Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell article on Argus Online

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Did anyone see this earlier on? There was an article entitled 'Give it to Coppell if he Wants It' or something similar.

It has now been taken away. Seems a bit odd??

It must mean something - just no idea what!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I did. Bit of a fluff piece from what I remember reading earlier. Just checked, the headline was there, but the article was not found.

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
Here it is:

If Steve Coppell wants to be Albion's manager again then it really is a no-brainer.
He is quite simply the best man for the job.
Falmer was a distant dream when Coppell left in 2003 for Reading, a club already with an impressive stadium, which he then guided from the Championship into the Premiership.

Coppell decided he needed a break after missing out last season on restoring Reading to the top flight with defeat in the play-offs by Burnley, the side eventually promoted.

Golf is his other sporting passion. That has occupied more of his attention in the last six months but he was recently a guest of Sky Sports for the clash between his old club Manchester United and Liverpool. The signs are that his hunger is back.

One problem for Albion is the uncertainty surrounding Phil Brown’s future at Hull. Coppell and other plausible candidates for the Withdean post, such as Gareth Southgate and even Alan Curbishley, may be persuaded to hold fire.

Another perceived problem in some people's eyes is that Alan Mullery and Micky Adams both failed at Albion second time around.
I don’t buy that. Coppell is a different animal. It certainly won’t perturb him, after four different spells at Crystal Palace, and look what Tony Pulis has achieved under a different hierarchy at Stoke?

Pulis could have an unwitting role in Albion's search if Stoke beat Brown's Hull on Sunday but the Seagulls will surely have somebody in place for the Sky televised south coast derby at Southampton a week later.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Here it is:

If Steve Coppell wants to be Albion's manager again then it really is a no-brainer.
He is quite simply the best man for the job.
Falmer was a distant dream when Coppell left in 2003 for Reading, a club already with an impressive stadium, which he then guided from the Championship into the Premiership.

Coppell decided he needed a break after missing out last season on restoring Reading to the top flight with defeat in the play-offs by Burnley, the side eventually promoted.

Golf is his other sporting passion. That has occupied more of his attention in the last six months but he was recently a guest of Sky Sports for the clash between his old club Manchester United and Liverpool. The signs are that his hunger is back.

One problem for Albion is the uncertainty surrounding Phil Brown’s future at Hull. Coppell and other plausible candidates for the Withdean post, such as Gareth Southgate and even Alan Curbishley, may be persuaded to hold fire.

Another perceived problem in some people's eyes is that Alan Mullery and Micky Adams both failed at Albion second time around.
I don’t buy that. Coppell is a different animal. It certainly won’t perturb him, after four different spells at Crystal Palace, and look what Tony Pulis has achieved under a different hierarchy at Stoke?

Pulis could have an unwitting role in Albion's search if Stoke beat Brown's Hull on Sunday but the Seagulls will surely have somebody in place for the Sky televised south coast derby at Southampton a week later.

Is it back up then?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Does seem a bit odd. Being pessimistic, I hope it isn't TB asking them to take it down as it isn't helpful (as he's turned us down?)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was it an Andy Naylor promo ? :laugh:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Does seem a bit odd. Being pessimistic, I hope it isn't TB asking them to take it down as it isn't helpful (as he's turned us down?)

It was a comment piece by Naylor wasn't it. Doubt Coppell would have made up his mind yet but agree, does seem a bit odd. Replaced now by piece with John Gregory saying he wants the job. God no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here