Could Gus be looking at playing 3 centre backs and two 'wing-backs'?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm probably looking too deep into Gus bringing on Greer late on yesterday to sure up the defence, and obviously our tactics aren't failing at the moment, but could this be a different option? Would give Bridge and Bruno/Calde even more freedom to bomb down the wings and we'd probably only have to play one holding midfielder too.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
No. He bought on Greer because we were shaky at the back. He said he tried 5 at the back in training and said it was bloody awful.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We tried it against Millwall remember

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He has tried it. We were shit. He said he'll never do it again.

Yesterday was a direct response to Burnley ending the game with 3 giants up front, and bombarding our box.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
3-5-2 (5-3-2)is a great system if played properly. Can't see where Bridcutt would fit into that system, unless it was an ultra negative set up. Unless he played as the middle defender.The three midfielders would have to be more attack minded than Liam.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Worse than we played yesterday?

Admittedly it wasn't good yesterday, but WE WON (just in case you were too busy whinging to notice).

I really can't comprehend why you bother with The Albion - if all you can do is moan & slag the side off all the time. I wish you'd routinely bosh an E half an hour before KO; &/or get your GP to get you on the Prozac asap.

Sake. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 18477

3-5-2 (5-3-2)is a great system if played properly. Can't see where Bridcutt would fit into that system, unless it was an ultra negative set up. Unless he played as the middle defender.The three midfielders would have to be more attack minded than Liam.

Bruno - Greer - el abd - Upson - bridge

Hammond - bridcutt - Vicente

Buckley - Ulloa

And you can't see where one of our best players fits in? You say ultra negative... Poyet loves a more negative selection anyway.

Feb 3, 2013
Basically, what ever formation we play, someone is gonna miss out, if we were to play 5-3-2 (which is probably the best formation with 5 at the back) then players like Buckley are gonna miss out. If u take that into account and play 5-2-3 then there will be a small amount of midfielders and will lose a lot of creativity

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South

Buckley - Ulloa

And you can't see where one of our best players fits in? You say ultra negative... Poyet loves a more negative selection anyway.
Are you sugesting leaving out David & Orlandi I don't think so, we are doing well at the moment so why change it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps Gus is looking to play back 3 of Upson El Abd and Greer when all are fit and use 2 wing backs.

Posted by me on 15/2/13 on the Painter gone to Bournemouth thread.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Buckley - Ulloa

Jesus that is a negative line up. It could work like this.

Bruno--------Greer/El Abd--------Bridcutt-------Upson--------Bridge

-------------Lopez-------------Vicente--------Orlandi--------------

------------------------Ulloa------------Cms------------------------

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I'm probably looking too deep into Gus bringing on Greer late on yesterday to sure up the defence, and obviously our tactics aren't failing at the moment, but could this be a different option? Would give Bridge and Bruno/Calde even more freedom to bomb down the wings and we'd probably only have to play one holding midfielder too.
Hope not Greer nearly cost us two points when he hesitated when the ball bounced inside the six yard box just after he came on. I think it was El abd that took control and booted clear. Upson and El Abd have looked solid why change it. Might play Calde instead of Bruno though who has looked shaky since his injury.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
5 at the back only invites teams to attack you - it was a positive for Burnley in the last few minutes yesterday. We are much more talented than that - and have no need to play defensively from the start, even if we've been doing that all season (with usually only one up front). Gus was presumably protecting the three points at the end yesterday but even with 5 at the back Burnley nearly scored with a decent header. We are terrifying teams now - the first 20 minutes again was excellent and we should feel confident that our talent to create chances and score (more) will bring more success than a long line of defenders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports