Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could it just possibly be

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Between Ulloa, Dobbie & Crofts we must have spent at least £3m and as you say we bid for Virgil Van Thingy as well, We've got no shortage of budget I just got the impression that Gus had expensive tastes.

Gus or the players that he wanted? We lost Murray because he was offered more elsewhere.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So why do people want Harry Redknapp? Hasn't he been doing exactly the same thing at QPR?

Yes he has. But the situation is slightly different in two respects.

Redknapp MIGHT be ok, if he has someone controlling him as per Spurs.

At QPR, they have parachute payments in place plus 2 years in the Premiership, Brighton are coming from a different perspective and Poyet would do well to respect that. After all, when he's had money he hasn't always invested in that wisely in players. CMS, Harley, Dobbie......

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The transfer fee and wages of Stephen Dobbie added up to around £650,000 during his time here.

Leo Ulloa was signed for around £2million. Presumably not on peanuts.

I think the issue last season, if there was one in terms of budget, was that it perhaps was not managed well enough. A lot of clubs have development squad players making up bench positions, back-up etc. We had the likes of Ryan Harley on first team wages.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes he has. But the situation is slightly different in two respects.

Redknapp MIGHT be ok, if he has someone controlling him as per Spurs.

At QPR, they have parachute payments in place plus 2 years in the Premiership, Brighton are coming from a different perspective and Poyet would do well to respect that. After all, when he's had money he hasn't always invested in that wisely in players. CMS, Harley, Dobbie......

You've missed the point entirely. One of the criticisms of Poyet is that he was moaning about budgets. Redknapp has been doing exactly the same thing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You've missed the point entirely. One of the criticisms of Poyet is that he was moaning about budgets. Redknapp has been doing exactly the same thing.

You've missed my point, in that Redknapp has more justification for the reason I described, and yes it is the same, but its about the context. Poyet has less argument in my opinion.

In both cases they should knuckle down with the job and not wash their dirty in linen in public - completely unprofessional.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Having the budget strings tightened prior to the play offs should have given him a greater incentive to win!

We competed this year on a tight budget (compared to other clubs in the division). If football were all about money, P****e would not have been promoted. If they can do it, so can we.

This.

Palace showed us the way. Youth development with Zaha and spotting an opportunity to pinch Murray when he was unhappy with a poor wage offer from us. They ****ing owned us at the Amex whilst we assumed an easy win. We were arrogant, immature and full of gaps.

Gus ****ed up by playing Calderon against Zaha. We lost. End of.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You've missed my point, in that Redknapp has more justification for the reason I described, and yes it is the same, but its about the context. Poyet has less argument in my opinion.

In both cases they should knuckle down with the job and not wash their dirty in linen in public - completely unprofessional.

So, redknapp, at a club that has a higher budget (almost £45m in transfer fees, £56m in wages before the last two transfer windows) has more reason to complain about low budget than poyet at a club with a lower budget (almost £2m* in transfer fees, with a wage bill of £14m**)?

*-transfer fees from transfermarkt.co.uk
**-brighton wage bill from 2012 financials, qpr wage bill from national media reports

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This.

They ****ing owned us at the Amex whilst we assumed an easy win. We were arrogant, immature and full of gaps.

Gus ****ed up by playing Calderon against Zaha. We lost. End of.

No they didn't. We could (should?) have won at their place (Hammond easy header) and were a worldy/lucky save from Barnes and then a clearance off the line from going in front. This we got owned by them if just rubbish. They got their first because for the first time Zaha beat Bridge to the ball and got on the end of a cross from a player who usually overhits the thing. It was close nervy game and they came out on top, simple.

Who would you suggest at right back then seeing as Bruno was out injured?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't get all this budget stuff, a good manager has the ability to wheel and deal in the transfer market. For the time being we are always going to be a selling club to the Premier League, so sell your top players increase your budget and be shrewd in the market.

While Gus doesn't like the loan market I thought last season he did it well bringing in Bridge and Hammond for the whole season.

Be realistic we have lost Bridge and Vicenete and a few fringe players but this creates funds for replacement players, it's just business and part of the football merry go round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here