Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corners - top secret

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I remember when we used to get a corner, you would get all hopeful and anticipate something might happen. Now most people just give a bit of a sigh and seem resigned to nothing happening. You would have thought most teams would score half a dozen during the course of a season with headers from corners, but obviously not us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'd still say they are an improvement on that period at Withdean when every single corner was unable to beat the first man

Tommy Elphick used to get half a dozen goals a season at Withdean, with headers from corners.....Ok, just looked it up and he scored 7 in total for us. Seemed like more lol. But a few of them were headers from corners!!!!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The best corner taker I've ever seen was Andy Hinchcliffe of Everton, Citeh and Sheff Wed fame. He would whip these in flat and at pace, aimed edge of the 6-yard box at 'flick-on' height. I fail to understand why more teams don't employ this tactic, it used to be a nightmare for the keeper to handle.

I quite agree. I can't get my head around why so wonderfully qualified Head Coaches seem devoid of the obvious. If you are just going to lob the ball into the goal area time after time, the goalkeeper is going to eat these all day long. Corners with pace whipped in toward the penalty spot not above head height that can be flicked on or even just redirected cause confusion to defences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here