure significant numbers of voters feel confident yet enough to go with UKIP in a general election, although they might put an X in the box for their MEP. And that's why it feels like the coverage Farage gets is disproportionate to his political standing as things are.
Dear Edna,that is probably one of your best post...there is a lot of difference between European Elections and the General Election...Voting for UKIP in the Euro Elections this May will shake up the main parties. We fought two world wars to stop being ruled by another Country,yet,here we are,sleepwalking into an almalgamation of nations who can lay down rules in this country,if you do not like their policies can you vote them out...NO! Make the politicians of this country realise that we should make our laws rather than some solicitor from abroad.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Heaven forbid Labour get back in because they will return us back to the mess they were voted out for, Ukip will get my vote as the main three parties will lie lie lie just to win

It's people like you that politicians prey on to win. With lies. Because they know you'll believe it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
UKIP has no substance to any actual policy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dear Edna,that is probably one of your best post...there is a lot of difference between European Elections and the General Election...Voting for UKIP in the Euro Elections this May will shake up the main parties. We fought two world wars to stop being ruled by another Country,yet,here we are,sleepwalking into an almalgamation of nations who can lay down rules in this country,if you do not like their policies can you vote them out...NO! Make the politicians of this country realise that we should make our laws rather than some solicitor from abroad.

We fought 2 world wars to keep fascism at bay and fought both in alliance with our European neighbours as equal allies.

Your rhetoric is the kind of jingoistic fear mongering that is exactly the opposite of the real issues people should be discussing regarding the actual economic, and political benefits of being within Europe.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I wouldn't like to see Farage in power but I like the fact that he exposing some of the flaws of the other parties.

Have to agree with that.

The EU may well be good for business and as someone whose Company exports throughout the EU I don't want us to leave, but the pressure on housing, education, hospitals, and the affect the huge numbers of Eastern European has had on lowering wages cannot be a good thing.

UKIP winning seats at the European elections might just give those in charge a kick up the backside.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have to agree with that.

The EU may well be good for business and as someone whose Company exports throughout the EU I don't want us to leave, but the pressure on housing, education, hospitals, and the affect the huge numbers of Eastern European has had on lowering wages cannot be a good thing.

UKIP winning seats at the European elections might just give those in charge a kick up the backside.

My fear is that it prevents meaningful debate as the issue is mired in jingoism not unlike we've seen above mentioning the wars, and other ridiculous nonsense. You are making good points, but what actually is the pressure on those services, what are the economic benefits, would the NHS for example be crippled without the professional talent we gain through immigration policy? Is our economy actually bolstered by migrant workers prepared to do the jobs others are not such as fruit picking, manual labour, service industries etc. Is the net increase in population actually over exaggerated and the money coming into our economy and universities etc. far out weighing the negatives, is membership of the EU just an immigration issue?

These ordinary issues get lost in this nationalistic sensationalism of Europe making all our laws, taking away our rights that UKIP just repeats ad infinitum. I really don't think they add much to the debate, as they are a one message party pandering to an irrational mass desire to be our own little island with no recourse to a continent we've had treaties, alliances and shared power with for a 1000 years and more.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Indeed... but he does get between 9-15% in opinion polls... and more in EU elections... not dissimilar to the Liberals at the moment :nono:

Which just goes to show how inept UKIP are at politics. Consistent high scores in opinion polls, yet no MPs, and very few council seats. It's because they're bankrolled by the rich, and none of their supporters or members have got the guts or willingness to go around and bang on people's doors.
The Lib Dems, by contrast, have got good levels of representation at local, national and EU levels.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You sense 2014-15 is his big moment in the spotlight. One day there will be a referendum, we'll vote to stay IN and UKIP will be over as a political force.

In some ways it will be a shame because his "man of the people" style definitely works and the 3 main parties would kill to have some of that appeal.

I differ on this. If given a referendum, I'm fairly confident that those that turn up will ensure that the UK leave the EU as most don't realise that the empire has gone, and are under the delusion that the UK will rediscover its mojo outside of the UK.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
We fought 2 world wars to keep fascism at bay and fought both in alliance with our European neighbours as equal allies.

Your rhetoric is the kind of jingoistic fear mongering that is exactly the opposite of the real issues people should be discussing regarding the actual economic, and political benefits of being within Europe.

You're joking right?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That is probably the biggest reason I stopped voting for Labour, stupid people who associate a cap on immigration as being Xenophobic, Racist and Bigotted. A cap on immgration would be a good thing. One of the reasons would be a good chance for this country to catch up, and get some our young people in to work.

I agree that getting our young into work would be a good thing. But why blame immigrants, when the real reason is that we don't care about unemployment any more. Go back forty years, and figures of a quarter of million would be considered as a crisis. Now our Coalition politicians are busy congratulating themselves that it's diminished by tens of thousands to about 2.4 million. And that's with the dodgy way in which they've been calculating it since Thatcher came in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Same as that other one issue politician, Alex Salmond. If it ever comes to the crunch on the single issue that they campaign on, they will be found sadly wanting. It's simple politics for simple people.

Salmond has consistently been one of the best politicians over the past two decades. It's when he's been confronted with his great moment -- that is, the independence vote, over the past three years -- that he's been found wanting.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
There is no substance to Farage or his party. His policies do not stand up to any sort of scrutiny.

His supporters are blinded by his single policy and his undoubted charisma

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Benefits...Which are what ?
First two Labour politicians were against being in the EU, a certain Hugh Gaitskell party leader was dead against joining the EU as was Lord Healey in 2002.
Face facts...we joined the EU as a trading nation,now it is becoming political...we pay the second largest contribution to the EU and yet are one of the lowest recipients of money back...do you honestly believe that the European nations will not buy our exports if we left the EU.
If the EU was so good how come they have never ratified their accounts and still want the UK to stump up another 3 billion to EU funds.
Many nations get on quite well out of the EU...I have nothing against trading with other nations but draw a line when unelected bodies in Europe start telling us how to run our country,what laws we should use,telling us that we cannot deport foreign crimminals.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Salmond has consistently been one of the best politicians over the past two decades. It's when he's been confronted with his great moment -- that is, the independence vote, over the past three years -- that he's been found wanting.

So when it matters then...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I very much doubt he would be a "great" leader. He has certainly been able to galvanise support for his party though.

The longer the opposition to him make the mistake of calling him far right,a joke or a leader of rabid ex Tories i suspect the more his popularity will grow.The sensible thing to do would be to address why his supporters(from all political persuasions) feel they need to move to UKIP. Currently the main parties are still choosing to ignore this, instead they still play the ridicule card......this policy doesnt seem to be working if the polls are correct ,it just seems to add to his support.

D

Deleted member 22389

Benefits...Which are what ?
First two Labour politicians were against being in the EU, a certain Hugh Gaitskell party leader was dead against joining the EU as was Lord Healey in 2002.
Face facts...we joined the EU as a trading nation,now it is becoming political...we pay the second largest contribution to the EU and yet are one of the lowest recipients of money back...do you honestly believe that the European nations will not buy our exports if we left the EU.
If the EU was so good how come they have never ratified their accounts and still want the UK to stump up another 3 billion to EU funds.
Many nations get on quite well out of the EU...I have nothing against trading with other nations but draw a line when unelected bodies in Europe start telling us how to run our country,what laws we should use,telling us that we cannot deport foreign crimminals.

So true.

D

Deleted member 22389

Have to agree with that.

What you mention here is the main reason I will be voting for UKIP. For me these are big issues that need and should be discussed. I'm worried we will get in to a situation one day where our own services will no longer be able to cope with the demand. Not one single political party has questioned this apart from UKIP. It's not always about the economy, how about our own quality of life and the space around us.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014

The EU was established precisely to prevent wars like WW1 and 2 and we now live in a society of 28 states where war is unthinkable and human rights acknowledged and protected. Why would anyone want to dismantle that rather than make sure it is fit for purpose for the future. It is so easy for Farage to make populist points against the status quo especially when many people feel alienated by a fast changing world. It is a shame that no one ever makes the political case for the EU - a model that other parts of the world, like the middle east, would benefit from so much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here