Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners - Have we ever been any good?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mike Small was unbeatable in the box from corners and crosses , he flicked it on , someone else would get a chance on goal .

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Less than 2% of corners result in a goal being scored. Only in England do we get all excited about winning one. Rest of Europe sees them for what they are. The defending team has a numerical advantage, inc. a keeper, and is now organised, posed and ready via a well drilled set. And that’s before Solly doesn’t clear the first man...;)

Less than 2% result in a goal, but I reckon we must be on less than 2% of corners finding one of our players, let alone score.

I've been thinking for ages that if opponent is chasing the game against us, and we get a corner, they could easily afford to to take one maybe two players and push them up and try and outnumber us on the counter attack, because our corners have been so poor they can probably get away with having one or two less defenders.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes - for the very brief spell Darren Currie played for us 16 years ago!

That same glorious era when Charlie Oatway got it somehow into his head that he'd practice his Barca-esque silky skills by trotting over to receive a short corner, only to be subjected to a full-blooded bellow of 'Fvck Off Charlie!' from H Block :lol:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That same glorious era when Charlie Oatway got it somehow into his head that he'd practice his Barca-esque silky skills by trotting over to receive a short corner, only to be subjected to a full-blooded bellow of 'Fvck Off Charlie!' from H Block :lol:

:lolol:

I miss H block. The days when each player had their own individual song that they would be serenaded with for the first 10 minutes of the match!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I’ve been watching the Albion since 84, season ticket holder for most of that. As far as I can remember we’ve always been utter gash at corners. Is my memory correct? Has there EVER been an Albion side that’s a consistent goal threat at corners?

It's a good job you didn't start supporting us a decade earlier. Under Peter Taylor, every corner was a short corner. I don't think we ever scored from one under his management. Infuriating.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Used to love it in the early to mid 80's when Hans Kraay would bounce around in the area before the corners came in. Used to love to leave his mark.

kraay.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I remember about 4/5 seasons ago Sean Dyche saying that Burnley had been practicing set pieces before they played us because they knew that was a major area of weakness. And they duly went on and scored from a set piece. So yes, in terms of recent seasons, nothing new to report.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here