Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cork City FC being wound up at 2pm today

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The media's eyes are all on Portsmouth, and many here's probably on Palace, but from a personal point of view, Cork City's fate saddens me more. A friend does a fanzine for them, and I've been to see them a couple of times, seeing them win the Irish league title on the last day of the season in 2005 and their equivalent of the FA Cup in 2007. They've had many UEFA Cup runs and Champions League qualifiers, holding Bayern Munich to a draw in a competitive match, and have the highest gates in Irish football (usually averaging around 3,500 over a season, not bad considering 'soccer' is the poor relation of gaelic football, hurling and rugby, and most people would rather watch English and Scottish matches on TV than attend a local game).

Despite the fact they are probably the biggest (or at least second biggest) football team in Ireland, Cork City FC will officially be wound up at 2pm today. The first of many on both sides of water, I fear.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I wonder what MYOB makes of this!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Again?

There have been more different versions of Cork City than most folk have had hot dinners.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
No more sympathy for them than I have for Pompey. They've lived beyond their means and have screwed a number of people over to stay in business this long no doubt. If they can't pay up and can't find anyone to bail them out then - harsh as it is - they have to go. Why does everyone have such sympathy for the clubs yet don't seem to give a toss about the numerous small businesses, St Johns Ambulance, etc that get repeatedly shafted by them, just because some egotistical chairman 'has a dream'?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
No more sympathy for them than I have for Pompey. They've lived beyond their means and have screwed a number of people over to stay in business this long no doubt. If they can't pay up and can't find anyone to bail them out then - harsh as it is - they have to go. Why does everyone have such sympathy for the clubs yet don't seem to give a toss about the numerous small businesses, St Johns Ambulance, etc that get repeatedly shafted by them, just because some egotistical chairman 'has a dream'?

Agreed. Its mad that these business men who run clubs are the same people that in their own businesses are always cost cutting and dont let a penny out of site, then they buy a football club and spend millions they havent got!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I have sympathy for the fans, but not for the clubs themselves

withdean62

Aug 20, 2008
they are appealing the decision not to grant them a premier licence,this caused the new investors to pull out,however FORAS the supporters trust in cork have applied for a 1st div licence so it might not be the end of the road yet,although if it is the latter it will be a club in cork under a new name:eek:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Supporters trust are highly likely to be given the spare slot in Division 1 caused by shuffling a relegated side back up, and the stadium is owned by the provincial FA so there'll still be a Cork Something playing in Turners Cross next season.

This incarnation of Cork City F.C. claims to date to 1984 but it itself is a replacement from the mid 1990s - they like their clubs bankrupt in Cork!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here