Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners, throw ins and free kicks..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
i would sooner rather give the opposition a goal kick than let us have a corner. seriously. we stand a much better chance of winning the ball back and creating something than we do scoring from a corner
Funnily enough I have been saying the same since last season, I say it in jest but…

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Our corners are so embarrassingly poor I feel it’s more likely the opposition will counter attack and score than us posing any sort of a goal threat.

I understand the corner conversion statistics aren’t great in general as has been alluded to already, but surely we should occasionally achieve a good delivery and a decent headed chance - we get so many of them

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
17 corners is more than I remember; is it a record number?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our set piece conversion rate is the one thing that is worth a moan. It is f***ing abysmal. I have seen just the one since RDZ joined that looked absolute quality and that was a goal scored in the US tournament. I seem to recall that Gilmour took a few corners there that all looked more threatening than anything March and Gross deliver. It’s a massive frustration to me

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
17 corners today,law of averages says we surely must do something from one of them.....
It’s easiest to look away when we have a corner. Probably better if we just give the oppo a goal kick and not bother. I’m not sure that was the main problem yesterday though. There was very little creativity around the West Ham box. Such a contrast to Wolves and probably says something about the nativity of Gary O’Neill and the experience of David Moyes.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Our set piece conversion rate is the one thing that is worth a moan. It is f***ing abysmal. I have seen just the one since RDZ joined that looked absolute quality and that was a goal scored in the US tournament. I seem to recall that Gilmour took a few corners there that all looked more threatening than anything March and Gross deliver. It’s a massive frustration to me

He’s taken them for Scotland as well, and they’ve generally be pretty good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure that's right. I've always understood that roughly one in 20 corners convert (not with us). The analysis on my link suggests 4% with less than 2% resulting in goals directly from the corner. Those stats feel more realistic than the Prem ones above (I guess you have to ask what they include in their analysis, and how long after the corner they include a goal).

two different stats. one is goals scored from corners, the other corners leading to goals. quite plausible 13% goals come from corners while only 2% of corners lead to a goal.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I think I've finally cracked the code of what the Gross raised right arm means. It signals 'I am about to take the corner and hit the first defender'
Do you think he is putting in a perfect cross for a near post flick on but hasn't realised we don't have anyone on the near post ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who the feck thinks it's a good idea for Dunk to attack the near post at corners, from a starting position a few yards wide of the far side 6 yard box?

Utter madness.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who the feck thinks it's a good idea for Dunk to attack the near post at corners, from a starting position a few yards wide of the far side 6 yard box?

Utter madness.
And we have a guy who’s literal full time job is ‘set piece coach’ 🙄

Doesn’t help that Gross appears to have turned in to Dean Cox with his inability to beat the first man

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Utter madness.
It would be a madness if our corners ever beat the first man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here